PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Chrome

danreed
04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I just completed my 4th acrylic painting. This painting is based on a photo I took at a car show last fall. I'm building a frame for it now which will also be an intregral part of the overall artwork - I'll post the completed project in a few days. I enjoy rendering chrome and this sure fit the bill. Its 18"x24" on board.

Dan

Linee
04-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I really like this one! What a fun perspective. I am also a fan of blue and green. :) I love the spruce reflection on the bumpers.

amurphy
04-03-2007, 01:54 PM
This is so realistic. I love the headlights. But it is all excellent. Have you painted in other mediums before?

Audrey

lilbelle
04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
This is fantastic!!! Excellent chrome and I love your reflections. Masterful work!!!
Lillian

razamakaz
04-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Just one word. BRILLIANT :)

paintbrush1974
04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
are you sure this is not the photo!:lol:

:eek: amazingggg

Selahs art
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow, this is really good.

Retha

dreamz
04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
you do really stunning work! it's photographic

hoofty
04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Just fantastic, I'll bet any collector of old Caddies, would love to have this one on their wall. :)

topgun
04-03-2007, 05:53 PM
This is brilliant Dan, well done

Marzouq

jan409
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
This is so good, at first I thought you were showing us your reference. It is that good. The reflecetions are wonderful. Well, everything is wonderful. Jan

Barrynotlarry
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
So nice, a real KO
Barry

Hoofmama
04-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Awesome:clap:

Margaret 59
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Everything here looks great. Well done!

lensman
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Your fourth acrylic!! Please tell us you've painted in other mediums before... Excellent work.

Okay, I can't let this one go... Do you use an airbrush at all? Do you mask off areas when painting? The reason I ask is the beautiful and sharply defined different shapes in this painting.

Glenn

Lady Carol
04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Beautiful.

Faded
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I thought I was looking at a photograph until I noticed your signature. Excellent work
-David

danreed
04-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Glenn - Yeah, this is my fourth acrylic painting - I usually work in Prismacolor colored pencils. I haven't had much painting experience until this past few months. No, I don't use airbrush. This is all done with regular brushes. I only used masking to splatter in the texture in the pavement. I layed down a large piece of tracing paper and drew an outline of the cars. Then I cut out that shape with sizzors and basically masking out everything but the pavement. Then I dipped a toothbrush in wet paint (dark brown and light cream) and spattered the texture into the pavement area - heavier in the foreground and lighter back by the third car.

Dan

idcrisis55
04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Everyone has said it so well. Just want to add my :thumbsup:

Andun
04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Ahhh to be able to paint realistic metal:) Your Cadillacs are beautiful.I wish I could do that!!!

C_Line
04-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Brilliant work.

karma kat
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
This is really great work! The reflections of the sky in the bumper is really neat. :clap: :thumbsup:

rassilier
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Holy schmoly! :clap:
Only your 4th painting!? What did you do in your previous life?

There's nothing like the chrome on an old Caddy.

Thomas Greaves
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Supermagnification Of This Image Reveals....guess What....it Is A Photograph....seems Some People Will Believe Anything.
Focus on the tiny bright reflection just to the right of the second licence plate...zoom in....more...see what I mean?

rassilier
04-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Supermagnification Of This Image Reveals....guess What....it Is A Photograph....seems Some People Will Believe Anything.
Focus on the tiny bright reflection just to the right of the second licence plate...zoom in....more...see what I mean?
Dude, what are you smokin'? How on earth can you blow up a low-res image to "supermagnification", as you call it , and see anything except pixels? Is this a joke or what?

AndyMcC
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Beautiful, the chrome looks photo real :)

greymist
04-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Great job, Dan. Just beautiful.

Lisa

Katie D
04-04-2007, 07:59 PM
This is fantastic Dan! Great colors, composition and the chrome is wonderful.

edtree
04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
WoW! This really raises the bar! Beautiful painting and beautifully painted. Thank you for including your technique on the gravel; I will have to try that :)

Elizabeth

lensman
04-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Dan, I've taken a good look at your work here and on your website... superlative. I'm also into pen and ink and I didn't want to resurrect an old post of yours to ask this so I'll ask here: In your P&I hatching would I be correct in saying that you do very little - if any - contour hatching? Your rounded fenders etc, still seem so rounded even without contours. Amazing.

RTT
04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Very impressive - Congratulations!

danreed
04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Thomas Greaves - Thanks for the complement. Attached is a closer look - hopefully some of the brush strokes are evident.

lensman - You are correct in that I do not use "contour hatching" - its all straight lines. I should do a tutorial on pen & ink some day. That would be easier than trying to describe the technique in text alone. I would say, take a look again at one of my P&I drawings and keep in mind that fewer layers of lines, the lighter the tone. More crossed hatched layers the darker the tone. I map out ahead of time where my darkest and lightest areas will be, then I work in towards the middle.

I mentioned in my initial post that I would show you the Caddy painting as I intended to have it look once framed - I'll post that image sometime tomorrow.

Dan

catrus
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I love it, even this detail. It's so abstract. Thanks for the instruction on the pavement, too.

Thomas Greaves
04-04-2007, 10:19 PM
OK i went to the trouble of providing evidence, as obviously very few have monitors with enough resolution to see for themselves
I took the spot of light, one of thousands, took it to full magnification in windows picture and fax viewer....opened it in windows paint....magnified it x400 and printed the screen again.
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time.....but this time you didn't fool me!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2007/102755-aa.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2007/102755-xx.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2007/102755-xxx-1.jpg

timelady
04-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Um, so a digital close-up of a digital photograph (or digital scan) of an artwork proves what exactly? That the software produced quite a nice equal blur shine shape in order to render a very smooth graduated white oval shape? Not a surprise.

What about the fact that the sun 'shines' in the originally posted image have 'spikes'? Reflected light in a photograph doesn't look like spikes. Also look at the trees reflected in the first two bumpers. In the second the tree to the right of the tree with the sun over it is a different shape (and different 'negative' space of sky) than in the first bumper. Also, the proportion of space between the tree with sun over it and the small two to the left is completely different. In a true reflection, ie photograph, while the reflection images will differ of course the proportions would be the same. This is painted.

And NONE of that is a criticism of the painting! :)

Yes, there are people who fraudulently post photos (or photoshopped photos) as original work but we also have incredible realism artists here on Wetcanvas. Context is always worth looking at and looking at Dan's website (which I've seen before anyway) makes it clear that this is his regular style of work and that he's known for it in his genre.

Tina.

rassilier
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
OK i went to the trouble of providing evidence, as obviously very few have monitors with enough resolution to see for themselves
I took the spot of light, one of thousands, took it to full magnification in windows picture and fax viewer....opened it in windows paint....magnified it x400 and printed the screen again.
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time.....but this time you didn't fool me!
Nobody tried to fool you...you're doing an excellent job all by yourself.

sp00ky2002
04-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I'll second that rassilier. You only have to look at the work on his site to see that realism is / was his forte in coloured pencil.. Would expect nothing less than that from his acrylic work also...

I'm suffering from acrylic envy just looking at that painting now... :)

danreed
04-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Thomas Greaves - Looks like I did a fine job of fooling you. I spent three weeks and a lot of acrylic paint to do it. The star shape in your example is not in the painting - its simply a white oval shape. Really, if you spent that much time looking at it up close surely you would see its a painting. Your welcome to come see it in person anytime. Your comments throughout this thread are a real compliment to a realist painter.

Attached is the framed version. I just bought pine molding from Home Depot and used a router to put a 1/4 radius on the outer edges of the frame. Then I used a mix of Maple and Walnut stain. The inner frame around the painting is screwed into the hardboard from the back. The hardboard is covered in black felt.

Dan

danreed
04-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry - I forgot to add that the Cadillac emblem and the chrome letters were pulled from an old Caddy in a local junk yard many years ago. At that time I never imagined that they would have been put to this use. I also had to do quite a bit of polishing with a dremmel tool in order to restore the shine to these elements!

Dan

MonicaB
04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow, Dan, no wonder we haven't seen you in Pen and Ink lately! :D This is even more amazing --dare I say it -- than your ink work.

TxAggieDarlin
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Dan, have you posted in the CP section your cars that you did with CP? If so, they were awesome and always amazing.

This is a beautiful painting. I looked at it and thought, "No, you cannot do this." LOL, it is awesome.

Lady Carol
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Thomas Greaves - Looks like I did a fine job of fooling you.
:lol:

TheRaven
04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Fantastic! I love those Caddys.
I agree with the individual who said he has acrylic envy...me too :envy: :wink2:
Exceptional work! :thumbsup:

Southern Style
04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Fantastic work! And it looks wonderful framed!

Gary_Rankin
04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice work mate . . . as somewhat of a "realistic painter" myself, I can surely appreciate all that goes into something like this. I like the framed version too . . . the old Caddy emblem and the chrome letters are a nice touch.

Thanks for share'n,
Gary

(Side note: My first car was a '61 Caddy . . . I now have a '90 Coupe deVille . . . not as old as these, but it's a bit of a classic in it's self :) )

rassilier
04-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Crikey! that framing job is first rate. Perfect addition to a terrific painting. :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Top drawer stuff this :D

The framing is rather special too - thanks for sharing this Dan :D

phobden
04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm dumbfounded!
Superb rendition. Congratulations.:clap:

laudesan
04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh my absolutely beautiful painting..:clap: :clap:

Bobbo
04-06-2007, 04:17 AM
nice one Dan
love those ottt American cars
doesn't look like your 4th painting at all
very impressive!

amaze_1101
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Dan the Man!

I've decide to throw my brushes away and take up knitting after seeing this.

I'm GOBSMACKED!

Andi59
04-06-2007, 06:13 PM
My God!

Dan that is mind blowing...

I like this as much as I love abstract and mixed media, just perfection..

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AK

danreed
04-06-2007, 07:30 PM
You guys are way too kind. I certainly appreciate the wonderfull feedback!

I was so leary of getting back into painting - fear, mostly. I've been working in colored pencil for the past fifteen years and resently when I began working in acrylics I was getting frutrated, but now after a few paintings I feel better.

amaze_1101 - I've been on your website and have seen your work - You better not throw away your brushes!! Your top notch. I love the "Monarch" in your acrylics gallery.

Dan

Propwash
04-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Dude, can't really say anything that hasn't already been said! This painting is awesome!

maverick
04-06-2007, 11:59 PM
This is stunning work, and the frame and emblem idea is brilliant.