PDA

View Full Version : An excercise from Lee Hammond's book

dribear
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2007/103507-ref_candle.jpg

please C&C away.

jan409
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Very good, it looks like clear glass. I have been working on clear glass, and it is hard. The reflections are great. Jan

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I like the simplified style and the bold approach. and yes, it's good clear glass and metal.

Not knowing what exactly the exercise was meant to achieve, it's difficult to give a crit.

What shape is the plate beneath the wick holder? It looks stright-sided with curved ends - so fine if that's the correct shape but, there are a number of ellipses working down from the candle which need really careful attention if you want to be accurate. ..... and the further beneath your eye level they are, the greater the curvature,
These are probably one of the most difficult shapes to get right! My advice (if you want to be able to draw a good ellipse!) is to practise, practise, practise .. on cheap paper, with pencil or charcoal and just make the whole arm swing around the shape. That will keep the drawing loose and allow the freedom to explore and memorise ..... you're really trying to make the arm remember the movement! Don't erase - just get the circles and ellipses going - the right line will be in there ... somewhere :D

You're doing well - keep going :D

karma kat
04-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I was going to say the same thing-good reflections! I have the same book and I have only done a couple of the exercises. I sketched a lot of them onto canvas paper for when I get the chance to do them, though. There's a lot of good information in her books. I'm a little scared of the last section on painting people, but she makes it look simple enough....I guess I'll see when I get there. :D

idcrisis55
04-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I think you did a fine job too. As has been said, the glass looks like glass and the metal looks like metal. One thing I have found that helps is to do exercises or studies more than once. Each time, something new is learned. :)

C_Line
04-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Well done exercise. I think the flame is especially good.