PDA

View Full Version : Forest Green (Encaustic)

anthony mauve
04-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Forest Green is an encaustic on panel 48" x 48".

regards,
anthony

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2007/16054-forestgreen.jpg

Florence
04-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Beautiful green! I love the light in this. I see the surface of a pond, you can glimpse the fish swimming just below :)

Diane Cutter
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
This is a beautiful piece! That green with the bits of red really sing... and the composition is very pleasing!

Diane

digitaleyes
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Love this! The colors are outstanding!:clap:

sbarre
04-05-2007, 12:01 PM
The reds really pop against that almost irridesent(sp?) green. I imagine it's even more dramatic when viewed first hand - given the large size.

Very nice,
Steve

floopy
04-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Oooh,
Anthony,
This is a bit of a departure from what I have seen of yours, and I LOVE it. The textures are delicious, and the green on red works really well for me. I can see more of your "hand" in this. Oh, and it smells good!

Wilsonart
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Very beautiful koi pond!
Greens always get to me,,,,,,wish we could really
see the depth that I know is there.
And WOW, the size of this,,,,,,,,,,,awesome!!

anthony mauve
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for comments folks--floopy, it does smell good--I only use beeswax so the piece smells like honey--Babs and Florence, sorry, no pond, no fish, you're imagining them--no objects at all in this piece--just colors on a panel.

regards,
anthony

avani
04-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Very striking! Anthony, Could you please describe how you made this? I've tried to understand the method but still am a little confused...

anthony mauve
04-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Encaustic painting is much like oil/acrylic painting--the main difference is that the wax is heated to a liquid state and hardens "dries" instantly. Tools are bristle brushes, pallete knives, and heating elements like irons, tackers, and batik-like pens. Same rules of composition, color, apply.

If you're painting in encaustic and there's something specific I can help you with let me know.

regards,
anthony

avani
04-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks a lot Anthony!
I'm trying to help my daughter build a portfolio for an Art school. I thought I'd have her do something in Encoustics. But I'm not sure if I've got the principles of encoustic painting, and am not missing out on some vital point.

Do you just heat Beeswax and add pigment to it and paint with it, with whatever the tool of choice? And what can you use for pigments? Oil colors or Soft pastels or acrylics or just pure pigments? If it's only the last one, it's going to be a bit difficult as I doubt I'll find them here in Bombay easily.

Thanks again! :)

anthony mauve
04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I think your daughter should present work in the medium that demonstrates her talent best. Asking her to attempt to work in a new medium is asking too much of her. And, frankly, anyone on the admission committee would be certain to note that she was working in an unfamiliar medium rather than in one where she had obtained at least a degree of expertise.

Have her stay with the medium she knows and likes best--and strive for excellence in her subject matter and presentation. If she is accepted into the school she can then query her instructors on encaustic technique.
Good luck!

regards,
anthony

omniartz
04-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Beautiful colors! Good composition! I don't know a thing about working with encaustics, but you have knowledge and insight shown here! Well done! :)

whizzysha
04-07-2007, 07:16 AM
:clap: love this.

I keep threatening to have a go at encaustic but ant found the time yet.:)

Pilan
04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! I love this combination and the texture on this painting!

WONDERFUL:thumbsup:

avani
04-09-2007, 04:55 AM
Thanks for your reply, Anthony.
I wanted her to try out a couple of techniques and then shortlist her best efforts for the portfolio. I wouldn't necessarily include it if it didn't look "right". For making that decision, I'll ofcourse be relying on a professional.
She's a natural with many mediums and thought I'd let her try this one out too... :)