PDA

View Full Version : What is Alkyd Flow Medium?

jonny_boy
04-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I got this a a Christmas present can anyone tell me what it is?

night
04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Probably from Daler-Rowney;

"Slightly thinner than Alkyd Gel,it increases the transparency and flow of oil colour,allowing paint to be brushed out more smoothly.Reduces drying time."
It's an synthetic resin. If you want to know more about "alkyd", do your search here or on the web.

Merry Christmas.

jonny_boy
04-02-2007, 02:29 PM
^ hehehe, thanks that's the one. Funnily enough i found that sentence somewhere online earlier today. So is it sorta like white spririt? Oh i've been using turps but i can't stand it, it seems rlly dangerous and don't like the smell.

rassilier
04-02-2007, 02:53 PM
^ hehehe, thanks that's the one. Funnily enough i found that sentence somewhere online earlier today. So is it sorta like white spririt? Oh i've been using turps but i can't stand it, it seems rlly dangerous and don't like the smell.
No, white spirit is mineral spirits. A turpentine substsitute paint thinner. Alkyds are synthetics which take the place of more traditional resin/oil mediums...e.g. damar/stand oil/turps, etc. Alkyds are fast drying usually within 24hrs or less.

jonny_boy
04-02-2007, 03:11 PM
The alkyd I contain has white spirit in it. So Alkyds r used to thin oils aswell? Oh also... i feel like i need a new brush for every colour... how can i overcome this? Should i just have a huge jar of White Spirit to swish my brushes in and them move onto the next coloir? I'm really confused.

night
04-02-2007, 03:19 PM
The alkyd I contain has white spirit in it. So Alkyds r used to thin oils aswell? Oh also... i feel like i need a new brush for every colour... how can i overcome this? Should i just have a huge jar of White Spirit to swish my brushes in and them move onto the next coloir? I'm really confused.

Alkyd should NOT be used to THIN oils. Alkyd is a kind of "synthetic" oil medium. Just mix a very small amount into your paint (no more than 20% max!) to alter the flow and drying rate of your paint. You can clean your brushes in spirit.

jonny_boy
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Thankyou. I'm really confused about what to do with my brushes when i want to use a new colour. What would you recommend? I'm one of those people who constantly wants to switch color, i find by the end of a painting i have 10 brushes lined up, which of course is ridiculous. Also white spirit, does it natter what brand... can it jsut be like from a hardware store? I want to use white spirit for cleaning my brush before dipping it into another colour; is that ok? I wanted paint to go on a little smoother and not as thickly... could I dip my brush into alkyd?

So many confusing questions :s

Carey Griffel
04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Ten brushes isn't ridiculous, though it may make clean up more annoying. A lot of people work that way. Some people use a couple brushes for light colors and a couple brushes for dark colors. Or some for warm colors and others for cool colors.

Certainly you can use mineral spirits for cleaning your brush in between colors if you'd like (though I personally don't like how it makes all of my brush strokes feel)...you can pour it into a glass container with a grating of some type on the bottom (there are lots of threads with examples of what others have done) to rub your brush against to get out the pigment. Then you can wipe the excess off before putting your brush to another color.

I personally find it sufficient just to wipe off my brush on a paper towel (well, actually I use an old phone book). And I have the "bad" habit of using one or two brushes through a whole painting.

It all depends on how you work, everyone's different. :)

~!Carey

jonny_boy
04-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Thankyou :)