PDA

View Full Version : Standing Guard - X post from Open Critique

SunsetSue
04-01-2007, 06:20 PM
This is an attempt to put a little life in my paintings. Am interested in knowing what everyone thinks of this in terms of color, composition, and general feeling of the piece.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2007/10094-Standing_Guard.jpg

hoofty
04-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Beautiful...the sky and clouds are fantastic, and the buck looks like he is standing guard while the doe is drinking. I think you've done a great job :)

idcrisis55
04-01-2007, 09:24 PM
That is a lovely scene and the clouds are beautifully painted. The size of the deer that is drinking seems a little large to me for the distance that it is. I'm not great with perspective so take that with a grain or two of salt.

dreamz
04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
great clouds and tree line, the deer do look a bit out of scale, perhaps if the tree on the left was bigger?

SunsetSue
04-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input. It is so hard to judge one's own work. I have never painted deer before and it was quite difficult and I am still not sure they look like deer. Now if only I could improve my photography!!!
_____
Sue

katsarecool
04-03-2007, 12:47 AM
I think the look like great deer and the entire painting is very well done and so pleasing to the eyes. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi Sue - I do like those clous and the sky - well done!
I also like the soft painting in the background trees and you have quite an interesting play of light across the middle ground.

I do think the composition lets you down though - and it's easily remedied:D

The deer are too big for the surroundings so you need to make that tree more substantial because it is further forward than the deer. ... and as the one on land is - or appears to be close to the b'ground tree, perhaps a rise of land behind him, painted across the base of the trees (on left) would help give the impression of greater distance while also covering the rather awkward angle of the land, because it is falling away to the left (and the stream would fall off too!!!)

Then, the tree on the right needs to be much bigger - I know it's broken, but it would help the comp if it was big enough to break the skyline and unite sky and foreground.

You really do have some nice individual areas and elements in this, it's just the overall 'picture' which needs slight adjustments :D

SunsetSue
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks so much for the critiques. I really value the different opinions and I like looking at it from a different perspective. I thought the tree stump might be better taller but was not sure and was not sure if the deer with the antlers stood out from the background enough. Thanks to you all for giving me some points to ponder.
_____
Sue

SunsetSue
04-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Here is a slightly better pic. Still need to do some touch ups and then will repost final version. Thanks everyone for your comments.
_____
Sue

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2007/10094-Standing_Guard.jpg