PDA

View Full Version : Full Sets?

KOP
04-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Who here has a full set of a brand?

You see, I was thinking about getting one, any recomendations? I was thinking about girault, schmincke, or maybe even sennelier, I hope they won't crumble, have they fixed that yet?

By the way, I had gotten a sample of various brands of pastels. I think some must have been flukes! The sennelier, Cinnabar Green, was beautiful, but full of rocks (you know, those hard shiny bits that scrape paper) and was just too hard to use on paper. It was one of the thinner older sennies, are the new ones better?

Winsor newton was one I sampled too, I was very pleased! It was buttery soft, are they all like that or was it just the Paynes Grey I tried? Because usually harder pastels like W&N are suppost to be don't layer well over softer pastesl, but it did very well over schmincke. What's up, did they reformulate rescently or something.

So yeah, full sets, good idear, right?

nana b
04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I want a full set of schminke! That's my first choice. Then a full set of sennelier or unisons or both:cool:......then of course ludwig......then...
I have never had a sennelier do that and have never tried the wn.

nana b

KOP
04-04-2007, 07:30 PM
I know, those are great, you'll never know unless you actually try them.

For me though, I love to layer and layer, so I need a good pastel that can do that.

Dakota should make a list of the best layerers, to go along with their list of soft-hard. Just a thoght.

DAK723
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Although different brands of Pastels are catagorized as being a certain softness or hardness, it seems to me that there are always certain colors - due to the make up of the actual pigment - that are harder.

I have never bought a full set because when browsing through color swatches of each pastel, I always think that about half are colors I won't use.

Each maker seems to have various strengths and weaknesses. I love giraults for the subtle and more "grayed" colors, but they don't have enough lights. For really light pastels, I usually get senneliers, but for general use find them too soft. Have a bunch of rembrandts, but they lack really dark darks. Same with Winsor & Newton. So rather then get one big set I pick and choose.

Don

K Taylor-Green
04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I have a full set of Schmimkes in half sticks. A friend and I went together to get it. While I love them, I think if I were going to buy a full set for myself, it would be Giraults. Most of my pastels have been bought in smaller sets or open stock.
I love variety!

CJMonty
04-05-2007, 03:25 AM
I have a full set of Rembrandts which I use for my main painting then highlight with Schminke of which I also have the full set, both of these were gifts from my Husband. :)

CJ

Merethe T
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I have full sets of Faber Castell and the Nupastels, I like hard pastels to do the "groundwork" with - and these brands are affordable and last long,lol...

I have a lot of Rembrandts and W&N's too, but like others here have mentioned- they don't have enough darks, so I wouldn't buy the full sets of them. I find all the W&N's the same softness, so if you like Paynes grey i think you'd like them all. I prefer pick and choose for now, that way I can get a great range of darks and lights, harder and softer handpicked for my style.

I've been thinking of getting a full set, but I can't decide what brand to choose....I like Giraults a lot, and Unisons...but lately I've tried some Great Americans - and now I want them! :D I you like W&N's you might enjoy Great Americans too, buttery but firm, and great colors....

Ah well, don't know if this is of any help at all for you, but it's always fun to talk about pastel-shopping...lol ;)

Merethe

prettytulips
04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I have a full set of Nupastels, FCP's, Giraults (half sticks), Rembrandt (half sticks), Holbein, Mount Vision (have set with Sooz, GRHS), I have about 50 Schminke's and 100 Senneliers.

I wouldn't do Sennelier again. Once you have Girault you know you can't live without them. The colors are perfect and rare. Rembrandt for filling in large amts of color. Nupastels I don't like much. FCP's for detail and Holbeins are great too.

Giraults are tiny tiny.... Mt. Vision are beefy. Those two sets compliment eachother well I think. If you can find another pastelist to split a full set, you'll be very happy. It gives you the palete you crave.....

KOP
04-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I have full sets of Faber Castell and the Nupastels, I like hard pastels to do the "groundwork" with - and these brands are affordable and last long,lol...

I have a lot of Rembrandts and W&N's too, but like others here have mentioned- they don't have enough darks, so I wouldn't buy the full sets of them. I find all the W&N's the same softness, so if you like Paynes grey i think you'd like them all. I prefer pick and choose for now, that way I can get a great range of darks and lights, harder and softer handpicked for my style.

I've been thinking of getting a full set, but I can't decide what brand to choose....I like Giraults a lot, and Unisons...but lately I've tried some Great Americans - and now I want them! :D I you like W&N's you might enjoy Great Americans too, buttery but firm, and great colors....

Ah well, don't know if this is of any help at all for you, but it's always fun to talk about pastel-shopping...lol ;)

Merethe

that was very informative Merethe. Thanks!:)

I have a full set of Nupastels, FCP's, Giraults (half sticks), Rembrandt (half sticks), Holbein, Mount Vision (have set with Sooz, GRHS), I have about 50 Schminke's and 100 Senneliers.

I wouldn't do Sennelier again. Once you have Girault you know you can't live without them. The colors are perfect and rare. Rembrandt for filling in large amts of color. Nupastels I don't like much. FCP's for detail and Holbeins are great too.

Giraults are tiny tiny.... Mt. Vision are beefy. Those two sets compliment eachother well I think. If you can find another pastelist to split a full set, you'll be very happy. It gives you the palete you crave.....

this was informative too, thank you as well!:cool:

and to the rest of you, CJMonty, K Taylor-Green, DAK723, nana b, my thanks for your imput.

P. Tulips, you're right, Girault does have those hard to get and useful colors, I'm seriously thinking about working with those mainly, and perhaps some W&N for when I need something really soft that will cover well.

:smug: :) :smug: :)

time to make some art!

prettytulips
04-26-2007, 01:24 AM
I was really impressed with WN on sanded paper. But the darks aren't dark. Really, you might want to try the Mount Visions with the Giraults. MV's do well with layering.

Paula Ford
04-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I have a full set of Mount Visions and am about to get a full set of deMarrias Pastels (there are only 50 I think).

I would also love to have a full set of Giraults. Those are my top 3 picks.

Paula

Kathryn Wilson
04-26-2007, 11:15 AM
I just bought a full set of Mount Visions - basically because of the 5 different values in a color - it's a good set to build on with other favorite sticks. I like Giraults, but they don't have enough light colors so you have to augment them with another brand.

I don't like Nupastels - I find their colors to be too harsh - I'd rather have Art Spectrum for my harder sticks. Terry Ludwig darks are to die for.

Shari
04-26-2007, 11:43 AM
I have almost a full set of Unisons which I have collected bit by bit, but they are my favorite overall. I also have the full set of Mt. Visions. I have almost all Schmincke and for really soft pastels, they are wonderful. I now have the full set of Great American, which I got last Fall, and I love their square shape but I have to admit, I am hooked on Giraults for my hard pastels, and I am planning to buy more at IAPS!!! There are about 7 Sennelier's that I must have, in their very dark greens and blues.

nana b
04-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Shari, wow, a full set of unisons and schminkes! I wish! I do like the Giraults, they remind me of the conte pastel pencils which seens to be dryer but can get great results. Do you use them on sanded papers like wallis? They seem to really leave a lot of dry dust on them. Or do you use them on canson papers or something else?

nana b