PDA

View Full Version : First Post...New to Acrylics

WendyW
04-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I have been oil painting for a number of years. Since fall I've taken a couple classes in Acrylics, and though I'm still learning, I've had some success with the paint. I do get frustrated at the little window I have to blend the paint on the canvas, however, the quick drying time also pushes me to be looser as well. I have also been experimenting with mediums, to try to extend my drying time & give the paint some gloss. I'm currently working on a larger painting of orange poppies... I'm having some trouble because the acrylic colors I'm using - Cad reds/ oranges & yellows - seem so transluscent, and I'm not able to get the depth that I am able to get with oils... Am I using the wrong colors or is this a painting that just would work better with oils? I did pull out another canvas & am doing the same painting with my oils... which is turning out quite nice - the colors blending & covering well. It just is taking sooo long to dry & I want to try to get the same effects with the acrylics

idylbrush
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Sometimes it takes several layers of color to get it more opaque. A bit of white added can help and there is an opaquing medium from liquitex that should also assist. If everything else fails.....paint a layer of medium gray and then the color over that.

Cad red and yellows should be fairly opaque but if needed try the above. Never underestimate the power of titan buff either.

Have you gone through the information kiosk......link is in my signature line. There is a heapin' bunch of information hidden in there.

mseymour
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes, the cadmium colors should be quite opaque. I've found that it takes a little build-up of paint to achieve real opacity. I put down several layers, doing a fairly opaque underpainting, either a grisaille or in complements, depending on whether I want to glaze in transparent colors or paint in opaque layers. And, I seldom blend; I scumble and dry-bush.