PDA

View Full Version : Opened a store!

kjsspot
04-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Hi ya'll! I took advantage of the free listing day and I opened a store. =) It made for a long week but I now have 52 items in my store. YEAH! No sales yet though... LoL I hope it works out decent for me. Only time will tell. ;)

kjsspot
04-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Does anyone else here have a store? What pricing theory do you use? I mean, basing it upon your auctions, I generally set my price in between the starting bid and the BIN price. Does that seem like a good strategy? For example, if I have an auction that starts at $24.94 with a BIN of $49.94 than I set my store price at $34.94. Does that sound reasonable?

Sumafra
04-28-2002, 09:26 PM
KJO, I'm not familiar with the 'store' thing. Is this Ebay's new 'fixed price' system, instead of auctions?? Sounds interesting. Will these items show up on a search just like the auctions? How long can you leave them there? That sounds really interesting. Please tell us more.

kjsspot
04-29-2002, 12:29 AM
Sure! First of all go to my store so you can see how it's laid out, what it looks like.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/kjogalleryofpaintingandart

Now me personally, I prefer this kind of lay out. I think the categories make it a lot easier to browse. I mean, if you like abstracts, you really don't want to wade through a lot of pop art kitty paintings or realistic landscapes. I think it makes a GREAT gallery page for artists.

When you have a store, it's a $9.99 monthly fee. Both your auctions and your fixed price items will appear in your store. However, only your auctions will appear in the auction listings. If you do a search by seller ID, they will all show up.

If you notice on ebays pages, you can now browse by auction or by store.

After you open a store, if you chose to list fixed priced items instead of auctions, then the listing fees are a LOT lower. A 30 day listing is 5, 60 days is 10 etc up to 120 days. If you want the gallery picture it's 25, 35, 45 & 55 for 30, 60, 90, 120 days respectively.

Here's ebay's page that explains everything more in detail.

http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/seller-landing.html

But they had a free listing day last Thursday and the first 30 days is supposed to be a free trial on the $9.99 fee as well. So I said, what the heck, and am trying it out. =)

Now, I have a friend that opened a store and she's doing pretty good selling notecards with her work on them. Once school is out, I'll probably be trying the same.

Hope that answers your questions some! Let me know if I can explain anything clearer.

Sumafra
04-29-2002, 08:59 PM
Thanks, KJO, I'll have to check it out.

kjsspot
04-29-2002, 09:11 PM
You're welcome Suzette! And guess what? :D I had my FIRST sale from my store today!! WOOHOOO!!!

CathyD
04-30-2002, 01:15 AM
Congrats on your store and sale KJO, keep us posted on your progress. Wow, where do you find the time to paint all those paintings, girl?

;)

Cathy

timelady
04-30-2002, 06:37 AM
Do keep us updated! I considered stores a while ago but wasn't sure about the $9.99 fee. What if I didn't want to list paintings for a month? Like in january when I was out of the country? I didn't want to pay $9.99 for something I wasn't using. Every dollar counts for me. Anyway, that was my thought at the time. I usually spend $30-40 a month on fees and it would be interesting to try a store and just list a couple auctions to keep a presense in the searches.

Something fun to try would be to share a store with other artists, but of course it would mean building feedback on a new ID.

congrats on the sale! If you get more this week I might be tempted to have a try. :D

Tina.

arlene
04-30-2002, 09:38 AM
I don't get it...if you have a link on your about me page to your website and your website can take orders, then what's the point of shelling out another $9.99/month plus listing fees?

Seems to me that's an awful lot of notecards to sell just to break even.

kjsspot
04-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Well, I just sold a $35 painting there that I had listed several times in auction with no sales. That right there gives me a profit for my first month! It was a wonderful painting. I mean, there was nothing wrong with it or the pictures of it and there was no reason why it shouldn't have sold previously. Just the right person hadn't seen it yet. Ya'll know how that goes.

Well, with the regular auctions, there's really a limit to how many times you can list something before it eats away your profits. But with the store I was able to list it for 30 to 120 days for a LOW listing fee as opposed to only 10 days on an auction.

I spend $100 to 200 a month on my ebay fees. $9.99 with the lower fees will actually let me come out ahead of the game.

Plus, some people like the store format better. It's categorized better and makes for easier browsing.

Now as to whether you website is better than a store? Well, I guess that would depend upon how much sales you actually GET from your website. I feel I get more viewers from eBay than from my website.

kjsspot
04-30-2002, 11:02 AM
Hi Tina. As far as I know, they do not have any vacation options.

However, I opened the store on the free listing day so I was able to list a TON of stuff for nada. Plus right now they are giving a 30 day trial so there is no fee for the first month. THEN I had someone fund me for another 5 months. So my first 6 months of the store for me will only be some low listing fees. I think 6 months should give me a decent overview as to whether it's going to work or not.

But so far so good!

timelady
04-30-2002, 04:50 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and opened my store. :) Nothing in it yet but I just had about 10 auctions finish and read that in the relisting I can choose to put them in the store the 2nd time around (by choosing the fixed price option).

My logic about the price is similar. I used to be against it but my marketing has changed since the stores first were introduced. Most of my paintings sell after 2-3 listings. Most listings usually cost $2 each on average. So the longer time period at the lower rate will allow me to have the paintings 'visible' for the same time for much less. :) And I can still auction quite a few to stay in the search result pages. Well, that's the theory anyway. I'll try it for a few months and see how it goes.

Tina.

arlene
04-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Good Reasoning...so i'll watch here to see how it goes for all of you. Good luck, and if it goes well, i'll maybe join u...

Now when you relist, do u relist at the same time? or do you wait?

kjsspot
05-08-2002, 12:01 AM
Just wanted to let ya'll know how it was going! The answer to that would be GREAT!!! I've now had $270 in sales from my store alone. WOOHOO!!!! I'm lovin' this store!

CathyD
05-08-2002, 02:40 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Way to go Kerry Jo!!!
Cathy

kjsspot
05-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Thankee Thankee!!! =D

arlene
05-08-2002, 01:21 PM
Kjo I'm watching your store eagerly to see if it pays off in the long haul...

kjsspot
05-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Thanks Arlene! I'm sure it will go up and down just like the auctions do. But I now have my whole year of fees covered by these sales, so anything I sell from the store here out are pure profit. (well, excluding supplies of course)

Shai
05-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Yay! Way to go! :clap: