PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork

purplepansey
03-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I generally paint with oils as I find acrylics and watercolor more challenging. I bought one of those acrylic paper pads to use for practice. I'm sorry I did because I found it most difficult to paint on. Won't mention the brand. :evil:

Anyway here is a still life I did and I was inspired by a class on watercolor using a roll of toilet tissue. I liked the idea so made my own set up and used my acrylics to practice with. 9 x 12

Any and all comments appreciated, and most of all ADVICE on how to handle acrylics so they don't dry out while I paint. :angel: Thanks
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2007/52562-PAPERWORK.jpg

idylbrush
03-30-2007, 02:19 PM
keep a spritzer bottle of water to keep things moist. It helps. Make a stawet style palette with a plastic container a sheet of sponge and some freezer paper. That will help.

Oh, and work fast. (insert big smile here)

jan409
03-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Acrylics are going to dry out fast, there are gel mixtures that you can use to prolong the drying. I have learned to dry brush blend. Also you can spray water on the canvas to make the paint stay hydrated. I don't like to paint on paper, I use canvas.

paintbrush1974
03-30-2007, 03:06 PM
i saw in a dvd this guy using a sponge in his hand as he painted... and looked like he was taking colour off it!...good idea.

this was not what i imagined from the title...love the folds in the paper.

karen

Lady Carol
03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
You did very well. The lighting is nice almost makes a mundane subject quite romantic (if dunny paper can be romantic). :D

purplepansey
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Thank you Howard and Jan, will do what you suggest to avoid drying too fast.

purplepansey
03-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Thank you Karen and Carol for your comments, appreciate.

dreamz
03-30-2007, 04:03 PM
interesting composition:thumbsup:

JamieWG
03-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Purple. There is a liquid drying retarder you can buy. I add some of that to a spray bottle of filtered water, and use that to mist the paints from time to time. Also, instead of the paper pads for acrylic, try a watercolor block. Paper is a fabulous support for acrylic. You can put a coat of gesso on it if you like it less absorbant. I like the colors in your painting. Some shadows would help ground the objects and create more contrast. Acrylics are so much fun, aren't they!

Jamie

purplepansey
03-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks Jaime, I will try that putting the retarder in a spray bottle, sounds like a good idea.
I will also put more shadows in the painting and thanks for your comments.

dspinks
03-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Also, if you can't affort stretched canvas, you can buy canvas in pre-cut, primed sheets. This is not the same as the acrylic paper you already used, but real canvas set into a pad format. Fredrix is the brand I am familiar with. It's great for doing studies and texture testing, and you can cut the sheets to small sizes for experimenting.

Debra

purplepansey
03-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Debra, thanks for reminding me, I've had those Fredrix canvas pads in the long ago past and had forgotten about them. Must order those next time from Dick Blick! :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
03-31-2007, 12:47 PM
For being new to acrylics Purple, you've done extremely well ...... you'll soon find you'll work with the limitations of the medium rather than against them!

There's a 'Tips' thread in the INFORMATION KIOSK (sub forum, top of main forum page) which has lots of good advice for acrylics - palettes, brushes etc etc.

purplepansey
04-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Maureen, thanks so much for the tip location on the Information Kiosk will check it out. Again, thanks I need all the help I can get to use acyrlics.

C_Line
04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Purple! - well done - I'd have never thought to paint this subject and you did it beautifully. Once you get the hang of the tips - like the spritzer bottle, sta-wet pallette, etc., I think you'll really enjoy acrylics.