PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to anything art with a question.

dribear
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post on WC after being a lurker for a while. I am 38 year old emergency physician who has been devoid of anything artistic his whole life. Other than playing guitar and writing some music, my whole life has consisted of the purely analytical. I have been craving the creative side of life for some time and I think I have found it in acrylics and art in general. I have been having a blast learning from books over the past few months as I learn to find mind own voice.

Question: I have been reading Michael Wilcox's book Blue and Yellow don't make Green and I've been sticking primarily to his 12 paints suggested. My yellow and red consist of Quinicridone violet (violet/red), cadmium red light (orange/red), Hansa yellow(green/yellow) and cadmium yellow(orange/yellow). My question is, what am I missing in terms of not using cadmium red medium/deep and cadmium yellow medium/deep? Are they still a orange/red and orange/yellow? Or are they a different shade? Or different opacity? How specifically are they different from what I am using?

Thanks for your responses. I have learned so much since I have join WC.

aszurblue
04-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Welcome dribear.... So nice you found WetCanvas, you'll have a blast here!!
As for your question... we have a forum called "Color Theory and Mixing", about mid way down the channels. Just scroll down and click on it and post your question over there. Some really nice helpful people will more than happy to help you out, and a world of learning about colors to boot!!... Azure

redtreestudio
04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Welcome Dribear...:wave:

Azure is right. The Color Theory forum can help with any color question.

Here is a the link to point you in the right direction:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

idcrisis55
04-02-2007, 11:17 AM
The cadmium red medium is a more medium toned red and a bit cooler in tone, to my eyes, leaning toward blue. The cad. yellow medium is also a medium value and leans more toward the red.

Have you gone to the Liquitex website or Golden's. They have color charts which will give you an idea as to the color so you can see the difference yourself.

Azure's suggestion on visiting the Color Theory Forum is an excellent idea. There is much to learn and I hope you enjoy it thoroughly while having fun with it all. :) Welcome to Acrylics Forum too and hope you will post more. :)

Einion
04-02-2007, 12:02 PM
See my answer in Colour Theory & Mixing.

Einion

Lady Carol
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Dribear, hello and welcome to the forum.

Let me tell you from experience, art and science go hand in hand. I couldn't create the way I do without the analytical side of my brain doing most of the thinking.

I have that book too but I personally find that the best way I get my head around the concepts is just to mix the paint. Yes, it can be a little wasteful, but colour mixing is a bit like an experiment that has to be tweaked and only experience will help in the tweaking. Although I haven't answered your question directly (Einion's answer over in colour theory will be the most complete), I want to emphasize that say that just sticking to Wilcox's colours you will limit yourself in what you can mix.

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2007, 03:27 PM
HI Dribear and a warm welcome from me too!

Having grown up in the days before so much technical information was available, I have to say - just enjoy finding out what colours will do when mixed together!

Don't limit yourself just because another painter says so in a book - or wherever ... we all have different ideas and most of us have got there through trials and tribulations!

The main thing - really! - is to enjoy the feel of the paint and the satisfaction of mixing a colour which makes you say "Oh!" ........ then find ways of applying the stuff which gives you the same satisfaction ......... and be prepared for all the frustration along the way :D

dreamz
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Here here Maureen! I totally agree:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Drop the book, pick up a brush, explore and have fun!

dribear
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your input. So far, one of the best parts of painting for me has been mixing colors. Though fustrating more often than not, it is very meditative. Almost as much as actually painting itself. But maybe I'm just nutz....
:)

Lady Carol
04-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your input. So far, one of the best parts of painting for me has been mixing colors. Though frustrating more often than not, it is very meditative. Almost as much as actually painting itself. But maybe I'm just nutz....
:)
Actually, I quite agree with you there. I love the process of arriving at the colour...a little bit of this, a little bit of that, etc. It is fun. That and how one colour looks next to another is pretty cool too.

So, are you going to show us what you have been up to?

C_Line
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Welcome to a wonderful place dribear...lots of helpful, encouraging folk and plenty of tidbits to pick up here and there. Along w/the color mixing/theory forum, I received a simplified, interesting article I'll pm you too on the effects of mixing cool blues w/cool reds or yellows vs. warm blues w/warm reds, yellows. I found it most helpful.

dribear
04-03-2007, 09:24 AM
So, are you going to show us what you have been up to?

I would love to show you all my work so far, though the thought terrifies me. But then again I want to be a sponge to all the knowledge that everyone here has to share.

As soon as I find my digital camera, (yes it is lost but I believe I know where it is) I will post some paintings.

BTW, I had my first acylics class last evening, a community class which I am taking with my wife, and we had a blast. The teacher said that my technique is very painterly . Not sure what that means, but I will take it as a compliment. :)

Lady Carol
04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I would love to show you all my work so far, though the thought terrifies me.
No need to be afraid. We do not bite. Although having said that I was terrified with my first post.

The teacher said that my technique is very painterly . Not sure what that means, but I will take it as a compliment. :)
Yes, painterly is a good comment to receive. Means loose and expressive.