PDA

View Full Version : Organizing your work space.

idylbrush
04-02-2007, 07:17 AM
In an effort to seek some help I am thinking it might be a good idea to share some thoughts on organizing your work space. What seems to be the most effective organizing technique you use and show pictures. They always help.:confused:

sp00ky2002
04-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I've got a very portable workspace - foldaway easel and a big plastic toolbox.

Brushes, pencils, tape etc in a pull out tray in the top of the box and all the paints etc in the main part of the toolbox. I've also got a huge blob of sticky tack on the top of the easel ready to pin a reference picture on....

takes me about 2 minutes go get all setup in the corner of my living room

Got the idea from my old man - he ties fishing flies and has everything he needs in one big toolbox....

Also best investment - empty glass coffee jars very handy for water - I've got three saved which I fill and line up - next step I think will be to tape them all together...

timelady
04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Organising? With the word workspace? ;)

My main things:
TROLLEY - actual working space
I have a rolling kitchen trolley, that is my main organisation. My palette is on top. The side holders have pencils, blades, palette knives, misc bits. The shelves hold jars of paint, gesso, varnish. There are two shelves originally for wine bottles that hold spray bottles, wax paper roll, clingfilm roll, fluid acrylic bottles. There are 2 wire drawers - the top holds all my tube paints, the bottom holds tools (hammer, drill, screwdrivers, sandpaper, velcro). My oils used to be in the bottom drawer but I use them seldomly enough that they, my printmaking materials, and my pastels are now in a separate box.

CORNER UNIT SHELVES
Just an Ikea type thing, small shelves but useful. Oils/pastels box on floor. Slides and photos (in boxes) on largest bottom shelf. Shelf of jars of pencils, brushes, charcoal and a dried flower. ;) Top shelf is a pile of pieces of board and canvas board for studies and ACEOs.

STORAGE
All my finished canvases and blank canvases are in my loft along with all wrapping materials and boxes. My working canvases and just finished canvases are on nails on the wall throughout the room.

I have a folding aluminum table set up at the moment next to the trolley as my sketch/computer space. So the piles of rubbish go there, and sketchbooks, paperwork, all that jazz.

Tina.

phobden
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
That's easy. I'm disorganized:D.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2007/100883-DSCN2615.jpg

I have one little chest of draws on the table for items I use a little less than all the time.

redtreestudio
04-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Organize!!!

What a scary thought!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually I am a master of highly organized chaos...:evil:

I do a lot of "grab and go" type work, so I have many many small (labeled) tackle boxes.

Each box has everything necessary for a particular type of project. When I receive last minute calls to fill in for other workshop artists, I can be ready to "grab and go" in fifteen minutes or less.

But... anyone trying to find anything in "my territory" would feel dazed and confused...:evil:

timelady
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
So true Aard! I know exactly which completely illogical shelf (on the trolley or the unit) something will be on! If it isn't there it may as well be in Timbuktu because I wouldn't know where else to look. :D

The exception to any organisational plan is of course - scissors. They roam. On their own. And run away to wherever the socks go from the laundry.

Tina.

Linee
04-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I have a small drawer in an old vanity for my paints and mediums (I use a smallish pallet :) ). I have an old drafting desk under a north window. I keep my brushes, in a 9 x 13 cake pan, and my pad of paper pallet on a narrow shelf under that. My apron hangs behind the door. The other things that take up space in this room are a bench, a treadmill and flat screen tv, and a kitty tree post that my cats hang out on while I work. I also have an easel, but I use it infrequently. I like to move my paintings around, upside down, sideways, etc. while I work on them. I can always use the kitty tree as a prop if I want to see it "up". So far I don't have enough paintings under my belt to issue a storage problem. All of them fit on the wall so far.

redtreestudio
04-02-2007, 12:27 PM
The exception to any organisational plan is of course - scissors. They roam. On their own. And run away to wherever the socks go from the laundry.

Tina.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't do anything about the roaming socks either, Tina, but I have managed to manacle my good work scissors.

They are imprisoned by a lightweight twenty-five foot retractable dog leash attached to the y-strut of my layout table.

For the last decade or so, I have always known exactly where they are and what they are doing...:evil:

Phantelope
04-02-2007, 12:40 PM
The best thing I got for getting organized is a large tool chest on rollers from Craftsman. If you go to sears.com and click on tools, you'll see what I mean. Mine is a 3 piece with a total of 18 drawers. The drawers come out all the way and the skinny ones are perfect for paint tubes, they line up nicely next to each other so I can see them all. If you work in only one medium a smaller chest would work great. I got mine on sale for $300 and it's big enough for my acrylics, oils, pastels, pencils, airbrush colors, silk colors, mediums and pastes and assorted texture materials and tools.
I also have a small tabouret from Jerry's Artarama with a built in pallet on top and 3 drawers. All of these are on rollers.

My studio doubles as guest room when people come, then I just roll the storage unit into our bedroom, roll my drafting table there too and fold my easel against the wall. Takes all of 5 min. I got mine in black, also comes in a dark blue and in fire engine red.

I have pads and other things in the closet in that room.

Oliver

Linee
04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I decided to post pics, just for fun. I forgot to mention the old freezer basket I use for magazines and such. There's also a wooden box for my temporarily abandoned oils. The maps are for my kids' schooling.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2007/101851-studio_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2007/101851-studio.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2007/101851-studio_3.jpg

Finally, where I get my exercise when I get frustrated!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2007/101851-studio_2.jpg

maverick
04-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I have good intentions to be organized...but I am married.

"I never touch your things".

"Oh, so how did my new brushes and canvases end up in a box in the far corner of the basement?"

"I don't know because I never touch your things."

"Sigh..."

Seriously though, I do try my best to be organized. I have one large plastic set of drawers on wheels for the big things, and two smaller sets of drawers for paint tubes, fluid bottles, small jars, brushes, pencils etc. The small drawers are stackable and can sit on a desk or table. I can keep my tubes and bottles separate, and of course different media separate. I also have two nice painter's boxes with palettes, but I tend to only store brushes in those. I don't travel and paint really.

My dream was to finish an 100 sq ft. shed in my back yard and convert it into a studio...then I would be the master of that space. Yes sirree...

I'll take pictures as soon as I get organized! :lol:

maverick
04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
About scissors...I have 4 kids, so I just ask them if I can borrow my scissors...and stapler, and rulers, and pencil sharpeners (two electric ones...one to replace the one they took also went missing).

Lady Carol
04-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I have good intentions to be organized...but I am married.

sp00ky2002
04-02-2007, 01:10 PM
About scissors...I have 4 kids, so I just ask them if I can borrow my scissors...and stapler, and rulers, and pencil sharpeners (two electric ones...one to replace the one they took also went missing).

totally with you on that one maverick - I've got 3 boys... the eldest (5) is art mad (no bad thing) but he does tend to "borrow" a lot of my gear...

Thomas Greaves
04-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Organized......erm.....organized.....if I knew where to find my dictionary I might be able to discover what that word means.

dreamz
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thom and Tina, you both made me actually laugh, guess it strikes close to home:lol: Aard, I did the same tethering thing with the tv remote when the kids were still at home, got tired of finding it in the frig or bathroom or even by the pool..

I started out with a good plan to keep my paints orginized but then kept adding more paints and my system hasn't grown to keep up. I try to keep my brushes in one of 4 containers (old coffee cans) or in the case of the larger brushes a hanging system on the eye level shelf of the bookcase, sponges have their own plastic box and its usually on the same shelf of the bookcase (usually) the same shelf is the catch all for measuring tapes. straight edges,triangles,laser level etc etc.

At the moment I would say I'm chaos-organized but only because I haven't been painting much and have spent some time cleaning up and rearranging the entire space

zooms
04-02-2007, 09:00 PM
am married too - and love my husband and admire his creativity- sharing studio space with a chop, jig, circular and hand saw plus electric planer and sander forces me to ask- sawdust -as a medium? Why not!!!
Photo when I find the camera!
heatherxxx

Linee
04-02-2007, 09:08 PM
My room is a "walk through room" with doors on both sides. The doors are only closed when I'm working (but even then someone may try to come through as a shortcut). I've got to keep it neat with so much traffic; I'd hate for some ne to step on a tube of paint and burst it!

I forgot to mention that my "strategy" for organization is minimalization. :)

rmc
04-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Yep - I'm here for some help too - My husband is away for a week to a month at a time, so gradually my workspace extends to encompass every available surface - kitchen to dinning room to living room - now I own an easel it's even worse. The day he comes home - all has to get hidden / clear all decks again.
I do have all my paints in medium specific drawers (in the TV unit) / mediums / pallettes / brushes etc take up a couple of kitchen cupboards / canvases hide under the bed (can't stand not having a good selection for when the painting madness strikes)/watercolour pads etc on living room shelf/ all accessories such as pencils / sharpeners / drawing paper / scissors have to be retrieved from my children (usually under their beds) - although I keep a secret stash hidden - it too roams.
If I could name my number one frustration - it's the search for some sticky tape to attach the photo to my easel - I so need to make your little adjustable clip on thingy Howard - would save me hours!!!

stoney
04-02-2007, 10:17 PM

I can't do anything about the roaming socks either, Tina, but I have managed to manacle my good work scissors.

They are imprisoned by a lightweight twenty-five foot retractable dog leash attached to the y-strut of my layout table.

For the last decade or so, I have always known exactly where they are and what they are doing...:evil:

That's what they want you to think! :evenmoreevil:

am married too - and love my husband and admire his creativity- sharing studio space with a chop, jig, circular and hand saw plus electric planer and sander forces me to ask- sawdust -as a medium? Why not!!!
Photo when I find the camera!
heatherxxx

heheheheeeheheheh. Sawdust mixed with white glue and you've got 3D art!

Organize work space. Three words that don't compute.

My oil pallets are stored in a chest freezer. The acrylic ones are in the master bath's bathtub (there's a separate shower) along with a large container of gesso, finished works on canvases and items in work. Then there's the table easel, sealable bucket which contains brush cleaning water (it gets poured into empty milk jugs, sealed, and put in the trash), another foldable table easel, stuff on which I can set canvas/other on before putting it on the countertop for gessoing, Liquining/Galkyding. There's also a couple of window fans for use in the summer. Some empty boxes which will soon be utilized for shipping paintings. Various items which can be used for still lifes.

Under one of the two sinks an 11 x 14 oil painting is drying.
Atop a sink counter is some acrylic paints, black gesso, water container for acrylics, and a couple containers of acrylic paint.

On my computer desk there's a few books on painting. On a stereo with turntable just behind me is a fresh pack of 12 brushes. There's a drafting board leaning against a dresser. The dresser bottom drawer is filled with art books, older works and such. A shelf in the walk in closet has two very large canvases which are in various stages of drying/finishing (oils).

Along a wall is a singular base cabinet (freestanding) which has smaller oil projects stored/drying. It also has still life items, varnishes, krylon clear, odds and ends. The drawer has some computer components and more oil stuff drying.

Along a wall in the living room is a lengthy bureau and chest of drawers. Matboard, art supplies, ceramic tile, more art supplies. On top of both are completed works, blank canvases, transfer paper, pen n inks. Placed vertically along side are; blank canvases, empty frames, french easel, house easel, and stretchers. There's a couple sticks (poplar 2" x 2" x 8') of wood leaning against a wall to be turned into future frames. Last but not least are two rolling 'crates.' One contains stuff for my oils class and the other one contains stuff for my acrylics class. A folded card table slides behind the bureau. I use that on the occasions I can set up oil painting in the living room.

Hopefully, this summer leads to one of the other bedrooms emptying out. In which case all the art stuff can be permanently set up in it and the walk in closet can be used for supply storage and drying paintings. As it stands I have to set up to paint and break things down when I'm done.

Oh yeah, in the garage there's a small stack of large ceramic tiles I'm going to be painting on (once I've got a permanent setup). In the garage is also a router table, chop saw, and a Shopsmith. Right now the Shopsmith's powered by a gasoline generator. This summer I'll be putting in a small electrical box to power the garage including the Shopsmith which comes off the load side of the main breaker box. That means tearing out several feet of drywall and the subsequent reworking and refinishing.

That's the upper garage. I don't even want to talk about the lower garage.
Continuation of interior construction.

*Violet*
04-03-2007, 12:28 AM
organized workspace .... that's an oxymoron !! ... my term is *organized mess* ... that's my story and i'm sticking to it !! ... i *still* find just about anything, any time, quicker than my *organized* hubby does ... :lol:

Donna A
04-03-2007, 01:55 AM
LOL, ya'all! :-) What fun. I be reeeel or-gan-iz-ized! At least at times! First---I cheated. My kids grew up. And my son even eventually moved out! :-) And it's just moi and my two little black cats. So---that makes things a bit easier (give or take a few stray black cat hairs here and there---and everywhere!) I'm lucky to have an actual studio---with room for both a pastel easel and an oil/acrylic easel---and a french drawing table that moves pure vertical to horizontal with a touch to a lever handle---and a big work table that is actually part of a circa 1900 dining room suite all sitting in the southwest corner of my studio (set me back $20 per piece back in the early 60's and I'm only the second family to own these pieces!) The table is covered with a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood, good-one-side---and always covered with a beautiful dark paisley cloth---and still serves wonderfully for dinner parties. When I need to do something messy, I just pull the cloth back and cover with a piece of brown paper and have at it! Priming large canvases or spraying contact cement on surfaces for making my linen liners for framing or mounting Colourfix papers to pH-balance foamcore boards or such. Or use the large cutting board surface to cut foam core board, etc! Near the table and next to the tall chest of the dining room furniture (can't think of the correct name,) is a 'thing' that has extremely shallow pull-out shelves---about 3/4" deep---that came from a defunct art store where it housed LetraSet sheets of rub-on fonts. A lucky find. On top of that is a small metal 3-drawer chest. And sitting on that are all manner of pots and coffee cans and mugs (some I've LOVED, but handles broke off) and all are filled with my pastel pencils in the back, with scissors, screw drivers (flat or + marked on the handles to be easily recognized,) pencilsl, pens, Sharpie markers, 'stuff," "stuff," excacto knives and so forth, each in their own containers. Is soooo lovely to be able to reach over for exactly the right tool and then have the exact place to put it back!!!! YES!!!

I have shelves behind louver doors with adjustable shelves---and wire racks hanging on the inside of the doors for 'little stuff." A specific place for each thing. I HATE to have to put things away---(sooo easy to get it out!)----so I found it was sooo much easier to have A PLACE to put it back. Easier to find, easier to put away.

That doesn't mean I don't do a swell job of creating chaos when working on one or more projects---but---after a while----I just have to clear the decks.

I've been at this a LONG time. But back when the kids were babes (several decades ago---even tho I know I look 17) :-) I had trays and corners and storage containers and such like so many artists. I had to occupy as small a breathing space as possible. I needed to get things out fast and be able to put away fast.

It was easier then to have A PLACE for something---and to be as organized as possible with wild little twins running around and tooo many other things that HAD to be done! Still is easier!!! I just had blessedly less then. :-)

I believe that it is sooo much easier for us, whatever space we have (or don't have!)---to pay good attention to what we use the most and need the most and to prioritize accordingly. Yep---it needs us to "bother" noticing what we are reaching for the most---but it saves us sooo much time. I am sooo impatient. And I learned that I had to 'bother' paying attention to save myself a LOT of time---cuz I never had enough time. Still don't. :-)

I came across a old oak desk that was raw driftwood color and bought it very inexpensively. Stained it to match my 1900's oak dining room set, put plywood across the bottom of the knee opening to make another shelf and covered the top with white paper then 1/4" thick glass. Great oil palette on which I also set the various pots, pitchers and metal cans that hold my brushes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2007/77048-Brushes.jpg
Next to the desk/palette table is a rolling wire table/shelves which have a sheet of plywood for a table top---covered with a "marble" contact paper (decades old!) and trays and baking pans with my oils---and more brush containers.

I have likes together with likes---and what I use most within closest reach. Keep an eye out for lovely magical little pieces that you might find at estate sales, shops, etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2007/77048-DA-studio-tv.jpg
These are my pastels and pastel easel with the french table beyond---and the corner of the oil palette table to the far right----and my oil easel behind the camera man. This was shot when we were doing a live TV broadcast from my studio a couple of years ago.

I hang a lot of my pastel paintings mounted on foamcore board from 2" binder clips hanging on long-needle pushpins on the wall. Works great. The large oils lean against walls till they are dry. Very high tech! :-)

I really do think it's a danged nuisance to organize----but saves us sooo much time and works soooo very well for us once we take the time to find "places!" I'd rather paint than hunt! I"ve done both! :-) Paint is better! :-) Best wishes to everyone!!! Donna ;-}

dreamz
04-03-2007, 03:18 AM
and I thought Howard had a lot of brushes! it looks like Donna mugged an art supply:lol:

sp00ky2002
04-03-2007, 04:17 AM
never a truer word dreamz - I don't think I've ever seen so much equipment in one place... and I'll bet you have more packs of brushes you haven't even used yet Donna - go on 'fess up.....

idylbrush
04-03-2007, 08:00 AM
and I thought Howard had a lot of brushes! it looks like Donna mugged an art supply:lol:

Beginning to think it is the nature of the beast as it accumilates over time. Donna definitely has me beat as far as supplies go.

I have not been painting recently and have taken a bit of time to clean the studio for a bit. I needed it. Still far from perfect but getting there. It has been a challenge to get 10 pounds of supplies in a 5 pound space.

Just another of many challenges that become opportunities.

stoney
04-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Heheheheeh. Yes, it does. Just think how much time it takes to clean *all* those brushes! :eek:

Beginning to think it is the nature of the beast as it accumilates over time. Donna definitely has me beat as far as supplies go.

I have not been painting recently and have taken a bit of time to clean the studio for a bit. I needed it. Still far from perfect but getting there. It has been a challenge to get 10 pounds of supplies in a 5 pound space.

Just another of many challenges that become opportunities.

Apply more pressure! :evil: It'll all fit.

Hoofmama
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Oranization??? I don't know that word. Ok...the before picture (easel)...notice how uncluttered my tiny corner is. The other is just a small sampling of the piles this has grown into. I actually do get some work done, but I have to move everything to make enough space for my pallet and brushes. I think I have a 4 x 5 space, total. Someday I will evict my children and take over a whole room... :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2007/32886-abstrref4.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2007/32886-DSCN1556.JPG

stoney
04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Oranization??? I don't know that word. Ok...the before picture (easel)...notice how uncluttered my tiny corner is. The other is just a small sampling of the piles this has grown into. I actually do get some work done, but I have to move everything to make enough space for my pallet and brushes. I think I have a 4 x 5 space, total. Someday I will evict my children and take over a whole room... :)

Heheheh. Then you'll expand to fill that space and have to move things around to get any work done. :evil:

redtreestudio
04-04-2007, 09:22 AM
That's what they want you to think! :evenmoreevil:

Ah yes, exactly right...

Who knows what evil lurks within the hearts and minds of accoutrements...:evil:

Phantelope
04-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Nice studio Donna! can I come over and play with all those wonderful pastels? Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that many in one place! I agree though, it's well worth to organize things. That coming from me, who's sitting at a desk with about 2 or 3 inches of who knows what papers under my arms so I can type!

I had my things in small drawer roller carts, more plastic drawer things from Target on top and in the closet. Never could remember what's where and once I found that I bought things I already had I had to do something. Add to that that my parents came for a 4 week visit from Germany, I had to clear out my studio. A room that was maxed out completely, with a large desk with computers (now in the bedroom), painting gear, guitars, amps, bookshelves, drafting table, there was enough room for exactly one person in there ;-)

I'm so glad I emptied out the entire room (what a mess!!!) and got that tool chest for most of my paint gear. Everything is in it's place now, no searching and hopefully a lot less duplicate buying. And if need be I can roll everything out of the room, bring the spare bed back in from the garage and have a nice guest room within 30 min or so. And all the other times I have a nice room to work in. Of course, there's more change to come end of may, when our #2, a little baby girl will arrive! Maybe I'll glass in the front patio then.....

Oliver

stoney
04-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Ah yes, exactly right...

Who knows what evil lurks within the hearts and minds of accoutrements...:evil:

The Shadow® knows. ;)

idylbrush
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I do like the mechanics chest idea. May have to steal that one. would get rid of a bunch of cheap plastic drawers.

frodron
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I would like to ask those who replied to this thread whether any of you put anything on the floor to to protect it from spillages or dropped brushes etc..

idylbrush
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
frodron, I have a cement floor and I don't down anything. I figure that if paint hits the floor it has to be an improvement.

phobden
04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I would like to ask those who replied to this thread whether any of you put anything on the floor to to protect it from spillages or dropped brushes etc..

Nope. Just live with it when it happens.:cat:

stoney
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM

An old plasticized table cloth.

ottwork
04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm not terribly well organized, but I am fortunate enough to have a good sized room as my studio. It doubles (triples) as an office and music room, but there's still plenty of space, especially as it is only me that uses it. I have my easel set up in the northwest corner, next to the window

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2007/64088-P4051760.JPG

- I use one of those plastic drawer things with a piece of foam core on top for my paints - the drawers are full of stuff I don't use as often, the top is reserved for my acrylic paints...I use a very minimal palette, obviously!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2007/64088-P4051762.JPG

The easel holds my water and a few brushes at a time. I use a plastic baking pan for my stay-wet palette - it's to the left of the easel on the desk (which is a hollow-core door on top of an old student sized desk).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2007/64088-P4051764.JPG

It's very rarely this neat...I had a long cleaning session yesterday because I couldn't find a path to the easel!! :o

And I don't protect the carpet - One day I'd like to have a smooth flooring product of some sort, so if I get a spill on the carpet, I'm not too concerned...

dreamz
04-06-2007, 12:43 AM
I dont cover the floor and the Mrs has ranted a few times about the splatter but the tiles needed replacing BEFORE I set up in this room.. shrugs

Phantelope
04-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I do cover the floor sometimes with an old tiedyed sheet that I keep rolled up at the foot of the easel. But only if I intend to go very wet and splatter paint around. The floor is nice oak wood flooring, but who ever owned the house before us didn't like it and painted the house w/o covering the floors, so there's plenty paint on them already.

I just got a folding table for the studio too, since I want to do some works that require a large flat surface to work on. My drafting table is not big enough for that. Found a great 6ft folding banquet table at Target on sale for $32. Quite sturdy and once I don't need it it folds in half, leaving a sort of 3x3ft suitcase. that can just rest against the wall or go in the garage. Will also come in handy if we have more guests and will be the kitchen when we go camping. Fits exactly into my room if needed.

Howard, getting rid of some ugly plastic roller drawer things was exactly the reason to get the tool chest. It really works out great and holds all of my different media. It's neat to just pull out a drawer and there are all my paints next to each other, label up. I always had to dig around in a deeper drawer or a box. The whole thing also rolls and it locks too, so I can keep my little one away from toxic things. And I think it look neat, for some reason I always liked those craftsman chests. They come in different styles, from simple 'metal on metal' to 'super silent' (which is what I have, I think they slide on plastic) to even fancy ball bearings for super quiet movement, especially if you have really heavy tools in there. Those are pricey though.

Oliver

bcraver
04-15-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't protect the floor (I'm in the basement on a concrete floor with vinyl on top, but I do protect my feet!) I have put down some foam tile to keep the floor softer, and warmer! I found some interlocking 24" square foam tiles at Costco, I LOVE them!!! Makes a concrete floor seem quite nice to walk on, or stand on for hours in front of the easel. I even have some to take outside for plein aire work, when the ground is frozen!

I have a nice (not tidy, but works most of the time) organization set up right now, the only downside is that I can't back up very far from the easel to get a more objective look at my work, so I have to use mirrors. (Another organization issue is my photos, and I can't find a picture of my set up, so never mind for now!!!)

michelle stone
03-10-2008, 01:01 AM
This reminds me of the story I heard about an artist who purposly dripped all kinds of paint spatters all over the carpet of her studio!!there were spashes all over the floor,so any more she dripped in addition wouldnt really matter!!strange,but also kind of liberating I guess?!!!:cool:

howyadoin
03-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Here's the virtual tour of my setup. First off is the drawing table:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2259/2323406122_d2a90f399c_o.jpg

(To a layman it may look like a bar.)

And here's where my art supplies are stored, on top of my bookcase:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/2323406368_623aeea20b_o.jpg

The bookcase is only about 3 feet from the bar, so all the stuff is within easy reach.

To the left of the bookcase is the front hallway, which doubles as a gallery for my acrylic stuff:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2323406254_dc591d540d_o.jpg

The downside of this setup is that all the art supplies have to be put away when people come over to drink. Of course, that forces me to keep things organized, so maybe it's not such a bad thing.

susme48
03-10-2008, 03:41 AM
With such a small space, I am organized...within reason...my painting stuff anyway. Of course, it helps that I just redid my office/studio AGAIN...lol...just the other day. All the "junk" is hidden, and my paintings are still packed up from the show last weekend. (Am tempted to just leave most of them till the next show.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2008/51170-mystudio.jpg I have a smock I keep on the back of the chair to protect my clothes...of course I never wear it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2008/51170-mystudiotable.jpg
I keep most of my brushes in old KoolAid containers, but the tall ones are in a jelly jar that Bubba decorated at school for Mother's Day. I keep a jug of water by the desk, and use old butter containers to hold it while I am working. I used the bottom of an egg carton, inside an old cake pan to keep my larger tubes of paint separated...sort of by color...and the smaller tubes are in an old coffee cup. I have two old ashtrays that I use to rest my brushes in if I am working in multiple colors, tho' I still seem to end up with a couple in each hand and one in my mouth...lol.
I have another old cake pan with a lid I keep wet paint in, and of course my desk easel. I use an old "in/out type" set of trays to keep rags, paper towels, extra holders for paint that needs stored till next paint time...drawers in and under desk hold extra paints, paper, sponges, and sketches(and lots of junk).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2008/51170-mypaints.jpg
The table next to my painting desk has books, an old homemade easel, the cardboard backs for my paper paintings, and extra canvases. Under the table are a few frames, and some odds and ends of cardboard.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2008/51170-mytable.jpg
Next to that is my computer desk and all my bills and such. Then the scanner and printers, and the TV I don't watch much anymore.
The rug at the bottom right is usually filled with the bodies of the dogs, and Bubba; and there is NO organaization to them.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2008/51170-mydesk.jpg

Debbie57
03-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Organization was a "dirty word" in my vocabulary. Much to my mother's shame, who is the "Queen" of organization. Atlas, I am now forced to be organized. Last July I closed my Home Dec business. I used to sew window treatments, painted murals, and did some commission work. I had a 1000 square feet of work space/warehouse. I had supplies and equipment out the waaazzoooo! Ladders, scaffold, woodworking machinery, kiln, sewing equipment, paints, brushes, and a 5'X8' custom made work table, Oh MY! I wish you could have all been there for my "going outta business" sale. We sold almost everything for "pennies on the dollar". My husband retired the year before and so it was my turn. I was ready. We now live in a 40 foot fifth wheel with two wire haired fox terriers and travel. My supplies have been reduced to 4 small plastic containers, a couple of large bags, and the storage area under my mattress. You see, our mattress lays on a platform which lifts (much like a hatchback of a car) to reveal about 4 inches of depth for storage. I have my canvases, palettes, sketch pads, fabrics, and the like there. I'll take some pictures later today of my set up and post them. You may find it interesting. I do love our live style and my husband has promised to build me my own personal pole barn when we finally decide to settle in one place.:clap:

dejaa
03-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone,

At one time in my life I was organized to the point of OCD, but moving through three states and back living out of boxes at times has taken its toll. I have finally moved back to my child hood home where my father built me an 18x40 playhouse studio. See I have drawn since I was almost 3 and painted since I was maybe 10. All those years took a toll on my art as well. But I'k back at it and find that I love it just as much as I did in the 70's. (that's all I'll say on age).

When my husband left for Afghanistan 2 years ago I went and bought Grumbocker academic and a few canvases to try my hand at it again. They got stored when he came home because my studio is full of years of accumulated junk mine and his. He is now in Iraq and I am back painting again and do not intend to stop this time.

As soon as the weather clears the bond fires will start up. I am going to give away, throw away and burn every thing in there that is not necessary, or loved. That is most of it.

Today my paints are divided into tote boxes and bags according to medium. Big one each for acrylics, oils and watercolor. The kitchen table is covered with wax paper and container full of brushes. My easel sits between the island and the kitchen table, my pastels, color pencils etc. are in the chiffer robe against the wall, canvases in just about every room and art book lining the living room floor. I have always prefer to be able to walk away from my work and come back to is as time allowed. Like this morning I was able to place a layer of glaze on my balloon before work.

I think it is time to reclaim my studio. Let the burning begin.

Thanks for this thread Idylbrush, loved seeing the pictures and reading this thread.

PS. It has a concrete floor where the kitchen has tile. Have to clean up the kitchen floor.

Katwyld
03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Organi-what?

Actually, I'm not too bad... now that I have my new desk with room to put stuff, it's easier to be organized. I have a rolling printer cart (that will never have a printer on it), that I use part of to keep mediums and other big jars. A decent sized little wooden painting box I picked up at hobby lobby holds most of my paints and all my brushes (tray on top for the brushes). My easel stores between my desk and the TV, so it's out of the way when I'm not using it. The box usually sits on my desk, but when I need the space, I move it and set it on the lower shelf of the rolling cart.

I'd picked up a set of little plastic drawers (3 drawers) that I broke down to be 2 drawers, and have them on my desk under the monitor shelf. That holds pencils, erasers, sharpeners (I have 3 or 4.. might be more. :o No, I don't know why), ink marker/pens and the like. Also have needle nose pliers, tape, measuring tape, etc in another one.

Drawing pad sits on the top shelf of the rolling cart with a few of my more used art books.

Than all my fresh canvases are between the wall/window and my desk. Canvases that are in progress get put between the desk and the rolling cart.

This is all the desk I have my computer on and do everything else on, too.

All I have right at the moment is a pictures of the desk. You can see the rolling cart under the desk with my painting box on it, and the little drawer things on the desk... it's not even CLOSE to that neat anymore, but I'll take pics when I get home as well.

http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/KatsDir/Photos/House/NewDesk500.jpg

Debbie57
03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Here are the pictures of where I paint and the storage under the bed.