PDA

View Full Version : smugglers cut

dreamz
04-06-2007, 02:51 AM
This one has been staring at me for awhile waiting to be finished..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2007/78160-smugglers_cove_003.jpg
seeing it here the left side looks to trianguler, I had intended to add a palm tree on the right, but I kind of like the low bush..still undecided.. I'll try for a better shot when my daughter brings back my good camera

Bobbo
04-06-2007, 04:01 AM
you created a lot of distance with the blue far shore dreamz
using/mixing/underpainting a bit of red in your near greens will help
the illusion of depth also
you are right about the left bush being to straight
maybe you can put the palm tree leaning into the scene there?

edtree
04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi Dreamz,

I Like what you have started here. I was thinking the yellow path might wind its way to the water. You may already have this in mind since the painting is not done yet :)

I love the foreground undergrowth and even though you have a triangle shape to the left, I didn't find it off-putting at all. To me, it looks very natural. Maybe just keep going and see if you're still unhappy with it later.

Smuggler's idea of some touches of red sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Elizabeth

jan409
04-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Good depth, I wished I could see it better. Please post when finished. Jan

idcrisis55
04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Doc, I really like this one. It has good depth, atmosphere and I like the opening you have with the pathway. I like the idea of a palm tree and think it would look good on the viewer's right side of the painting. Looking forward to what you come up with on this.

buddingartist
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Doc, this is very nice.

The very first area that jumped at me was the depth and distance that you have created with the skies, 2 layers of trees and the water.

I guess I'm envious cause I keep mucking up that part. It is either too blue, too green, too dark or too light:clap: :clap: ..

dreamz
04-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank You all for commenting, the triangle doesnt jump out as much IRL as theres some lighter foliage that doesn't show well in the photo, but it is still there, easy enough to break it up.

Im not sure what is meant by adding red, won't that just make the greens brown?

Elizabeth, the idea is that the path wraps behind the foliage on the right, although this isn't a real scene there are many like it along the intracoastal and local rivers, you wouldn't want to walk on the marshy area under those grasses.

I was thinking about adding some wild wisteria blossums to the forground foliage (violet and white mixture)

mollynix
04-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I too think a palm would be lovely..along with the wisteria that you mentioned!...Molly

Bobbo
04-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Im not sure what is meant by adding red, won't that just make the greens brown?

if you add to much,yes,just a bit to warm them up...

edtree
04-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Dreamz...thanks for the explanation on the path. I see now that it winds to the right :)

As for the red...some red near the green(s) would add a nice contrast. Maybe just a touch. You might try a dash and see if you like it or not. Could be a single flower. Even without though, it's a very nice scene :D

Elizabeth

dribear
04-07-2007, 02:59 AM
Dreamz

I really like it alot! I checked out your webshots and I really enjoy your artwork and your style. It's kinda like the artwork I envision in my own head. If only I could get my hand to cooperate. :)

Andun
04-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Hey Doc:wave:
Great depth showing in this one.I was just wondering though.Do you really need the bush on the left side of our computer screens? If it wasn't there it would really open up the scene.Right now it is acting as a frame.Nothing wrong with that but you usually do frame your scenery and I was wondering what would happen if it was more open.:confused:

dreamz
04-07-2007, 06:16 PM
HI Dri, thank you for the compliments!

Tony your right I do tend to "frame" my pieces, even though I know i shouldn't. You have an interesting point, perhaps I'll try that on the next piece

dreamz
04-08-2007, 04:31 AM
I broke up the triangle a little bit, added some wildflowers but the red ones done show up well. I kind of like the palm but Im undecided if its a cloudy enough day that there wouldn't be a shadow..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2007/78160-smugglers_cut_004.jpg

Andun
04-08-2007, 04:45 AM
That's a dandy palm tree Doc:thumbsup: Actually I think this is my favorite of yours.I like the depth,the colors and I can see the red ones.Putting them there really made it for me.Beauuuuutiful:lol:

Lady Carol
04-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Doc, I like what you have done here. The thing that bugs me and I was hoping that the second version would fix it but alas it didn't is the trees on the right across the lake (now behind the palm tree trunk) They are too dominant for the distance and appear to jump out of the canvas compared to the trees that are also over there. Also they appear to have very uniform shapes which appears to be somewhat unnatural.

I like the foreground but I think it still needs some work, e.g. pick out some highlights.

You know Doc, looking back over your work from when you first joined the forum, do you realize how confident you have become with a brush? You have a nice style going too.

dreamz
04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Carol, your right, they are kind of dark, I was trying for an island look but somehow can't get the right color. I'll try to lighten that area....

Tony.. I cant even see the red IRL, I had to check there was paint on my brush on a scrap of paper because even as I was applying it, it would disappear. Everyone wants to adjust my TV because they say its too red but when they do all I see is blue/green and adjust it back 4 myself:lol:

jan409
04-08-2007, 03:47 PM
I really like this one. It is so peacful and the atmosphire is great. Love it. Jan

swampborn
04-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Love your sky and the palm tree. Great job!
Gail