PDA

View Full Version : Sports Squids - gouache

meglyman
03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I get the feeling that my muse is a bit weird - the cityscape and birds I posted here in the past weeks are the most "normal" things I've done. Recently, my odd muse struck again, in the following form: Squids! Shaped like sports equipment!

Er... anyway, I'm a slave to my muse, so here's the first: the Football Squid.

This scan is horrible - if I make the squid look right, the blues are atrocious. Regardless, please let me know what works and what doesn't. I had a rough time with the gouache on this one, and have concluded that I'll do better in the future texturing things than trying to make them smooth. Case in point: the dark blue around the squid. I don't like it.

C&C requested. Please be harsh!

Thanks!
Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2007/22382-89276-Old_football_squid.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2007/89276-footballsquid_close.jpg

pinkrybns
03-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Meg!
heh heh, that title got me!
You're really going great with the gouache. I think that area of the eye is wonderfully painted ... really, really!
Hmm, I guess I would have thought the squid would have longer tenticles, maybe?
The bg isn't as bad as maybe you think...this could be an area to try that crosshatching technique or just a one directional hatching stroke. You have to be light and quick though with gouache, so not to mess up your initial layer.
If the squid is supposed to be casting a shadow, then you have to make that more evident, I think. Right now there does seem to be too much of the same value of blue circling around the squid creating a sort of halo effect...maybe not what you want or what's bothering you. Not sure where the light source would be right now... if you want one you have to define one, even in something that doesn't really exist. Am I making any sense .. it's late here so might not be!
I still like this "squidy" though.

:wave:
Judy

meglyman
03-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Judy,

Thanks for replying so quickly! I was sitting here staring at the post, thinking how much I hated the background... and when I saw your suggestion about trying the hatching, I decided to try it. And now the background looks way better.

This one's tentacles aren't very long, since he's modeled after the vampire squid. Also, I wanted to make it "cute."

THANKS!

Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2007/89276-meglyman_footballsquid.jpg

Old Tex
03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh! Well! A Vampire Squid. Well, that makes all the difference in the world! God, I hope you intent was to produce a smile, because first I read your comments and then I scrolled down. Was already smiling before I got to the image, wondering what you and your "wierd muse" were up to now. Then a big chuckle when the image came into view. Cute you accomplished, because my wife was looking over my shoulder and said, literally, "How cute!". This is priceless, Meg. And very well done! Not only the eye, but the detailing overall is great. There's nothing to be harsh about here. I love it!!

meglyman
03-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Ralph, I sense that you are being sarcastic about the noble Class Cephalopoda. Lest you be smote by the 8-tentacled gods, I will educate you about Vampyroteuthis with this lovely photograph:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2007/89276-vampire.jpg
(why yes, I am a very big nerd)

I really don't know what my intent was, but a smile is an excellent outcome. Thanks for the compliments. Apparently WetCanvas updated the original image when I tried to post the update, so you didn't get to see the very ugly background that I had before. My execution of Judy's suggestion made a tremendous difference in overall quality - and I didn't change the squid at all. A great lesson for me on the importance of backgrounds.

Thanks again!
Meg

pinkrybns
03-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Apparently WetCanvas updated the original image when I tried to post the update, so you didn't get to see the very ugly background that I had before. Hey Meg,

I was wondering about that, because I couldn't see the difference! What happened is you probably titled the file of the new version the same as the original or so similar that WC! replaced both images with the newer version. If you want to, send me a PM with the original version of the image (before the bg change) and make sure to give it a title very different than the second version and I'll go replace it in your first post. Then we all won't think we're going bonkers (even if we really are! :D ).

Wow! thanks for showing the pic of the real Vampire Squid... very interesting creature.

Judy

Old Tex
03-31-2007, 09:37 AM
What an amazing creature. And you nailed it. I had no doubt, and yes, I was having a little fun. Glad you took it that way. I really like the painting.

meglyman
03-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm really glad you like it, because I do too - and I think it is showing improvement in my gouaching. The learning process is really a ton of fun.

Judy, I sent you a PM with the old file - thanks!

Meg

dbclemons
03-31-2007, 11:58 AM
I love it! I wouldn't want to try to catch it, however. I'd expect it to be too slippery.:p

meglyman
04-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Good point, David. It does have bumps to help with traction, though. :D

FaeLynn
04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Meg :-)
Oh yeah!! Gotta love them cephalopods :-)
I do like the squid! Such a good sport! :-) I might be tempted to throw a little coral or maybe sea kelp in the background... even sand or starfish.
(Hey, you said to be harsh, I racked my brain!) The squid is adorable! I like the eye.
C-pods rock!
~Fae Lynn

meglyman
04-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Fae Lynn,

Thanks for looking! Good tip about the background. The vampyroteuthis is a deep-sea squid, so I wasn't sure what to put in the background. For the next one, I'll definitely do some sand or something to indicate environment.

Yes, there will be more. I'm thinking soccer next...