PDA

View Full Version : Another Micro acrylic---after Van Gogh's Starry Night

JamieWG
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Here's another itty bitty rendition from me.....Painting is 1x1.25", acrylic on 100% rag bristol board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2007/13766-Starry_Night_with_quarter_400.jpg

I lightened it a little so you can see it better. I'm having such a good time with these. I need smaller brushes.

Jamie

Jon
03-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Another small gem...do you use a magnifying glass to see the paint surface?

idcrisis55
03-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Your painting is so vibrant and as Jon said, a gem!

JamieWG
03-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks so much, Jon and Ann.

Jon, I have a wonderful magnifying lamp in my studio that I bought at Staples for about $20. Instead of using a regular incandescent bulb in it, I use one of those new flourescent types, which gives a more neutral light. I use the attached magnifier as I reach the end of the painting process, for the fine detail and line work. My reading glasses seem to do the job until I get to those last stages.

Jamie

hoofty
03-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Wow this is really tiny..... Years ago I use to paint eggs, and I found that "eyeliner brushes" work great for very tiny detail. So if you have friends or grand daughters who use make up and use the eyeliner with the brush, ask them to save the brush for you. It is very very fine, and nice quality.

aszurblue
03-30-2007, 11:51 AM
This is totaly a ingageing mini painting!! Love it! Azure

Lady Carol
03-30-2007, 12:17 PM
How long does a little one take to do?

You certainly have given Van Gogh a whole new dimension with paintings this small. You have captured the painting very well.

JamieWG
03-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks, Hoofty! I'll take a look at eyeliner brushes, but I think they are much thicker than what I'm already using, which is a size 20/0!

Azure, I'm so glad you like it! Thanks very much.

Carol, they vary a lot. I'd say they take 1-2 hours on the average for the actual painting process, then time to frame etc.

Today I added the hanging hardware and thread for this one and it looks so wonderful with all its trimmings! Also, the little gold boxes arrived that I'll use to send them in. I'm pleased with the way the whole little package turned out. Here's how it looks now (greatly enlarged), nestled inside its gold box (outside is gold patterned foil), again with a quarter for size reference.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2007/13766-Starry_Night_box_hanger_quarter_500.jpg

Jamie

Jon
03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks so much, Jon and Ann.

Jon, I have a wonderful magnifying lamp in my studio that I bought at Staples for about $20. Instead of using a regular incandescent bulb in it, I use one of those new flourescent types, which gives a more neutral light. I use the attached magnifier as I reach the end of the painting process, for the fine detail and line work. My reading glasses seem to do the job until I get to those last stages.

JamieThanks, I was curious.

Linee
03-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I really like this. I don't think I'd have the paitence to do one, myself, but I definitely would buy one! Especially one this pretty! I don't remember if you said that you do jewerly or not. I looked a this and thought, "I'd love to have this as a pin". :)

JamieWG
03-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I really like this. I don't think I'd have the paitence to do one, myself, but I definitely would buy one! Especially one this pretty! I don't remember if you said that you do jewerly or not. I looked a this and thought, "I'd love to have this as a pin". :)

Linda, I do offer them with pin backs too. :) You can see my blog site (http://hudsonvalleypainter.com) for all that info. There is one of a Matisse painting too, posted a few days earlier, so just scroll down to see that one as well.

Jamie

Marge Wms
03-31-2007, 01:50 AM
HI, Jamie, do you post these in the mini forum too?

This is grand! This is so vibrant and exciting.. Gigi

chammi kaiser
03-31-2007, 04:37 AM
I am impressed. Just cannot imagine painting anything that small and still achieving such excellent detail. Super.

rassilier
03-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Absolutely wonderful. I really like the framing as well. Congratulations. :clap:

Charlie's Mum
03-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Remember when you started us off on minis Jamie - about 3x the size of this?

This really is a little gem - you've captured VG's Starry Night so well .. bet the neck and back were aching :D

Those tiny frames must take some making too .... very impressive :D

JamieWG
03-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Gigi, yes, I have posted them in the mini forum as well. :)

Chammi, I think it takes awhile to get used to the scale, and of course you need the tiny brushes. But once you get adjusted, it's quite hard to stop! ;)

Rassilier, thanks so much. Another artist gave me two frames. Now I'm looking into having a framer make some for me. I'm awaiting samples to choose from. Can't wait till those are done so I can do some more!

Maureen, it's hard to believe how small these are without seeing them in person. You could fit six on an ACEO! Yes, I remember well that Miniature Madness class here! I had a blast. You know what a media junkie I am and I have to say, I haven't found a better medium than acrylic for painting miniatures. I think it's ideal.

Jamie

purplepansey
03-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Fantastic is all I can say about this little miniature, it is so well done, makes me want to get back and do mini's again.

JamieWG
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks so much, Purple. I hope you do pull out those teeny tiny brushes again!

Jamie