PDA

View Full Version : Basic 102 - Class 14 - Landscape - Putting it all Together

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Landscape - Putting it all together

The Grand Finale
The lessons I have been sharing (Lessons 9, 10, 11, and 13) have focused on specific elements in nature, clouds/skies, rocks, water and trees. Now it is time to put all of these elements together into a complete landscape composition.

While plein air offers it's own unique qualities to drawing, it is not always feasible. I prefer to work from photos and in the comfort of my own studio. When I’m out scouring the Iowa countryside ‘barn hunting’, my goal is to compose my landscapes with the use of my digital camera. It is common for me to take as many as 100 or more photos of one barn or of a tree. Every possible angle, close-up and far away are taken – anything to help me as references to use when back in the studio.

Is it okay to use photos just as they are composed? Absolutely. Prior to this digital era, thumbnail sketches were used to compose our artwork. Now much of the compositional issues can be resolved through the lens of the camera or through manipulation in computer photo editing softwares. Most landscape photographs will benefit from minor adjustments to improve the composition and sometimes multiple photographs merged together may be beneficial.

But how do you know what adjustments should be made? What makes a good landscape composition? Here are some tips when working with compositions for landscapes.

- The simplest guide is - if it is pleasing to your eye, it is probably going to be pleasing as a landscape.

- Use the rules of thirds.

- Overlap the elements and make sure they sit on the planes correctly (apply proper perspective)

- Adjust the horizon line for interest. Try a low horizon line for emphasis on the clouds.

- Atmospheric perspective - items in the distance will be lighter and less detailed

- Value composition should be considered as well. Creating a tonal map of the landscape will help unify the landscape. If the darks are scattered throughout the entire scene, it is not going to look as good as balancing the tones.

- Identify the light source. Identify what direction the sun is and apply shadows consistently through out the scene. This applies to overcast days too!

I haven’t gone into much detail on any of these items. Each one could be a lesson on their own! Here are some reference books that go into further depth and illustrations.

Reference Books:
“14 Formulas for Painting Fabulous Landscapes” by Barbara Nuss ISBN: 1-58180-385-0

“Design & Composition Secrets of Professional Artists” by International Artist Magazine
ISBN: 1-929834-09-8

“Painting Better Landscapes” by Margaret Kessler ISBN: 0-8230-3575-1

“Drawing Made Easy: Dynamic Composition” by William Powell ISBN:1-56010-998-X

“Drawing Line to Life” by Mike Sibley ISBN: 978-0-9551578-0-6

The first three books are “painting” books, but their discussions and concepts regarding compositions are excellent and are just as applicable to drawing.

Diane

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Assignment: Split Rock, Minnesota

What a beautiful photo reference! Betty Wilson has so graciously granted the use of her photograph of a light house located in Split Rock, Minnesota. This image can be located in the Wetcanvas Image

Library: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=8803&si=lighthouse&perpage=12

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I carefully chose this photo reference to minimize compositional adjusting. Our intent on this assignment is to concentrate on combining our new knowledge on drawing clouds/skies, rocks, water and trees together to make a complete landscape drawing.

So...how do we get started? The important thing is not to be overwhelmed. By dissecting the landscape into sections, you will find your landscape will start magically appearing onto your paper.

Create an Outline
Draw a light outline on your paper. If necessary, use a light box, tracing paper, grid method or projector to get the overall shapes, positioning and placement of the cliff, lighthouse and rocks.
As you attack this landscape, review each of the previous lessons, apply those techniques to each section of this scene, and you will be amazed how the landscape will emerge on your paper.

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
STEP BY STEP
The following is my step-by-step description of my rendering of this beautiful scene:

I lightly sketch in an outline of the horizon, bluffs, rocks and lighthouse using a 2H .5 mechanical pencil. I keep the outlines light as they are used only as guidelines.

THE SKY : Using a F lead .5 mm mechanical pencil and the loose-hold hand grip, I cross-hatch multiple evenly applied layers of graphite over the entire sky area. I use a chamois to blend the graphite smooth. I make sure overlap into the bluffs, behind the trees and into the water area as it is easier to erase the overlap than to fix a missed spot later. The sky tone gradually lightens as it reaches the horizon line, it is the darkest at the top and behind the trees.

I “draw” the whitest clouds using a white plastic eraser, erasing the sky. The more subtle areas are lifted out using a blu-tac eraser. Additional shading and blending (using a tortillon) is done to create the darker formations.

I use the plastic eraser and a ruler to eraser the over-blending around the edges of the drawing. I also use a fine tipped eraser to erase the lighthouse structure, cliff bluffs and the horizon line.

Where the sky meets the water is the horizon line. In this particular scene, this is recession is dark. I do not draw a solid line, but I shade from dark to lighter using short horizontal strokes using an F, .5 mm mechanical pencil. The strokes become larger and more ‘wavy’ as I continue to the foreground. The rocks are formed using a 2B .5 mech pencil. Since these rocks in the distance, detail is kept to a minimum. I leave a white area between the rocks and the water. This gives the impression of ‘water’ foam and provides just a bit of separation between the two objects.

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
THE LIGHT HOUSE AND CLIFF:

The lighthouse is a simple structure. The sun is kissing the surface of the structure, creating both the lightest value (white) in the scene as well as our focal point. I use a HB, .3 mech pencil and draw in the squares for the windows, I shade in the side of the building and create a dark roof on top. Most of the structure is left the white of the paper.

The rock cliff is next. I keep the details fairly indistinct, I use a 2B .5 mechanical pencil to shade in the crevices and some of the details. I then use a 4B chisel edge .2 mm clutch pencil and burnish a layer over the cliff. Blu-tak is used to lift out highlights where the sun is hitting the surface.

Foliage is added between the lighthouse and the cliff. Using the under-hand pencil grip and a scribble pencil stroke, the foliage is quickly drawn in using F .5 mm mechanical pencil.

I continue on with the large boulders on the shoreline. Creating angular planes on the rocks and consistent shading to the left of the rocks provide consistency and give the illusion of rocks. The darkest area in the water is at the shoreline. I use a HB .5 mech pencil in this area. Smaller rocks glisten in the sunlight at the shoreline. Drawing only the shadows of the rocks (negative drawing) makes easy work of them!

The two rocks in the water in the foreground are dark and richly textured. I use a 2B .mechanical pencil to shade them in, then burnish a layer using 2H chisel point clutch pencil to create the rich dark tones. A touch of a battery-operated eraser creates the highlights of the sun hitting the rocks.

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Foreground Rocks:

The most detailed area of the scene is of course the rocks closest to the viewer in the foreground. Additional care is taken to create more subtle planes and textures in these rocks. The same technique is used. Using 2B .5 mechanical pencil, I shade in the dark shadowing on the left side. I use a F .5 mechanical pencil on the front plane. The pencil stroke is a short random ‘cross-hatching’. I then apply a layer of 2H graphite using a clutch pencil. Blu-tak is used to create the subtle highlights. A battery-operated eraser is used to touch in the highlights.

The ground is a mixture of smaller pebbles and sand. Using a circularism pencil stroke, a rough texture is created. I create a more even-tone without losing the detail by burnishing a layer of 2H over the ground.

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Trees

Using a very tight scribbling pencil stroke, the background trees are laid in. Not much definition is applied with just a few vertical marks used to identify tree trunks.

The foreground tree is laid in using the under-hand pencil grip and the scribble pencil stroke. A F lead, .5 mechanical pencil works well to create the illusion of leaves. Special attention to the outer-most leaves placement is key to the flow of the viewer’s eye movement. Having the upper limbs ‘drape’ over the lighthouse pulls the scene together.

The open spaces between the limbs to let the sky show are critical. This keeps the foreground tree from dominating the upper left hand corner. It also allows the opportunity to ‘show-off’ some of those individual leaves. The branches are also important to offer the impression that this is a tree, even though only small section of the tree is actually visible. After the branch and leaf bundles are in place, I use a battery-operated eraser to lift out highlights on some of the leaves.

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
As my book for Walter Foster was ready to go to press, it was discovered that I needed one more drawing for the last page. This drawing was selected to fill that void! While I didn’t have the opportunity to alter the text for the book, I would like to dedicate this drawing to WetCanvas Drawing Lessons and to all the wonderful artists I have met! :heart: Thank you for the opportunity to share my techniques and approaches through these on-line classes.:wave:

Diane

Here is the final rendering:

Stats:
Graphite on Strathmore Bristol Smooth
9.5” x 14”
20 Hours

DianeWright
04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
One small tip I forgot to share....if you haven't noticed I am left-handed and work from right to left. If you are right-handed, you should consider starting on the left and work right...to prevent smudging...;)

Materials used:

Chamois
.5 mm mech pencil F, H, 2B
.3 mm mech pencil HB
.2 mm clutch pencil, 4H, 2H, H
white mars eraser
tortilon
blu-tack
battery-operated eraser
300 Series Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper
small plastic T-square ruler

Post your work as you progress and remember to look back at the previous lessons for suggestions on drawing the particular nature elements. I'll be here to help you if you have any questions..:wave:

Diane

Judi1957
04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi Diane!:wave:

Wow-what a spectacular reference-and as usual-your work looks better than the ref. I love the style of your work!:clap: :clap:

Thanks sooo much for all of your hard work here with us over the past few months!

jasminerose
04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
wow Diane thats fantastic . thankyou so much . Hope I can keep up im still working on the leaves . and need too brush up on my sky and rocks I think . well I hope I do good work for you . thankyou very much . I could not get in here yestarday . did anyone else have that happen too them ? thankyou again for helping us Diane . hope too get your book soon too . jasmine.:clap:

frieda L
04-01-2007, 11:28 PM
:clap: :heart: :clap: :heart: :clap: Diane, incredible lesson, and beautiful drawing!!! Thank you soooo much for the time and effort you have put into this series of classes. It would take years and years to have to learn this alone.

One question...I use a 2B .5 mechanical pencil to shade in the crevices and some of the details. I then use a 4B chisel edge .2 mm clutch pencil and burnish a layer over the cliff.
Did you mean a 4H chisel edge? (sorry if I'm wrong, but I have the impression you use harder pencils to burnish)

Nowto the tree class... but I'll be back!
frieda

Chloe_1
04-02-2007, 12:40 AM
So beautiful Diane..
You have given us so much
I haven't done the rock lesson; but will review it and tackle this, and see what I'll end up with.
Thank you;-)))

Dreamsun
04-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Ooh Diane,
I must agree to everything my "beforespeaker" ;) said!

Beautiful drawing!!! :heart:
And like always a incredible class!!!! :clap:

I will sign up this class too although I only have done the tree-class. Is this okay?

DianeWright
04-02-2007, 08:38 AM
I will sign up this class too although I only have done the tree-class. Is this okay?

That's okay. You might want to read through the other lessons before you start this one though. Each lesson was written with this final landscape in mind.

A number of you are concerned that you are still working on the tree lesson. That is okay! Finish the tree lesson at your own pace and this lesson will be waiting for you.

It's also good to see what all your hard work and efforts of the past lessons will be used for! :)

Diane

DianeWright
04-02-2007, 08:39 AM
I use a 2B .5 mechanical pencil to shade in the crevices and some of the details. I then use a 4B chisel edge .2 mm clutch pencil and burnish a layer over the cliff.

Frieda - you are absolutely correct! I did it again! Thank you for pointing that out!!!

Diane

Chloe_1
04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I must of miss this some while back; but was is a clutch pencil?

DianeWright
04-02-2007, 09:00 AM
but what is a clutch pencil?

It is a lead holder that uses 2mm lead. Here is the brand that I use. The staedtler lead is the smoothest lead to use.

http://www.artstuff.net/staedtler_lead_holders.htm

Diane

tyree
04-02-2007, 12:53 PM
:wave: diane....thank you so much for all your wonderful tutorials....i feel i have learned so much from them!!! i still have to finish my wintry tree and leaves, but will do the grand finale too!!! bravo!! on your book too!!! what a great accomplishment!!! tyree:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

whitesnow
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Beautiful Diane....
I am still learning to work on trees ... hoping to get to this class soon.

Can you please tell me the difference in results if I use a wooden pencil instead of a mech pencil. Will it effect my drawings

thanks ahead
PG

DianeWright
04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Can you please tell me the difference in results if I use a wooden pencil instead of a mech pencil. Will it effect my drawings

PG - I really think it is a personal preference. Some of the techniques might work better with a mechanical pencil, but I think you can certainly adapt these techniques to wooden pencils. I like using the mechanical pencil because I don't have to sharpen my lead and the weight never changes.

Diane

Dreamsun
04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
PG,
I just bought my first mech. pencils and I love them very much. The very very very important point is what Diane said - you don't have to sharpen and this is wonderful.

Diane, I have another question concerning mech. Pencils:
What is the difference between graphit leads ans polymere leads?

DianeWright
04-06-2007, 07:51 AM
What is the difference between graphit leads ans polymere leads?

The graphite powder is held together by polymers (I think!). So there is definitely differences between brands.

Diane

whitesnow
04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks Diane and dreamsun,
Will go get a few mech pencils and try it out. Am sure excited about not having to sharp.

tvandeb
04-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks Diane, these have been great tutorials, I have learned alot!!!!
I still have to finish my other assignments in trees, then I will put this one together. Thanks again!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

joane
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Dear Diane,
I echo the others sentiments regarding your beautiful work and your willingness to invest your time in teaching us. I too would like to do the landscape, although I did not do the sky, clouds and rocks individually--I will certainly review the classes and practice a bit as I work through this.

jasminerose
04-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Diane shall I start this lesson now ? thankyou jasmine

jasminerose
04-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Diane I only have a 0.5mm machanic pencil and the rest are lead wooden ones , is this ok? have not had a chance too buy the others yet . thankyou jasmine

DianeWright
04-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Diane shall I start this lesson now ?

YES!!! Start whenever you want to!! :)

I only have a 0.5mm machanic pencil and the rest are lead wooden ones , is this ok?

ABSOLUTELY! The list of materials is only what I use and my preferences. You may certainly use wooden pencils!

Diane

jasminerose
04-15-2007, 04:55 AM
great thanks diane im starting the outline now . tomorrow ill do more . jasmine

Dreamsun
04-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Hello everyone! :wave:

Diane,
I have a question/request:
Wouldn't it be good to post a larger version of your completed drawing?
Or to put a link where we could find it?

I always can learn a lot simply from looking at your drawing, but it is a bit small and I couldn't enlarge it very much.

**falling on my "knees" ** Diane, do you think it would be possible?

Have a nice week all! :heart:

DianeWright
04-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Martina,

We are restricted on the size of the image to post at WC. But here is a downloadable .pdf file of the tutorial. This is located on my website in the tutorial section. :)

http://www.dianewrightfineart.com/tutorial-landscapes/landscapes-tutorial.pdf

Diane

Dreamsun
04-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Thank you so much, Diane!!!!! :heart:

This is what I needed! Now I'll jump into the picture. :D

Dreamsun
04-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Good morning everyone!

Diane,

I must tell you this:
In another drawing-class we had to draw a self-portrait. I'm sure it was a good exercise but it was unbelievable hard for me to do an the likeness was great - to whom ever but not to me! :D

The day after finishing this exercise I went over to our landscape drawing - and I can't describe the feeling! Everything was so easy, so clear described, it was fun fun fun! (As the Beach Boys said once...)

Diane, you really are a wonderful teacher! :clap: :heart:

Here is it - so far. Suggestions are welcome. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2007/94648-ls1-kl.jpg

PS
I know Frieda has already told you, but may I remark it again?[/B]

[B]THE LIGHT HOUSE AND CLIFF:
I then use a 4B chisel edge .2 mm clutch pencil and burnish a layer over the cliff. Blu-tak is used to lift out highlights where the sun is hitting the surface

I found it in the pdf-file too. I don't know if it is possible to change it or to make a little note at the end of the pdf-file.

DianeWright
04-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Martina - Thank you for your comments regarding my lessons. I am so happy they have been helpful!!!

Your drawing is MARVELOUS!!!! You are doing a fantastic job!!!! :clap: :clap:

I have only one minor suggestion...take a closer look at the rocks in the foreground and take a peak back at lesson on rocks. Soften the vertical lines and use values to represent those angles instead.

This is so lovely....I can't wait to see it finished.

Diane

PS...I have sent the fix to my webmaster (Mike Sibley) to make the correction to the tutorial on-line as well as the pdf file.

Dreamsun
04-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Thank you Diane!!! *totallyhappyandsillysmiling*

I have only one minor suggestion...take a closer look at the rocks in the foreground and take a peak back at lesson on rocks. Soften the vertical lines and use values to represent those angles instead.

Diane

Yes, I will do so. It is such a fun to draw this picture, I can't stop all the time but have to - my family wants to eat. Totally waste......:evil:

Edit:
After reading the rock-tutorial a question came into my "stoned" :cool: brain:

Why do you use a 4H clutch pencil (I know the lead is much bigger)? I only have a 4H mech. and wooden pencil.
Is it because you can fill empty spaces faster or has it another use?

DianeWright
04-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Martina - Wooden pencils will work just fine. I just don't like to sharpen them!!! I do like how the clutch pencils lead is just so creamy. Sparrowhawk (Ken Brown) describes them as: "they go on as smooth as butter".

Diane

frieda L
04-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Had a busy week, and somehow I haven't been able to start this one yet. After all the time you put in and guiding us through the last series of classes, I think we really owe you a "grand finale" drawing. And the review and additional information you gave here really helps to bring it together.
Thank you Diane, I will be getting to it. Do you recommend we work on the same picture for this one, or does it matter?
frieda

DianeWright
04-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Frieda - I think it would be good to see you try this landscape. It really covers everything that we have been studying in the classes so well. And even though it might look daunting, I think you will be surprised as how simple and quick it comes together!

Diane

Dreamsun
04-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Frieda ... I think you will be surprised as how simple and quick it comes together!
Diane

Hi Frieda!
I was a bit afraid of trying this landscape too. But it is 1999 % correct what Diane said.
The first step is the hardest - sitting in front of the white virgin paper. But after the first stroke it was such a fun.

I look forward to your drawing! :heart:

jasminerose
04-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone im half way through my landscape picture now , ive found this the easyest one of all . maybe cause I went too the big one on the website of dianes and that made it easyer . hope your all well jasmine

jasminerose
04-21-2007, 07:29 AM
well here is a start too my assingement . what do you think ?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2007/97398-jasmine_final_assesment_putting_it_all_together.jpg :wave:

tyree
04-21-2007, 12:59 PM
jasmine...i think it looks wonderful...good work!!! tyree :wink2:

tyree
04-21-2007, 01:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2007/65063-finale_1.jpg here is my finale rendition...im quite pleased with my clouds..i think they are the best i have ever done, and ive done some doozies:eek: but thanks to our mentor Diane..i think i have improved on my landscapes, thanks Diane!!!! However, if you see some critique please tell me, cuz ive been looking at it too long now to see what it needs:o tyree:wave:

tyree
04-21-2007, 01:06 PM
martina...that lighthouse is absolutely fabulous!!! tyree :wave: :heart:

joane
04-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Martina, Tyree and Jasminrose--you are all of to a great start on your pictures! Each has a unique interpretation and I love seeing the same scene from everyone else's viewpoint. I have started on mine, but slowly--will post soon.

tyree
04-21-2007, 03:40 PM
thanks joane...i was a little worried when i first started..all the subject matter in it we studied...but, it was fun doing...tyree :wave:

Dreamsun
04-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Hello all. :wave:

Tyree,
your sky is wonderful!!! The whole drawing touches me, I like it very much.

Jasmine,
I like your drawing so far and look forward to the finished.

I agree to Joane - it is very interesting how we all draw this picture in a different way. We all see a little bit different (sorry, I miss the correct words but hope you understand what I want to say.) so the result is different too.
This is what art makes so wonderful - two people look at the same scene and draw a different picture.

scrappie
04-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Martina your drawing is pleasing, like your style. Jasmine looking good. Tyree WOW nice job. :thumbsup:

frieda L
04-22-2007, 11:56 AM
tyree, the first finale, very well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: I like the clouds, the rocks, the tree is great as well, ... you captured this birch-like feeling of small leaves shimmering in the light, and rustling in the wind...and overall it works as well... nice! The gravel/beach is well done and believable as well. I found that hard to do. Very lovely landscape, and a great finish for this landscape classes!
looking at it too long now to see what it needs
all it really needs is ...your signature!

Martina, that looks great! Great waves, lighthouse, rocks, looking forward to the finish! And the sky is awesome, looking @it again, I notice how the cloud pattern repeats the waves, or the other way around...:thumbsup:
Jasmine, very lovely.Interesting how you got a darker version (could be my monitor, if I am wrong, forgive me), heavier clouds, darker, like there is a reason for that lighthouse to be there. looking forward to the final.:thumbsup:
frieda

joane
04-22-2007, 12:35 PM
As usual, once I got started, I couldn't stop until I did the whole thing. Here is my final product. I could play around with it a lot more, but maybe enough is enough! Please critique, especially how and where it can be improved.

tyree
04-22-2007, 01:21 PM
joane...a very very lovely finish too...your tonals are perfect...bravo!!!! thanks to everyone...your comments are very kind and appreciated, its been fun taking these classes with you all!!! tyree:heart:

DianeWright
04-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Jasmine - NICE JOB! :thumbsup:

Tyree - Beautiful rendering. I have to agree with you...your sky and clouds are wonderful!!! No suggestions...!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Diane

DianeWright
04-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Joane - absolutely fantastic job!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: The only comment (and only because you asked!) would be perhaps a bit more darks where the trees and rocks meet. Some nice shadows would bring the eye to this area. I love it!!:heart:

joane
04-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Diane--will work on that over the next few days.

Sandy K
04-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Everyone has done an awesome job. I am still working on mine. I am a perfectionist.......I have thrown like 3 of them out.......

Joane......I wish I could done one as good as you have and also many of the others who have finished.

Diane.......one question......what brand leads do you use for the mechanicals? Also what brand lead for the 2 mm lead holder? I really am not very happy with the Pentel but it might just be me.

joane
04-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Sandy--just keep working on it. I have surprised myself with this one--I balked several times at the detail, but just told myself "you can do this"!

DianeWright
04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Sandy - The Pentels do seem to have some irregularities in quality. I really like the Staedtler brands. They are very creamy and apply smoothly.

http://www.rexart.com/mar_marsmicro_carbon.html

I also use the Staedtler-Mars leads for the 2mm lead holders.

Diane

tyree
04-22-2007, 03:25 PM
thanks diane...for your kind comments and all your help!!!! tyree

Sandy K
04-22-2007, 06:51 PM
thanks Diane.....that is the info I needed.....I thought the Pentel lead was a bit scratchy but I thought maybe it was me.

Anita Murphy
04-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Diane - I've been watching from the sidelines ............. this series of classes has been AMAZING! All I need is another 24 hours added to each day so I could do them! Maybe someday ................. *sigh*

joane
04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Diane,
Here are the changes I made from your suggestion--I think they may look a little too outlined after seeing the scan--may need to fix that??

frieda L
04-23-2007, 01:12 PM
joane, very nice finish, yours is very sweet, an attractive landscape!

and here is my version of this beautiful picture...
any suggestions or critique very much apreciated.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2007/22676-class_assignment_006.jpg
frieda

Sandy K
04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
oh man, Frieda and Joane, you are gonna make me stop mine soon....lol...they are really good. Joane, I don't think it looks outlined to me. I think both yours and Frieda's are excellent.

I got to order me some Blu-Tack.......just stumped on the size to order........is 75g enough? That is the size it comes in or do I order more than 1 unit? Any advice would be welcome.

I am a acrylic/oil painter...this drawing stuff is new to me. I am enjoying it but it is frustrating when I can't get it to look right. The values are what are getting me hung up. Hey in painting, values are easy for me...in drawing, they are not.

joane
04-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Frieda--like your version a lot--good sky--you could lay just a little bit of dark under the small rocks in front of the scene at the water line--that will make them look like they are set deeper in the water, rather than sitting on the surface.
Sandy--thanks for your kind critique--am keeping up with this to see yours on the screen--if you can paint, you can do it! Just work on one small area at a time--there is a lot here!

Sandy K
04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath, Joane on a post from me....lol....today I did not feel well. I have a couple artery blockages that are going to get fixed in a couple weeks. I am pretty tired almost every day. I had to wait for the bypass until my doctor who just had surgery himself a few weeks ago comes back to work before he can do the surgery. I won't let anyone but him cut me open so I am waiting patiently. So, everything I do is in slow motion but I have been working steadily on the landscape picture...just have not been happy with it. Hopefully, this week will produce something worth posting.

joane
04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I wish you every success, both with your surgery and your drawing! You should feel much better when it is all over and you are back on your feet! Convalesence will be a good excuse to draw!

Sandy K
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I know.....that is why I am getting all the supplies I need right now. Anyone have an answer on the Blu-Tack yet?

jasminerose
04-24-2007, 12:30 AM
yours is wonderful tyree . and thanks for the kind words . i can see that my clowds are in need of repair lol . jasmine

jasminerose
04-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Well here is my final landscape . ive really enjoyed doing this course with you all . thankyou diane for all you help once again . hope we can all do something else soon too keep going with our learning . thankyou all agian its been great . love jasminehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2007/97398-my_final_landscape_assingement.jpg :clap:

jasminerose
04-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Thankyou everyone for your kind words and help and suport . what do we do now ? it feels a bit of a letdown too be finished . love jasmine

jasminerose
04-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Sandy sorry you are sick . hope all goes well for you . about the bluetac. it comes in a large paket but its only about 2 dollars thats australian . its cheap and you can get it at the newsagesncy or local shops . hope that helps . jasmine

Dreamsun
04-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey everyone!
Wow - such great drawings all around here! This is another reason why I love this or better those classes - we all encourage each other and we all are honest with our comments and it is fun to be in a class with you all. :)

Joane,
it looks so good!! I love the big tree very much. :thumbsup:

Frieda,
see how wonderful your drawing has become. :clap:

Jasmine
really nice drawing!!! :)

Sandy,
I'm sorry to hear of your surgery I press all my fingers that you get fit again very fast!
And yes - the Blutak is enough - more than enough. :cool: I bought a smaller package and it really is a lot.

Now here is my finished "Split Rock" (MN - is it Maine or Minnesota? I think Maine... :o )
The big rock isn't such dark. Please give me your comments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2007/94648-split-rock-kl.jpg

Diane - thank you so much for this wonderful class! It was a huge help and fun and .... :heart:

Oh and - I always have to add a little something or to change a little bit - I don't know why. I hope it is okay. Maybe you can guess what I wanted to add. :o

Sandy K
04-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Thank you Jasmine, Joanne and Martina.....it is really intriguing how the same source pictures have been drawn so differently. You all have done a wonderful job.

LOL..my aunt used to tell me that the more prayers the better. I think I had the whole world praying for me 7 years ago when I had major bypass surgery....this is just a little hiccup....probably are just going to put in 2 stents......we are in the process of looking at vacation homes and we found one and I won't let my husband put an offer in on it until after the surgery in case I croak...he just rolls his eyes......BUT he is going to buy me Mike Sibley's book as a get well present so maybe it is all worth it, eh????...lol

jasminerose
04-24-2007, 07:10 AM
wow sandy lucky you . you will be the best drawer out of us all .lol thanks matina and I love your footprints in the sand . very cool jasmine

Dreamsun
04-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Sandy,
... BUT he is going to buy me Mike Sibley's book as a get well present so maybe it is all worth it, eh????...lol

*laughing* THIS is phantastic!! And a very good incentive. :clap: :thumbsup:

---------
Edit:

Jasmine,
*rofl* we posted nearly at the same minute..
I'm happy that you know what this is in the sand... :heart:

Sandy K
04-24-2007, 07:19 AM
I didn't even notice the footprints in the sand (bad me)....very nice touch Martina!

After 38 years of marriage, I guess he can pop some cash.......I sure have been doing his laundry and ironing shirts for a long time...lol. I spend my own cash on my grandsons (3 of them, 1 more grandson due in June) so he can just pop for the book....I am cheap labor........lol....

Today I feel great so maybe I will get some drawing accomplished. Have a good day, everyone!!

scrappie
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
WIP- putting it all together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2007/88717-split_rock_lighthouse_drawing_1.jpg

joane
04-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Martina--I love the footprints and nice work on the foliage on the left of the cliff
Jasminerose--nice work--good rocks!
Frieda--a lovely, loose look to your foliage--blowing in the breeze!
Sandy--keep us posted on your progress--with the surgery and the drawing!

Sandy K
04-24-2007, 10:50 PM
wow scrappie, that really looks like it is coming along great!!!

IslanderNL
04-25-2007, 07:04 AM
I've lurked off and on during your classes Diane, but have sucked up the wonderful information and now have tried to put some of it to use in a final drawing.

I'm not a landscape artist, mostly out of laziness - I like to tackle one thing at a time :) But going outside my comfort zone of drawing people and animals is a good thing.

The photo of this isn't great as light was fading. I'm not thrilled with the water. It doesn't look watery enough and I found the trees a real bear to draw. Also I don't think I've left enough 'sky holes' in them.

All the other drawings here are amazing. People have such talent, its wonderful to see.

So here's my version

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2007/67422-lighthouse.jpg

Sandy K
04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Jeanette, that looks great.......as far as the trees go...they look like Diane's drawing. In her drawing the trees are dense also.

You might want to darken up the dark values in the shadow side of the rocks a bit but I am most certainly not experienced enough in the genre to give an adequate appraisal but that is what struck me when I looked at your piece. Excellent, excellent job.

I know what you mean about the comfort zone. I am doing the same thing....lol.....and at least you finished yours......mine are mostly in my trash can so you can proud of yourself.

Dreamsun
04-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey Scrappie,
your drawing is going to get great!!!

Jeanette, I love your drawing. It is a soft one with soft mood.
------------------

:D I couldn't help to going on work a little bit on mine. Friends gave me some good advices and I hope, it has become a bit better. I added some darks with a Sanford Ebony pencil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2007/94648-split-rock_2.jpg

jasminerose
04-26-2007, 02:15 AM
that looks great matina . everyone has done a good job i recon! thankyou joane . love jasmine

Sandy K
04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, I checked with a couple people on here and they say that Mike Sibley's book is really good so I am going to go ahead and purchase it.

My husband told me to order it today so that I will have something to keep my mind occupied waiting for my surgery. Hopefully, it doesn't take too long to get here.

I should have all my supplies I need in a couple days now. I ordered the Staedtler Lumographs and some lead holders, Blu-tack..........I was going to order the Staedtler Micro Carbons as they are only 88 cents but man, I need to think about paying 7.50 for shipping for a 3 buck item..........maybe stick with the Pentel lead right now and see if all the new supplies and stuff work better. I also ordered Wolff's Carbon Pencil (jet dense black) just because someone told me they were awesome and I had to again justify the $7.50 charge at Utrecht's when I ordered the Lumographs.

Heck since I started this thread, all I have done is draw. My paintings are sitting in my studio half finished. My pastels are also sitting neglected. But I think good drawing is a prerequisite for good painting. That is why it was my New Year's resolution to learn to draw better.

Thank you Diane for all the advice. You have helped me tremendously. I have not finished the final drawing of the lighthouse yet....can't seem to get it just right. Waiting for the Blu-tack. But I have been doing the tree and rock exercises at night watching my Detroit Tigers play awesome baseball.

JoAne, thank you for all your help.

Sandy K
04-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Dang...Sibley's book is sold out at his source in Texas.

jasminerose
04-27-2007, 10:45 PM
sandy . can you not go into an art shop too buy your stuff instead of ordering by mail ? it would be cheaper . buy the way whats the stadler lumogrphs ? thanks jasmine

Sandy K
04-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Jasmine, I live on the northern edge of Detroit which is a very large metropolitan city. Dick Blick's and Utrech's are here but not very close...takes at least an hour to get to either one. And that is in good traffic. We have a Michael's and JoAnne's, but they are mostly a craft store and only have a few items.

The Staedtler Lumograph leads are leads made by a German company. The leads are supposed to be outstanding and smooth. They come in wooden pencils also. I was looking for leads for the .2mm lead holder. Most places on the internet had them for $10.99 for a package of 10 I think. That is what Dick Blick has. I did not want to pay that for my 4 lead holders (which I bought thru Diane's link of something like $3.49 apiece)....so I found out that Utrecht's sells the lead for $1.99 for a 2 pack.....that is why I ordered it from them. I was surprised though when my order came in the mail. Utrecht gave me a 100 page 11 1/2 x14" Wirebound Sketchbook for free. The paper looks really kind of nice so I am very happy that I ordered the leads from them. I also ordered "Wolff's Carbon Pencils" from them and oh man, they give incredible darks.....they are a combination of graphite and charcoal and what is great about them is you don't get graphite shine when you go dark. Incredible pencils. I think they were 7 bucks for 4 of them in different grades of softness.

I think Staedtler Lumographs in a .2mm lead holder is what Mike Sibley uses or at least that is what he shows on his website.

Hope this helps. I sure wish an art store was within a half hour of me but unfortunately it isn't. Or maybe fortunately (I would spend too much money if it were close)....lol

scrappie
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Diane I thank you for all your personal time for putting together the tutorials.:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2007/88717-splitrock_lighthouse_6.jpg

DianeWright
04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
:wave: Hi Everyone!! :wave:

WOW! I am so proud of everyone here! These are all fantastic! I've got no suggestions or recommendations. I'm just sitting back admiring all the great work that has been produced!!!!

Diane

bayside girl
05-01-2007, 04:26 PM
It's taken a while to do this assignment, but here it is. Thanks Diane for these great lessons and the time you put into them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/97897-landscape_5.jpg

DianeWright
05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Bayside Girl - Very nice finish!! I like the tree leaves as they canopy over the light house!

Diane

tvandeb
05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Diane:
Just finished my full tree, with leaves and posted it. I will start on the landscape this weekend, sorry, I guess I am behind again as usual. :o

tvandeb
05-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I am still working on my landscape...
But with Judy's permission; I wanted to let you all know that Diane's New book is out!!! I got an e-mail on my personal server, and ordered it today!!!:clap: :clap:
This is on doing Landscapes. So, if you got alot out of the classroom, as I have ,with her teachings, techniques etc. : check out her website, and order her new book!!!!
:clap:

Judi1957
05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
I got mine ordered too Tammy Jo!:clap: :clap: Thanks!

I hope to start my landscape soon.:o

Emma Llewelyn
09-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey! Thanks for this lesson theres some great tips there! This is my first attempt at a landscape I normally do portraits so its not perfect but I'm happy with it for a first attempt anyway. The paper curves a little at the right in the photo so it may look slightly warped.

I used my own photo of Eillien Donna castle in Scotland rather than the reference one, hope thats ok

Any criticism would be appreciated! =]

Emma Llewelyn
09-20-2009, 04:18 AM
The attachments didn't work, I'll try that again..

arnoud3272
09-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Emma -
This looks fine. But if you want advice on improving your technique, you'd better post a larger picture, you can go up to 800 x 800 pixels. At the current size, your technique is hidden in the pixelation.
I am not in a position to comment on the landscape, but I have a good eye on buildings. You wrote "any criticism" but I hesitate because I don't know your intentions. You succeeded in realizing a very believable medieval mood, which is for a large part due to the perspective errors, as perspective came only into use in the Renaissance. So it could very well be a deliberate choice. And to an effective artistic effect. If not, I am quite willing to show you.
I like the composition, with its rhythmic diagonals :).