PDA

View Full Version : Lagoon

jan409
03-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I still have a few details to work out on, I have never worked with thalo blue before. It is strong. It came out real bright. I don't know about it yet. I know I had fun, but need some input. Janhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2007/63545-Lagoon.jpg

meganj
03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
that is a cute painting. Your horizon looks a bit angled though. I'm wondering if it's because the picture itself isn't quite straight. You could try neutralizing some of the blue with an opposite color.

Katie D
03-30-2007, 08:52 PM
This looks great except it needs some sun! It looks like a big cloud went over, so maybe if you put the sun in, or bathed some things in a warm glow you'd find it would compliment the blue and take away some of it's power. Love the composition!

Linee
03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
This is very pretty. Nice cloud formation. The palms look great. I like the way the red roofs capture the eye.

jan409
03-30-2007, 10:30 PM
thank you all. I do need some sun, I have work to do on it that is why I put it on so I can get some advice on what to do next. I will take all advice in my completion of the painting. Jan

idcrisis55
03-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Looks like a great day at the beach and wish I was there to enjoy it. I like your painting and you have received some good suggestions. That pthalo blue is soooo strong. I use just a touch of it and mix it with ultramarine to tone it down or its complement to gray it. One thing I noticed was that the buildings are pretty centered. Maybe in the next composition, if you do another, the buildings could be put either to the left or right of center a bit more. Just a thought. :)

paulavanzanten
03-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi Jan, the blue lagoon :) I wouldn't change too much about it; I quite like it as it is! The format is nice too. Do experiment some more with the phtalo blue in other paintings though. You are right it's pretty bright and you don't need much of it. I live in the Caribbean and use the phtalo all the time because I think it fits the environment. You can achieve many different shades with it though. If you apply it more or less straight out of the tube it's really dark. Contrary to what others say about the blue getting lighter towards the horizon, overhere I often see a dark blue at the horizon on real clear days. So towards the horizon I often use almost unmixed phtalo.. towards the shore however, where the water becomes more shallow, I blend in much more white and naples yellow which results in darker and lighter aquamarine colours. Nearest to the shore there is hardly any blue left and the water looks almost transparent. I like your large cloud formation; I see that a lot overhere. I use this blue in "my" skies as well, not too much though and mixed with just a bit of black, ocre and sometimes a bit of green or cadmium but with all just a tiny bit and lots of white... For me the sky, in general, being lighter than the ocean. :thumbsup:

dreamz
03-31-2007, 02:49 AM
I like it overall but I do agree that the houses look to centered. I would also add some clouds in the corners, maybe just some small whisps, they also seem a little to centered

jan409
03-31-2007, 03:31 AM
Thank you all. I will take all advice. Jan