PDA

View Full Version : Which lens?

siyenna
04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a canon 400D (rebel XTi, I think!) with an 18-55mm lens en compris and I now really want to get a zoom lens. I've been looking around and the price ranges for the same size lens are enormous! Should I try and get a second hand one costing about 100 ($200) or go for a better quality new one? I've got a limit of up to about 250 ($500 approx.) What should I do?
Thankyou!

Kevin M
04-06-2007, 04:54 AM
Both these lenses have 'excellent' image quality, are light and portable and are reasonably priced.

Canon EF 24- 85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (220)
Tamron AF 28- 75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di (240)

Kevin

siyenna
04-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Thankyou Kevin, I will look them up now!

Kevin M
04-06-2007, 06:02 AM
Hi Siyenna

I found the Canon 24-85 a very useful lens. Its only drawback (for me) was that I needed a slightly faster lens for working in poor available light (theatre etc). Stopped down a couple of stops for landscapes etc it performs as good as a lens you would pay four times the money for.

The Tamron 28-75 is faster and seems to have excellent feedback from users.

Kevin

Kallistos
04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Why don't you try and get a second hand good lens on eBay or from a dealer? If it's technically in good condition, then you could save up to 50% or more!

Kevin M
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Good advice Charlie,

Despite the horror stories one frequently hears about buying from ebay, my experience has been overall very positive.

I have made numerous purchases on eBay auctions and shops without any bad results. I bought 3 Zeiss lenses on different auctions for rediculously low amounts of money. All arived in perfect condition - and from what I could see - seem to have been hardly ever used since the date of manufacture. With the appropriate adapter, first class optics minus autofocus and auto full aperture focus - but if you have been brought up in the manual school it is only a matter of de-ja-vu and not worth considering as a a drawback to the ease of taking pictures.

I also managed to buy an 'genuine' retail version of Photoshop ( which I had no trouble registering with Adobe) from an eBay shop for much less than I would pay in Ireland (480 instead of 830)

Kevin