PDA

View Full Version : April Pastel Strokes

CJMonty
03-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the April edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies, they are as follows:

• An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
• The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.
• Interested participants, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.
• The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things! This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Feel free to have some fun!
• You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size.
• Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

This is a photo that I took a couple of years ago at an Open Range Zoo in Dubbo, a town New South Wales Australia.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2007/85215-DSC00224_Small.JPG

The background is not the most appealing but I think the photo conveys the strength and majesty of these Big Cats.

Pat Isaac
03-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Wow, this is going to be a challenge. Thanks for hosting this month. You need to put an announcement in the OP studio and the soft pastel studio with a link to this one. I'll stickie this one.

Pat

The Art Corner
03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Way cool I'm in. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

sundiver
03-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Oooooo, scarey! Also irresistible!

Diana_pastels
03-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Oh my! Since I am a complete newbie this is way out of my league. But I will be watching this thread to see all the terrific work you pros are going to produce!
Diana

AnnieA
03-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Oh wow, CJ - is he ever a beauty! I always intend to participate in these, cause they're so much fun. Maybe I'll manage this time - it looks like a good one!

Thanks for hosting, CJ! :)

Note to Diana_pastels: Welcome to WC! :wave: You ought to give it a try! The Pastel Strokes threads are a great place to learn more. I've gotten tons of help the times I've particpated, and have learned a lot. :)

Pat Isaac
03-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Welcome to pastel strokes, Diana. Annie is absolutely right, do join in the fun.

Pat

Diana_pastels
03-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. I'll think about trying it.:rolleyes: I am assuming I have all month to work on it, is that correct? The hardest part will probably be trying to figure out how to get the finished product onto this thread!:lol:
Diana

Pat Isaac
03-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes, you have the whole month. when you are ready just ask for help and we'll tell you how. If you just go to the menu bar at the top of the thread and click on quick links and then on image uploader, it will tell you how. Have fun.

Pat

RooGal
03-31-2007, 06:21 PM
:eek: Well, this will certainly be a challenge for me. I've been waiting for the April pic, so I won't back out. I've been spending most of my time of late in the Drawing forum trying to hone whatever skills I may have to become better. Already have an idea in my head for background, just not sure if I can translate that onto paper. :o

Diana_pastels :wave: I'm new at this as well and only participated in my first monthly pastel stroke last month. It's a wonderful practice in my mind. I hope you do join in.

Cheers!
Pam

Usha
03-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Wow CJ! Very Interesting! Irresistible too! I will try!
Regards,
Usha

CJMonty
03-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Welcome Everyone,

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's interpretation of this pic. Welcome to Pam and Diana, I also have found these guys so friendly and helpful here and everyone is so encouraging, glad you are going to have a go. I won't be around very much for Monday and Tuesday but will try to keep in touch with everyone after that.

Take Care

CJ :heart:

vmiller
03-31-2007, 10:49 PM
This site is just what I was looking for! I have been painting pastel for only six years, but am very isolated, being the only pastellist in a group of half a dozen watercolorists out in the country. There are a lot of other Aussies here to, I have noticed. Great. I will have a go at this although it's not my usual type of subject matter. A change is as good as a holiday, they say.

Pat Isaac
04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Welcome, Vicki. This is fun challenge every month. Enjoy.

Pat

ElleZee
04-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I do believe I am going to have to give this big kitty a try....hmmm...what to do, what to do :lol: :evil: :lol:

sjb
04-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh man. I'm definitely going to give this a go. Maybe several, because that's what it will take to make something that doesn't look like an orange striped twinkie. :)

Simon

CJMonty
04-02-2007, 04:20 AM
HI Guys,

Just popped in to see if there were any more takers on the tiger :) Welcome Simon, Lori and Vicki, I guess I too should have a go at this one seeing as it was my idea, have never tried an animal before let alone a furry one, I guess there is always a first time for everything. Look forward to seeing everyones paintings.

hopalong
04-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Yea!! I just did a tiger head on for a WDE recently so this will be loads of fun.
Thanks for a wonderful pix!

Pat Isaac
04-02-2007, 05:31 PM
You are way ahead of us, Lindsay. That tiger head was fantastic.

Pat

CJMonty
04-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Lindsey, your tiger looks fantastic, looking forward to what you do with this one.

Guys, I had Chemo yesterday so I won't be around much of today I don't think as I tend to spend the next day in bed, it makes for a better week all round generally. I just happened to get up to see hubby off to work so thought I'd pop in to see who was around.

Thankyou Pat for popping up from OP too. :wave:

I'll see how things are later in the day and I may call in again.

hopalong
04-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Shucks Pat and CJ....thanks so much

CJ I hope your chemo does not completely wipe you out this week. Good Luck and maybe when you are feeling better, you can do mr T. too!

vmiller
04-02-2007, 09:09 PM
do we post only when we are finished? I am a bit stuck after blocking in

sundiver
04-02-2007, 09:12 PM
do we post only when we are finished? I am a bit stuck after blocking in

Go ahead and post and ask for suggestions if you like!

vmiller
04-02-2007, 09:51 PM
well, I have not done too many animals and I'm not sure where to go next. This is just a sketch so far, criticise all you like!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2007/104840-Picture_002.jpg

Ta, vicki

vmiller
04-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I have decolorised and I can see I need to add some lighter colour values esp shoulders and forelegs. Should I start there?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2007/104840-Picture_002value.jpg

eagle owl
04-03-2007, 06:01 AM
It's nearly two years since I participated in Pastel Strokes so I'm in this time. Can't resist a tiger :thumbsup:

Carol

pequan
04-03-2007, 09:05 AM
great photo....gorgeous kitty cat, can't wait to attempt this...thanks for doing this month's project.

CJMonty
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Vicki, you really have the strength of his muscle there in his shoulder, and I love what you have done with the background.

Pat Isaac
04-03-2007, 10:29 AM
What a great start, Vicki. You have captured his stance. A black and white really helps with the values.

Pat

hopalong
04-03-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree Vicki! Lovely sense of power you have captured here!!! I love the value photo too!

alija1001
04-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi I love doing wild animals in pastel so I will have a go at this. Have done tigers eyes in the past and did one tigers body before but that was over a year ago. Hope the chemo is helping with what ever is wrong with you. I have M.E. arthritis, sciatica, IBS, and a whole host of other things. Its doing my art that keeps me going. (Also my grandchildren). Look forward to seeing everyones finnished article.

alija1001
04-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi here is the first one I tried on white card, but it is very hard to blend the colours so have started another on grey pastel paper. Will try to finish this in the next couple of days.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2007/78136-Tiger_on_white_card.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2007/78136-Tiger_on_pastel_paper.jpg :clap: :lol: :clap:

marie_d
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone
Heres my effort, Ive never done a painting of an animal before. It sure was a challenge. I've done it on 8"x10" Green Murano pastel paper with Inscribe SP and W&N SP.
Marie:)

PS tried to upload a larger image but cant seem to do it. Following instructions from the 'insert image' icon but nothings happening when I click the pop up image to confirm.What could I be doing wrong.

vmiller
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks, all for your comments,
I will work on that tonight as I have art group this afternoon and I am going to try some 60 min sketches - and tell all about this site!
Marie, your style and mine seem very similar. I paint exactly what I see. But I want to learn to paint what I feel as well, do you agree?

marie_d
04-04-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi Vicki,
Yes we do have a similar style. You have got the shape perfect for the pad on the front leg, I couldnt get it right no matter how many times I tried. Thats why I decided to put in the grass in the foreground to conveniently cover his pad. Its a hard subject this month, with only learning pastels over the last couple of weeks its made it doubly harder. Trying to get fur strokes with soft pastels is quite a job. Might have to buy some pastel pencils, everyone seems to recommend these for detailed work, fur etc.
I think you do get a better feel of a painting if the subject is something you really like. Will check back later to see how you are progessing.
Marie:wave:

vmiller
04-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Sometimes these things do go right. I am pleased with the shape. I am not always, of course, today at art class I was trying to paint some eggs. Big mistake! I have the tiger on my easel, but I am still procrastinating. Been fiddling with the computer as you can see below.
vicki

vmiller
04-04-2007, 06:13 AM
P.S. Marie, there is a "how to" article in the new members forum on how to upload photos, perhaps it was the wrong file type or size.
V

CJMonty
04-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Gill, You've done well, rwo attempts already, I haven't even begun one yet.

Marie, Love your background, I agree with Vicki you both have similar styles.

Thankyou Vicki for guiding Marie to the "How to Section", I usually just go by the prompts at the top of the Thread tool bar and it just comes out right.

If you have any further problems with up loading, I suggest you ask one of our trusty Guides or Moderators.

CJ

marie_d
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi CJ
I have already checked the 'how to section', I have followed the 'insert image' from the icon in the message tool bar. Its ok up until the second pop up window comes up with 'click this image if it is the correct file'. When I click it the only thing happens is the window disappears. Apparently it is supposed to put your file info into your message (something like it does with attachments) when you confirm and then you can post. The file info is not being forwarded through to my message. I then have to send it as an attachment which I think must always appear as a smaller image. We have disabled the 'pop up blocker' for the whole of the WC site so I don't know whats causing the problem.
I am going to send my painting in again as there was too much light off the flash on the one I posted last night making it look lighter than what it is.
Marie:)

Pat Isaac
04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Marie, If you go to the tool bar and click on quick links and then on image uploader, it will tell you what to do.
That is a great tiger, you have captured him well.
Pat

marie_d
04-04-2007, 12:26 PM
V, nice banner there on your posts, is that all your own work?. Lovely. Come on there, no procrastinating with the kitty, he wont bite. Whats putting you off? You are doing well so far.
Pat,Thanks for the advice with the image uploader. I will give it a try but will wait till later when hubby gets home. He knows more about these things than me. See you all later

vmiller
04-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Marie, I will post in the morning, I promise, as it is 2.40 am here and I should be asleep - naughty me v

alija1001
04-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes that is really good Marie. Love the greens.

marie_d
04-04-2007, 01:38 PM
trying again to upload larger image from the quick links uploader.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2007/102905-tiger1.JPG

Looks like I have cracked it!!!!! Thanks Pat for the advice, and I suppose I will have to thank hubby as well for his supervision.

vmiller
04-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Good on you marie! The new image looks much brighter and I can see his whiskers. I have been ill all night and so not much done, going to doctor today, wil get on to it when I feel better.

CJMonty
04-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Well done Marie, he looks great, really love the background you have put in.

Pat, thank you for your help with Marie's uploading of her pic, much appreciated.

Vicki, hope you will be well soon then we can see your finished version of the Tiger.

Looking forward to some more people having a go at this winderful creature, I too will try to make some time to have a go at him too after Easter.

Take Care

Love CJ :heart:

marie_d
04-05-2007, 03:20 AM
CJ, Finally got the imaging problem sorted out. The background I did in two shades of green over dark green paper, letting some of the paper show through in places. I didnt want to make it look too detailed which is a problem I do tend to have. I think it comes from I like to draw a lot.I tried to do it looser and I think its paid off. I loved doing the tiger stripes (detail again) the black against the yellow ochres. I enjoyed the challenge, looking forward to seeing every one elses paintings. Like you say every one will have their own styles and techniques and its nice to see all the variations of work sent in.
V. Sorry to hear you are not well, hope you are up and about soon. Catch up with you later.

Pat Isaac
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Looks great, Marie.

Pat

Eirl
04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Here is my attempt. Found it hard to make out the features of the face. Then added background but as the light bulb in the room fused, the only other,rather dim, light available confused my choice of greens:o Got a shock when I saw it in daylight. As ever C and C very welcome. Thank you, Elizabeth. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2007/97712-wctiger.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Really nice take on this month's image. His gesture is right on and the colors are great.

Pat

vmiller
04-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Elizabeth, I love your background. I am much better, and going to have a go at finishing later today. Probably will be bedtime for you guys by then, so tomorrow then.
Vicki:clap:

CJMonty
04-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Love your background Elizabeth, you seem to have the Tiger's features just right too.

Thought I would have to go until next Tuesday or so without being able to log onto WC. On Thursday afternoon our phone line started to play up as in extremely noisy to the level that you couldn't even try to have a conversation on it. Seeing as our phone is connected to our ADSL everything kept dropping out or not appearing at all. We managed to get hold of Telstra and they said it would be Tuesday before they would have any one out to us:mad::evil:. Fortunately we have been very lucky and they came out today which really surprised me being Good Friday, That's great service adn everything seems to be working fine so far.
So if I drop of the planet without a message getting to you guys it is due to our connection, hopefully there will be no more problems.

Vicki, glad you are feeling a lot better now.

Take Care

marie_d
04-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Gill - Hope you are managing ok. Not heard from you for a couple of days
Elizabeth - nice job. Love the colours. The background is very good with the trees and the scrub.
V - nice to see you are feeling a bit better. Its not all that heat over there is it?

Has any one else got a grumpy husband or partner at home who now complains 'I cant get on my computer anymore since you've joined WC'

Marie :wave:

CJMonty
04-06-2007, 05:34 AM
We have a computor each and our ADSL is networked between the two computors and the two lap tops so no fights here. There's only the two of us humans and two furkids but they don't use the computors, just like to be at your feet when you do.

CJ

alija1001
04-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi here is the finnished product. Hope you like it.:clap:

alija1001
04-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi here is the finnished product. Hope you like it.:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2007/78136-Tiger_in_pastels.jpg :wave: :clap: :wave:

alija1001
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Sorry I have been very busy and not found time to finnish the picture till today.

marie_d
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Gill -You did a good job with your painting. Like the overall shape of your tiger, his head is nicely formed as well. Lovely bright colours.

CJ - I wonder if my hubby will buy me a laptop, no! better not push my luck

vmiller
04-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Gill, I like the colours in your painting, the blue of the sky is soothing.

Yes, it has been that hot. A real stinker of a summer and not quite finished yet. Is it the same in Perth, CJ? Our creek, which is fed by a spring is pretty much empty and we have had a lot of fires. It is still not safe yet to lift the fire ban.

I have been unable to work on my painting, but I assure you it will be done as soon as I get my Mum settled on Wednesday after her surgery.

I don't remember saying anything about cats being egyptian, but my kitten, as you say - when she is still - is very skinny and sleek like an egyptian painting.211111111111111111111111 - sorry, she just sat on my laptop lol
Vicki

Pat Isaac
04-07-2007, 07:32 AM
I really like the bright colors you have in your painting, reminds me of jungle colors. Nice stance to the tiger.

Pat

CJMonty
04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Guys, Just this minute walked in the door from work, it is 2200 on Saturday night and we were so busy at work, the shift just flew by, I work again tomorrow afternoon shift also then I have 4 days off again.

Gill, htis one is so much brighter, it is amazing what a different colour paper can do to the colours isn't it.

Vicki, yes it has been a long hot dry summer here too, can't remember when we had a decent rainfall here in Perth. Several years ago we used to get some realy good summer rains from the cyclone tails from the North West but not any more they haven't really had many good rain bearing ones for a few years. Even the winters don't bring us very much heavy rains any more.

I hope everyone has a really nice Easter.

Take Care I am looking forward to seeing some more Tigers appearing here soon.

alija1001
04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes my teacher is always say I do things very bright. Thanks for your comments. Look forward to see everyone elses attempts.

tyree
04-08-2007, 10:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2007/65063-tiger_3.jpg hi everyone!!! i used bits and pieces of pastel stix for this beast...red/orange so it would pop out:evil: ...some very good work by all that ive seen:wink2: tyree :wave:

CJMonty
04-09-2007, 01:07 AM
WOW Tyree, this fellow certainly pops out of the black background, he looks great. Thankyou for joining us, I hope we get plenty more before the month is out.

CJ

wabbitt
04-09-2007, 02:07 AM
vicki - looking fantastic. did I miss the finish?

gill - wonderful efforts!

marie d - congratulations, great job with those stripes

elizabeth - fantastic tiger, love the creative background. Eek, you set him free!

tyree - wow, I love how you simplified the marks on his face. They were hard to see. What a bright kitty.

Not my favorite subject but here it is. Thanks for the reference, CJ. OP's first time on 12"x9" yupo. Was fun playing with the textures. I took a rough towel to make fur and grass. A hard cheap OP worked well for the fence. Had a tough time trying to add stripes & face- too slippery.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2007/76057-apr_op_sm.JPG

closeup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2007/76057-apr_op_crop.JPG
C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Comment: Just now looking at the image, IRL the blue is actually more green (like the reference, except a tad brighter.)

alija1001
04-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Wow love the fence. Grrrrrrrrrrreat picture.

Pat Isaac
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Great cat, Tyree. Just pops off the page right at you.
Good for you, Julie trying the Yupo. He looks quite fine and I like all your textures.

Pat

tyree
04-09-2007, 04:39 PM
:wave: julie...beautiful work..i love the texture in him!!! ....thanks all for kind comments...tyree :D

vmiller
04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Tyree, your colours are so vibrant, great! Julie, I had never thought of doing that to achive texture, thanks for a geat idea!
My Mum is coming home from surgery tomorrow, I will have to stay with her for at least a week as she will be unable to use her arm, so I'll just have to wait and grab the time to finish when I can. Spent the last three days driving, driving, driving. So I will be glad to get back into my painting asap.
Are you going to be able to do the kitty, Pat?
Vicki:cat:

Pat Isaac
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes, I hope to do the kitty.:cat: Life will slow down a bit after this week. Hope your Mom does fine, Vicki, sure she will under your care.

Pat

CJMonty
04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
HI Vicki,

Hope your Mum does OK and recovers quickly. Is it school hols over your way too Vicki. It is here in the West which also means Art Classes are on hold for the duration. We are going away for an 8 week trip starting early June for my 50th so I have absolutely SO MUCH to cram into the intervening time, including an Inservice to give at work which means I also have to prepare it.

Is there any one else out there going to give this Kitty a go, come on, Leigh Rust, where are you, or are you too snowed under to join us. Your work is SO AWESOME. So too is Patrick's from South Australia both these Artists are AMAZING. If you have not already looked at their Web sites , please do so, they are both memebers of WC so are easy to find.

Pat Isaac
04-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I am definitely going to give this kitty a go, just need to get back to "normal" after a busy family week and now demos this week. Not to worry.
School vacation here next week. 8 week trip, how awesome....where are you going?

Pat

CM Neidhofer
04-10-2007, 06:46 PM
It's on my list to give a go at, also. :cat:

Christine

winecountry
04-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm new , where do we put the painting we do when were done?
thanks
colleen

Pat Isaac
04-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Welcome, Colleen. You put it right here in this thread.

Pat

BetsyPriesing
04-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow,

I have been worrying about what to do with this months picture. I'm glad i looked back in to see what everyone else was doing as it has givin' me the push to figure out what i can do with him.

Vicky I haven't seen anything that you have done that wasnt impressive and just seeing you "just a sketch" im sure you will have another great one. The values photo's always help for me...everyone should try it. Did you do one of the photo itself too?

Gill I do like the hazy quality to the sky it allows the orange tiger to pop out infront. Your finish works well.

Marie great overall "tiger", you and gill have me to thinking about changing the background to something that would ..."turn me on"....more. As I didn't find the fence very compelling, which in turn wouldn't help me in my quest...to get things done.

Elizabeth Your palette works well with the tiger, another great background!!! I had some trouble with the face too...i had to ignore the whiskers until the end. i like the neck area for your tiger, you might want to try using the orange you have there and touch it into some of the shadowing in the body it will pop out the muscles and intergrate the coloring. I think. :)

Tyree you colors are so powerful they give it a bold stroke kinda gives it a simplified feeling to it that is very pleasing.

Julie looks great! he really looks like he is pacing in front of the fence. It has a watercolor feel to it....... I'll have to try OP's someday...after i get enough SP's....I have just started this March, so i have a 120 set of rembrandts to start with but really see where i need others that would be softer.....and darker.:)

It's will be my 2nd month to try.
Here it is its on brown Can mi-t' 11X14
I'm still not happy with the face and i think i need to plant him more into the landscape....

:rolleyes: :( critques welcome :heart:

Betsy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2007/103534-bangel_tiger_pastel_2email.jpg

CJMonty
04-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Betsy, love what you have done with the background, and you have done a wonderful job of the tiger. Glad you had a shot and I hope you enjoyed doing it.

CJ

wabbitt
04-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Betsy, that's beautiful. I like the softness of his fur. Beautiful job with those stripes, especially around his face. Love the rocky background.

artyscope
04-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Wow great works all :thumbsup: Here is my attempt.....Oil pastel on green pastel paper A4 sizehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2007/93064-tiger_oilpastel2.JPG

CJMonty
04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Hello Artyscope, You've done a great job of this majestic creature, love the background you have done too.

CJMonty
04-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thankyou to all of you that have had a go at doing this wonderful animal, it is only early in the month so I hope we get alot more here. I too have to have my go, that should be interesting as I have never tried an animal before let alone a furry one and then to have to try to put in a non exhistant background too, that's some challenge.

You have all done a great job so far and I have really enjoyed being involved in this so far so keep them coming.

Pat Isaac
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Betsy, that is a wonderful background and a nice softness to the tiger.
Artsyscope, you really havae the feeling of the tiger on the prowl.

Pat

BetsyPriesing
04-12-2007, 10:00 AM
CJ thanks I did end up liking the challange once i started it, I will probably hang around alot more:)
Julie Thanks about the background lots of hunting through photos looking for the right setting for the tiger....I think it ended up days...:o

Artyscope your tigers lifting leg looks executed well....the transition of weight from the standing leg to the steping forward leg works well. I'm going to have to rethink mine...:mad:

thank you Pat for the kind comments.....

but he still needs some tweaking.... so i will play....and probably mangle the whole thing....but gotta learn:D

artyscope
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks CJ and Pat for the kind comments. And Betsy, thanks for your comments too. I love your picture and like the way you have blended the colours to achieve the form of the animal. I think I need to work on that aspect too.

marie_d
04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone, thought I would pop in to see how everyone is doing. Not had chance to use the computer for a couple of days, been minding the grandchildren since Sunday. Got a bit of peace now as they have gone home today.
Tyree - Lovely bright colours
Julie - Nice texture, great fencing
Betsy - What lovely surroundings for your tiger. I like the nice soft appearance you have achieved.
Artyscope - Like the colour of your background, nice tigers face.
Marie :)

winecountry
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
What fun, as a newbie,I'm just delighted to find you all. I took the photo as a chance to explore my current passion of forms emerging from deep darkness into light. 45 min study on pastelbord, took liberty with stripes to make patterns that worked for my purposes...I could do more to develop it but think I'll stop as the main purpose is accomplished. thanks to Terry Ludwig for the wonderful darks to use.
Colleen

wabbitt
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
artyscope - great work with the OP's. Your colors are right on and more what I was hoping for if I hadn't been distracted by yupo, hehe. Nice job!

colleen - wow, that dark background gives menacing mood to the tiger. Excellent detail in the face.

Pat Isaac
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Wonderful feeling of light and dark, Colleen. Yeah those Terry Ludwig darks are great. Time for some darks like that in OPs.

Pat

winecountry
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
what's OP... oil pastel?? I used soft in the study...:-)

Pat Isaac
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM
OP is oil pastel and I guess my post was confusing. I knew that your post was soft pastel. It's just that us oilies would like to have some darks like Terry's.

Pat

winecountry
04-12-2007, 05:56 PM
thanks for explaining...is there a place where all the inital words are posted, tho by lurking I'm beginning to figure things out..don't think any darks like terry's will be possible in other media...as only the soft pastel can absorb so much light, mix with other media and more light bounces off the surface..I've gone in to the dark thing for some time and no other media can do what soft does for the surface. I want to thank you for your consitantly gentle and postive remarks to all, it helps a new person like me feel safer. and there are other places to get a full blast if I need it, and I do sometimes!

Pat Isaac
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Don't know of a place where initials are posted. If you are in doubt, just ask. Sometimes we just babble off initials without thinking others may not know what you are talking about.
I do love those darks. The closest thing in oil pastel is a bery dark purpley color Sennelier makes called Bordeaux.

Pat

CJMonty
04-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Colleen, What an absolutely wonderful job you've done of this great fellow. I love the way you have him turned around and the dark background you have.

I have used a couple of Terry Ludwig pastels that I got in sample sets and just love their butteriness. However they are not available here in Australia so in order to get hold of the darks I would have to get them from over there, which I have found is a costly proposition when it comes to adding the postage or at least the postage when posted from an art shop it seems to be very costly. I have the Full set of Rembrandts and the Schminke's which I jsut love but everyone seems to think there are no darks like Terry's.

I have been considering getting the Australian colours of the Art Spectrum range so that when doing Australian landscapes and trees the colours are closer to the real thing.

CJ

LEIGH RUST
04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
This looks like it's going to be a fun little project to do. I love the darks that Colleen has used in her piece and also wish that I could get my hand son some Ludwigs. For now I'll have to stick to my Art Spectrums and Lukas darks. Hoping to get a start on this over the weekend in between dropping of work to art shows and working on other wildlife pastels.

winecountry
04-13-2007, 02:15 AM
thanks for the comments...I used to send stuff to a friend in OZ ( as they called it) as a gift, so no duty etc....maybe you could get one of us to do that...also the Ludwigs are soooo strong, a little goes a long long way, they stain my hands when I use them and have taken to using a glove. I paid 38 US including shipping for 10 direct from Terry. they are very light maybe it would be doable. or you two could split and order..as I said I've gone thru a lot to find darks and nothing matches his except for a blue that Schmichke (sp?) makes that is as rich as his but very hard.

BetsyPriesing
04-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Colleen your tiger has a momentary luminescence feel to it. Quite stunning....that its not detailed in i think adds more to the temporal feeling.
Something I would love to do myself....

marie_d
04-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Colleen, Great tiger. Love the dark background, and the reversed image. Like you I dont know many of the meanings of the initials that are used. Also there is a difference in the language, it took me a week before I realised that 'mat' was a 'mount'.

CJMonty
04-14-2007, 10:30 PM
You start to get used to all the various abbreviations over time, I have been here for nearly a year now and still I stumble on new abbreviations or descriptions of something.

tyree
04-14-2007, 11:51 PM
thanks all for kind comments....betsy..a very powerful work..love the bg...artyscope...a wonderful job ...especially the stripes..!! colleen...what terrific bg colour..and a beautiful job done on his head!!! tyree :clap: :clap:

chrsalg
04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi there every one, i have been coming and looking at this forum site for a while now but have never plucked up the courage to join in. i think every ones art is fantastic, and i think the way people help each other with hints and tips is great. so after reading the posts and seeing this months task, i hope you do not mind if i do join in, many thanks.
christine.

Pat Isaac
04-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Welcome, Christine. :wave: Looking forward to your post.

Pat

artastic
04-15-2007, 12:10 PM
well here is my first pastel CAT
traditionally a watercolorist I m attempting a new medium and having a great time

this is 8x11 on yellow Strathmore Artagrain paper with Derwent SP
any C&C welcomehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2007/104250-tiger.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I like the dark background on this and it looks as if you are taking to pastels quite well.

Pat

wabbitt
04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
artastic - well drawn, nice colors, fantastic details in the face and stripes

CJMonty
04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Bonnie, Well done, the dark background really makes him standout, I find SP are much more user friendly than the water colours although I do still like to play with them too. I hope you continue to enjoy the SP .

Christine, Welcome to WC , you will find everyone here is so friendly and helpful. I look forward to seeing your Tiger when you get him done. Come and join us on our Weekly Scumble too, this is where we just generally chat each week and get to know more about each other and our families. You will find everyone here is so supportive in everything not just in our Art, it is like a big extended family. There is also a thread ' Who Are We ' which was recently started, this is where we can introduce ourselves and tell everyone who we are and what we do accompanied by a picture so we can put faces to names. Again Welcome and I hope you enjoy WC as much as the rest of us.

BetsyPriesing
04-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Artastic Love the face on you tiger, especially around his ear, beautiful fur details around his ear.

marie_d
04-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Hi Christine, looking forward to seeing your tiger. Everyone is very friendly here, I,m a newbie as well.

Artastic - Lovely tiger, great facial detail and fur, like the dark background as well.

vmiller
04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Well I am back home, now, but I haven't been able to do much!
Betsy, here is the value photo of the original
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2007/104840-april_strokes_value.jpg
I have been away caring for my mother, so sorry for not replying sooner.
I absolutely love the background you have done. Your style is so soft and flowing and your highlights on the front and rear flanks are great.
Colleen, I am so impressed with the background in your painting and the beautiful lught and shadow to your tiger. The crop of the photo you have chosen is very dramatic!
Vicki

marie_d
04-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Hi V- Good to see you back again, hope your mother is doing ok.

BetsyPriesing
04-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi Vicki
I guess I didn't clairify i was wondering if you ever do the value study of your painting as you ...paint?

I just started to do that with a chicken im doing right now...i think, that it is going to help me enormously. Yesterday i spent about 3 hours finally breaking:eek: up my new pastels, and then arranging them by value.....thank god for my digital camera! I was amazed at the pastel's that i just got totally wrong!

I redid my tiger painting last week it is more....scruffy and i think i fixed the back leg issues...it was too small.

Betsy:rolleyes:

Pat Isaac
04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Welcome back, Vicki. I hope your Mom is doing okay now.

Pat

winecountry
04-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Great work, love the feel of movement you got.
colleen

tyree
04-18-2007, 05:50 PM
:wave: artastic...terrific work in your new medium...love the bg...and your detail...tyree :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

vmiller
04-18-2007, 09:50 PM
yes Betsy, I do look at the value photo of my painting, particularly, when I know that something is required and am not sure what it is. It is something I learnt recently on the site and it has helped me enormously. It helped immensely in the process of moving my pastels to a new case, when I did do as you have done. I think seeing the values of some colours will take me a while to learn. I can see the value across one colour range, but find comparing different colours for value difficult.

Vicki

CJMonty
04-19-2007, 05:16 AM
Vicki, Hope your Mum is fully recovered now and that you are back on track. Have been at Lectures all day so it has been a LONG day to say the least. Hope to get a start on my own attempt at the tiger early next week.

jmfletch
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, there are lots of nice looking cats so far!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I especailly like the posts by BetsyPriesing and Winecountry, who took the ref and then created a new image. :thumbsup:

I am still trying to learn technique and just getting something that looks liek the original is a challenge!!

Please C&C!

Joe

Edited to add: Seeing it on screen I can see the back leg needs soem more work.

CJMonty
04-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Joe, This looks fantastic, you have done a particularly great job of his mouth.

Even when I have blown up the picture to an A3 size (42cm by 30cm) the details of my Ref pic are not that detailed.

Well Done :clap: You've also done a great job with the background, as I said in my original post, the background certainly was not at all inspiring. I have been delighted to see what everyone has been able to do with it. Mind you, even though Julie did hers with the wire cage in the background the bright colours certainly made a big difference to it.

Well Guys, we still have nearly two weeks of the month left and as I said I will be having a go at it too, after all I guess that is only fair. I'm also looking forward to see what Leigh does with this pic too, he is fantastic when it comes to wild life paintings. For those of you who have not seen his work you really should feast your eyes on them. Leigh Rust http://wildatart.mosaicglobe.com This is a really must see site which has many links, both to do with Leighs story, his art work, how he works and so much more.

Take Care

Love CJ :heart: :thumbsup:

BetsyPriesing
04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Joe I really like how smooth you have the body...it really shows the muscles and his understructure. I love the greens you choose for the grass also.

thank you...I'm trying....I had a terrible time with the far leg I just settled on sorta making it go away:angel: and making it alittle fatter so it would hold his weight.

I thought i would post my final tiger.
c&c happily accepted.:heart:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2007/103534-pastel_bangel_tiger_final_web.jpg
betsy

jmfletch
04-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Even when I have blown up the picture to an A3 size (42cm by 30cm) the details of my Ref pic are not that detailed.

I cropped the head from the ref and then printed it out 8X10 (20cm by 25.4 cm). That did not provide a lot more detail, per se, but did show basic shapes.

Betsy and CJ - Thanks for the kind words.

Betsy - Beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Joe

chrsalg
04-20-2007, 01:22 PM
hi cj sorry i have not replied my life has been hectic this week, thank you very much for the lovely welcome i will check out all the places you said to go to, and post what i have done so far shortly. once again many thanks just sorry i did not join in ages ago, every one is so friendly.
chris.:wave:

Pat Isaac
04-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Very nice painting, Joe. good color and the face detail is just wonderful. I couldn't see that much either, so I may try the head enlargement.
I just love your background, Betsy. Is that a little water pool I see in the rocks?
Pat

BetsyPriesing
04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
yep Pat, i thought that i would try to do the move your eye around the painting thing....

Betsy

CJMonty
04-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Betsy, I just love your finished Tiger, he looks great, and I especially love what you have done with the Background, it gives it so much more depth.

marie_d
04-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Joe - Lovely softness about your painting, very good detailed face. Good idea that cropping the head and then enlarging it for more detail. I had the same problem couldnt make out where his eye was. Nice stripes, good work.

Betsy - Lovely improvement with the introduction of the rusty/brownish shades in the rocks. You have done well with the back leg, looks great.

freeo
04-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I love all the pictures posted for different reasons. The interpretations of the background from dark and dangerous to the open plains are very interesting. I did this sketch on the first of the month with the intention of completing it later. As I have will not have the time I thought i would post it just to 'be in it'. Hopefully after house building etc i will have more time
Freeo.

BetsyPriesing
04-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Freeo your sketch has a pleasing color palette and the vegitation under your tiger is a great start I hope that you get alittle time to finish before this month closes so we can see it. I hope your house building schedule goes as smoothly as it can possibly get, for "house building" that is!

it is really fun seeing what everyone comes up with....including the caged in feeling we got from some us....now that i look back at the earlier posts their are alot of interesting patterns from the original picture. From cage wires to the stripes on the tiger....

the different settings that are created alluding to the different feelings in each painting. From the benign protecting of the zoo to the simple feelings of freedom in the open space and to the scarey feeling of the unknown, not knowing what he is up to. Who is he following....

:) betsy

Art is soo cool.

LEIGH RUST
04-23-2007, 01:18 AM
I had a terrible time with the far leg I just settled on sorta making it go away:angel: and making it alittle fatter so it would hold his weight.

I thought i would post my final tiger.
c&c happily accepted.:heart:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2007/103534-pastel_bangel_tiger_final_web.jpg
betsy

Hey Betty, this is a great effort. I really like the techniques you've used with the musculature. I'd probably suggest developing the front paw a little bit and adding some violets to the fur for cool/warm interplay but all in all this is a great job.
I love the background too!

pequan
04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
well I finally got this done...however, I will say that I cannot get a good photo of it...to brite....but here she/he be!! I loved every minute of doing this one, thanks so much!! Done on Belgium Mist, Wallis paper with a variety of softies
Pequan/Linda

pequan
04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I just went back and looked and saw that all my comments on all the gorgeous paintings aren't here....I guess I forgot to hit the reply button..
so, here I go again
Betsy: love the rendition-especially the background
Free- kewl colors
Artastic: can't believe this is your first pastel cat... good job
Tryee: wow-love the colors
Wabgitt: nice rendtion-great job on that fence (I was to afraid to try that)
Eirl: is that oil or soft pastels? nice job
I hope I didn't leave anyone out ...
Linda/Pequan
Marie: FABULOUS
Umiller: great start, but I can't find the grande finale!!

Pat Isaac
04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Great job, Pequan. I really like how you handled the fur.

Pat

jmfletch
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
freeo - I am with Betsy, I hope you find the time to finish. You have a really good start.

Pequan - Love how you captured the fur!!

Here is my finished piece. Much happier with the back leg, I think it recedes more now. Also added more greens in the grass.

1/2 sheet of beige Mi-Teintes using Nupastels and CarbOthello Pencils.

Thanks to all for the kind and encouraging words.
Joe

Pat Isaac
04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Great finish, Joe. I really like the grass area behind the tiger and his face is just roaring.

Pat

CJMonty
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Linda., I love the way he looks so soft a fluffy, how did you mange to achieve that?

I have just made a start on mine this morning.

Jo, Yes the back leg does look a lot better.

LEIGH RUST
04-24-2007, 01:22 AM
well I finally got this done...however, I will say that I cannot get a good photo of it...to brite....but here she/he be!! I loved every minute of doing this one, thanks so much!! Done on Belgium Mist, Wallis paper with a variety of softies
Pequan/Linda

I love the crams you've used in this. it really brings the fur to life. I also like the vibrant background.

CM Neidhofer
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Phew!! Here's mine...almost under the wire! The colors aren't quite as intense as they appear to be here. A very quick piece for me, for a change. Done on dark blue Colourfix with assorted softies, 9 x 12.

Christine

Pat Isaac
04-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Great piece, Christine. I like the effect of open country. Let's see I have a couple more days yet.

Pat

CJMonty
04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Christine he looks so soft and cuddly, I actually started mine on Tuesday but won't be able to work on him again until next tuesday so that will be definitely under the wire.!!!! Maybe I should photograph mine and put in as a WIP initially.

Christine tell me how you got your fur to look so soft and fluffy? Also really love the background you have put in.

pequan
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
thanks for the comments everyone...appreciate them all
Christine: WOW talk about looking like real fur...........I'm going back and fixing mine.....great job!!!
Pequan/Linda

CM Neidhofer
04-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Linda, CJ and Pat. CJ....hmmmm....not all that sure exactly how I made the fur look soft, or real, for that matter. I didn't blend and just let my strokes blend the colors. I started with a red/violet underpainting, then some ochre and beige and orange, making the final strokes in the direction I thought the fur would, or should, go, cutting into the stripes to look uneven. Hope that's a good enough explanation cuz it's all I can think of!! :o

Christine

Pat Isaac
04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, here I am slipping in under the wire. This was interesting to do as it is the first animal I have ever done. Always good to expand your horizons.
oil pastel on dark brown colorix, 10 x 13. C&C always welcome.
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2007/35760-April_PS.jpg

chrsalg
04-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi every one, i have finally finished my tiger, i must say i found it really hard to do, i find i can get a more realistic picture with the animal up close, i also used pastel paper that i don't usually use, (the sandpaper kind) where i like to use velour. i must also say every one elses art is fantastic, all lovely fibrant colours, and so many different styles, so really good work every one. i now post mine please feel free to c and c.
christine

chrsalg
04-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi again i cannot put my picture on this i do not know to can any one help.
many thanks
christine.

chrsalg
04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2007/92313-nicky_004.JPG

Hi again :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
panic over i managed to do.

christine.:clap

winecountry
04-28-2007, 01:18 AM
wonderful and so strong...amazing maybe you should do more animals!
Colleen

chrsalg
04-28-2007, 04:39 AM
Many thanks colleen i mainly draw the domestic cat but it is usually the head, and a wee bit of the body, but drawing the tiger was a challenge that i very much enjoyed.
christine.

Pat Isaac
04-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Very nice, Christine. Nice soft colors and I like the background color.

Pat

CJMonty
04-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Good job Christine. I had better photograph mine and put it in as a late WIP seeing as I am the host for this month. I'm afraid I won't have an opportunity before Tuesday to work on him again.:(

CJ:heart:

pequan
04-28-2007, 04:11 PM
gorgeous cat.....love the look of the oil pastel Pat...you did a fabulous job...bet you can't wait to do your next animal...

nice work Christine....great motion on your cat!
Pequan/Linda

Pat Isaac
04-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, Linda....guess what??? I can wait, but it was good to do. thanks for your comments.

Pat

sparkling
04-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Beautiful paintings everybody, I am impressed by your works.:thumbsup::clap:

:) Silvia

CJMonty
05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
OK Guys, I have really enjoyed hosting the April Pastel Strokes, and as promised here is my atempt at the project too.

This is on Art Spectrum Dark Green with Rembrandt's and Schminke's, A3 size. It is the first time I have tried to do a Furry Animal and only the 2nd time I have ver done any sort of Animal at all.

Well the actual pic will have to wait until the morning as Monty as sleeping and I can't access my photo's for the moment. SORRY but it will be coming. :(:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
05-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Tap....tap.....tap......waiting....CJ...:lol:

Pat

CJMonty
05-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Good morning everyone,

Well let's have another go at putting this pic on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/85215-P1020725_Small.JPG

Thanks for looking. I'm afraid getting him fluffy eluded me.

Pat Isaac
05-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Great color, CJ and he looks fluffy enough for me.

Pat