PDA

View Full Version : Emulsion

Wassie
04-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm brand new to this forum, so this subject may have been covered already.

I'm reading about a still life artist, Antony Haylock, who paints in acrylics. He says he uses an emulsion as his medium. Of what would this emulsion consist?:confused:

He says he uses trade emulsions. I'm assuming this means he doesn't make his own.:confused:

So, what does he mean by emulsion:confused: Is this some kind of drying retarder for acrylics:confused: He says he lets them dry out a little (basically leaving the lid off overnight) to give the paints a more workable consistency. Acrylics dry so fast that I was wondering what kind of emulsion an acrylic painter would use.

dreamz
04-05-2007, 12:32 AM
I think emulsion is the British term for paint and not what we on this side of the pond would usually think of .. I.E. an emulsion of oil and vinager for salad dressing. This forum is open to people from all over the world and often terms are unfamiliar or used differently from what we are used to. There was a posting on vitimins a short while back, not the small tablets that we in the states think of vitimins but rather pieces of fruit..

Welcome to WC, not only a great place to explore and learn about art but also the world

timelady
04-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Emulsion is our house/wall paint over here.

Tina.

rassilier
04-05-2007, 04:17 PM
An "emulsion" as a medium might just refer to the non-pigmented acrylic polymer. Like gloss or matte medium. The acrylic polymer that binds paint is, by itself, an emulsion of polymerized resin suspended in water.

frodron
04-05-2007, 04:38 PM
In the U.K., emulsion paint is used on interior walls & ceilings
I have used matt or satin finish white emulsion as a primer on hardboard (masonite ?) or on surplus wallpaper, but not as an artists' paint.
I don't know who Antony Haylock is, but I would be interested in seeing his work using this medium. I would have thought that it was on the thin side for serious work.

sp00ky2002
04-05-2007, 07:03 PM
off -topic but what do you americans call our emulsion? i.e. the paint you use on your walls for decorating?

laudesan
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
House paint is just that here..... house paint..:)

dreamz
04-06-2007, 12:50 AM
we call it......... paint :lol: there's interior. exterior, latex or oil but its all called just paint

Wassie
04-06-2007, 02:02 AM
An "emulsion" as a medium might just refer to the non-pigmented acrylic polymer. Like gloss or matte medium. The acrylic polymer that binds paint is, by itself, an emulsion of polymerized resin suspended in water.

I was thinking that this is the answer. But Antony Haylock is from the UK and others from the UK say that emulsion is house paint. He didn't mention house paint in the article I was reading in the International Artist Magazine.

Wassie
04-06-2007, 02:07 AM
In the U.K., emulsion paint is used on interior walls & ceilings
I have used matt or satin finish white emulsion as a primer on hardboard (masonite ?) or on surplus wallpaper, but not as an artists' paint.
I don't know who Antony Haylock is, but I would be interested in seeing his work using this medium. I would have thought that it was on the thin side for serious work.

Antony Haylock is from the UK. His website was given as www.ahstudios.co.uk (http://www.ahstudios.co.uk) in the International Artist Magazine but I don't think that website exists anymore. I wish you could see his work. I think you can go to www.internationalartist.com (http://www.internationalartist.com) and buy the April/May 2007 issue.

frodron
04-06-2007, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the info Wassie, I have tried to access his site but it does not appear to exist.

Einion
04-06-2007, 06:21 AM
I was thinking that this is the answer. But Antony Haylock is from the UK and others from the UK say that emulsion is house paint. He didn't mention house paint in the article I was reading in the International Artist Magazine.
This is confusing but I'm sure, if he speaks of it as his medium that he is simply referring to an acrylic medium. These are quite commonly called emulsions, see page 7 of the The Acrylic Book PDF from Liquitex; other sources may refer to them as suspensions but regardless, in this case they are the same thing.

Since Haylock mentions that he uses trade emulsions he's probably referring to one of the source acrylic mediums that are made by the big chemical firms, like Rhoplex* made by Rohm & Hass, that are used to make the paints and medium we buy from the paintmaking firms.

There's often little or no difference to what we can buy as artists (although often there's more water added) it's just that if you use in bulk you're going to be saving a lot of buying from a supplier rather than paying retail. It's just the same as if we could purchase pigments from the original manufacturers instead of in little jars from W&N or Sennelier.

*"Rhoplex N-580 - An aqueous acrylic emulsion..."

Einion

Wassie
04-06-2007, 05:15 PM
In his article, Antony Haylock wrote, "Unlike most still life painters, I use emulsion as my medium."

I emailed him and asked what he means by emulsion and this is the reply I got:
Hi Quwatha,

Thanks for the email, it's nice to have the interest, I'm sorry, I had forgotten that the use of the word emulsion would not relate to other areas of the world. It is basically acrylic, but it is the type of basic matt paint you would use to put on your walls of your house, I think you'd know it as "Vinyl Matt". There are Dulux Decorator Centres over here that you can get paint mixed to whatever colour you wish. I usually get 'Dulux' sample colour pots which are in 1/4 litre pots (cheaper than artist acrylics too!). I leave the lids off for a day or so to thicken the paint and give the slight texture I like. I have looked on the internet and found that there are such centres in the states, check out www.dulux.com (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/x-msg://33/www.dulux.com) it might help. Oh, the black tends to come out slightly grey, so I use artists black acrylic for this. ..."

It seems from his article in the "International Artist" that he is using it not as a medium for altering the characteristics of the paint but as paint for the basic layers of his painting.

Einion
04-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Oh my God, he actually did mean what we call emulsion paint over here! :lol:

I had included this comment in my original post but edited it out, should have left it in: artists are often confusing when they talk about their materials or techniques.

Einion

frodron
04-07-2007, 09:44 AM
We have an artist in the U.K. called Rolf Harris, an Australian, who used to appear in a T.V.programme, where he would paint large murals with a 6" brush & large tins of paint, which I took to be emulsion paint.
I have never come across anyone using it for smaller paintings, although I know of the small sample tins sold here & will have to try them sometime