PDA

View Full Version : Taking A Dip

Old Tex
04-05-2007, 12:09 AM
You knew I had to do a cow eventually.

This is actually a composite of two library photos. Thanks to the contributors. Cross-posted in the Landscape Forum.

C&C always welcome.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2007/100938-Taking_A_Dip.jpg

meglyman
04-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Ralph,

Great job. I love cows. The anatomy is great. The water is marvelous. The foliage is wonderful. How'd you get the sky so bright? It rocks.

I have only two small suggestions. First, the foreground grass is well-executed and delicate, but also very uniform, which makes it boring compared to the rest of the piece, which is full of wonderful texture & brushstrokes. Second, the cow really pops out because its color is complimentary to the scenery, but I think you could harmonize the piece by bringing more of the cow color into the foliage or foliage color into the cow - maybe as reflected light?

Those are small things though. I love the chunky look of the cow, and the flowers are beautifully textured and colored. Do more cows! (please?)

Meg

Sonia
04-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Nice one - reminiscent of hazy summer days!

Old Tex
04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks, Meg! I threw a little yellow into white on the sky, wanted it to look hot. Foliage colors are something I'll be working on for awhile, trying to get more colors into the greens. I painted over that foreground three times, working with colors and brushstrokes. Made the mistake of being too tied to the reference photo, I think. Should have added a few clumps and weeds. I suspect you'll see more cows. Glad you like it.

Sonia, thanks! That's what I was trying to portray, so I guess I got close.

MarieMeyer
04-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Very nice job on shaping the cow. Were you thinking of it as a series of planes?

Old Tex
04-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Not consciously, Marie, but that is what I was seeing. Fortunately, the light hitting the cow emphasized a lot of the muscles and planes. It did make it easier to interpret the shapes.