PDA

View Full Version : Contest Assistance Requested

C_Line
03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking about submitting one, maybe two paintings to the "Paint the Parks" contest (probably just one though). First, since the deadline's coming up pretty soon, I thought about submitting one of the paintings I've already recently completed. They have to be based on a US National Park. I may do something entirely different, but just in case, I wondered if you guys could rate which two you think are best in order? Also, if you have some other suggestions, I'm all ears! I've never participated in such a contest and would like the opportunity.

#1 = Arches National Park, Utah (12" x 24")
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2007/94054-arches.jpg

#2 "The General" from Sequoia National Park, California (16" x 20")
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2007/94054-general.jpg

#3 "Fallen Giant" - Sequoia National Park, California (16" x 20")
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2007/94054-fallen.jpg

Charlie's Mum
03-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Well, I thought I'd vote before reading the comments .... looks like I'm first though! :D

I like the feeling of heat in #1 and I imagine Utah to be like that!

.... and I like the play of light in #2.

I like the subtlety of #3, but the little figure doesn't stand out well enough to emphasise the sense of size in the tree - the 'giant' :D

C_Line
03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks Maureen - looks like I listed them in the order you like best?

Dueck
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I love the forested lighting in "The General" and "Fallen Giant", but I'd say your panorama takes the cake. It really gives me the feeling of open grandeur in the scorched badlands, like around Drumheller in these parts.

They're all fantastic. :cool:

Linee
03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
#'s 1 and 2 were a close tie for me. I went with 1. I've never seen the giant redwoods. Thanks for sharing your picture, almost makes me feel like I'm there. :)

timelady
03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I think 1 is by far the strongest. I also like three but there's a brown curved vertical shape coming up from the tree by the middle and I can't figure out what it is? It's very distracting to me. I like the little person. :) If he isn't strong enough you could just darken his shadows a bit if need be.

Tina.

C_Line
03-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks Dueck & Linda - for comments and votes. If you can, make it a goal to see the Sequoias. When I fulfilled my dream to see them over 15 years ago I got a 2 in 1 first: Saw actual MOUNTAINS & the LARGEST trees on earth - and very old to boot. They only start growing up around 4,000' (I had no idea we'd be going up so high) and I believe can only be seen now in Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite...I might be wrong about that, but point is, they're VERY rare! Not the tallest trees on earth, but definitely the largest. The "General Sherman" is THE largest at nearly 40' in diameter several feet above it's base. Being in the midst of these giants is ethereal.

C_Line
03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi Tina - thanks - that vertical shape is a dead branch "stump" from the fallen tree - I started that painting early last year and finished at the end of the year. It was before I joined WC & really understood creative interpretation of photographs for the benefit of composition (not that I fully understand it now, but I've improved). That's me on the fallen giant and it was an eery experience to climb up on such a HUGE tree - in fact, I didn't stay up there long! They want you to really experience all the surroundings but take nothing. Somehow looking back, I feel like I shouldn't have "trampled" on something so magnificent...okay, I'm rambling, enough already!

Lady Carol
03-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I voted for the general. It is different from what I think others will submit. I do like the Utah painting but it is more run of the mill.

C_Line
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks Carol - that's what makes this SO hard! I think Arches is painted better, but the General is rather unique I think. Hopefully this poll will help me make a good decision.

jan409
03-29-2007, 02:43 PM
It was between 1 and 2. I went with 2 Those trees are so breath taking and the boy looking up seems to be awe struck even though you can't see his face. Body language sujests his feelings. It also is so cool and shadey a good place to spend the afternoon. Good vacation for a family. Jan

dreamz
03-29-2007, 03:41 PM
nothing wrong with the first one but I vote for The General and Fallen Giant

pinups
03-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi,
I went with number one as I thought it was the strongest image. #2 I am sorry but I can't get my mind around the fact that the two boys / men look like they stopped to go pee. Or is it just me? Other then that I like them.

C_Line
03-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Les - funny, you're the second person who had that impression (although the first one pm'd me that impression). Ever since, that thought's stuck in my mind! unfortunately the reference photo showed the individuals facing the tree - as anyone who's been in it's presence wouldn't be looking at anything else. My photo also showed a larger group of people standing closest to us but I decided to just show one contemplating the tree. I suppose I could have set them off to the side showing a 3/4 view - just very difficult for me to conceptualize, compose, etc. SO...I sure don't want such a negative impression.

Stray Bullet
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
No 2. is best, IMO.

paulavanzanten
03-29-2007, 07:48 PM
I'd vote for 3 and then 2. In 2 I would take the smaller person with the red shirt out ... not sure about the sign. I'll attach a picture of what it would look like without these two. Good luck in the contest!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2007/71372-94054-general.jpg

idcrisis55
03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
My vote goes to No. 2 and 3. To me they show of what you can do as an artist. :)

NDee
03-29-2007, 09:00 PM
I voted for Arches. I think that visually it will be the most appealing to most people. My 2 cents!

Margaret 59
03-29-2007, 10:28 PM
2 and 3 are my favourites, Celeste, because I'm a tree person.

pinups
03-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Celeste,
glad to be of help...I think lol. I am in the military and tend to be rather direct. I don't like to beat around the bush so if someone asks for an opinion and I think I have something constructive then I will gladly help out. I agree with Paula though on that it would look stronger without the distant fellow and the sign in the foreground. I didn't want to be too critical as you were trying to make up your mind as to which one you would enter in the contest. I thought that from the male perspective though that the first thing that jumped to my attention was what I perceived them to be doing rather then as a composition choice. I understand what you mean about putting them in the painting with a slight profile view, but in something like this though I think its better to not identify the person portrayed as it could then be anyone in the painting and not a specific person. Good luck in the contest.

rmc
03-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Gosh, Celeste, it has been a treat to see all of these in one place - you are so talented -girl! Send at least two - The problem is I love all of them - you have captured light and the texxture of the seqouias so well - all I can say is best of luck:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

C_Line
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
thanks everyone for the votes and thoughts. Paula - thanks for the editing - that's wonderful. I've never been completely happy with the rendering of the most distant man - only used that as a scale reference - but didn't quite translate effectively. The sign is there in person, but doesn't have to be in the painting except to help identify what you're looking at - but I guess the title does that! Les - I appreciate your directness - no problem there and your input. It really helped me readdress a nagging issue. thanks again everyone!

mollynix
03-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Fallen Giant!

ms.jennamarie
03-31-2007, 08:55 PM
I voted for the general. It is different from what I think others will submit. I do like the Utah painting but it is more run of the mill.
i definitly agree. the light on the ground in front of the tree caught my eye right away. that's why i voted for the general

Andun
03-31-2007, 09:03 PM
They are all winners with me Celeste but I picked the General for the feel.:)

C_Line
04-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone - The General's my husband's vote too.

Andun
04-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Great minds.....

C_Line
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks Tony. Things usually turn out best when I listen to Rob - after all he's the one who suggested I paint Dalmation - and look where that ended up on WC?!

Andun
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
He's a smart guy:)

C_Line
04-05-2007, 12:30 AM
You can say that again! Plus he's my #1 advocate!!!

Wojdo
04-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi Celeste,

I like the first one but I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I could be wrong but I think that art for the parks is no longer going on.

C_Line
04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks Joe - hopefully we're not thinking of the same contest - and for anyone interested in participating, here's the link:

http://www.paintamerica.org/painttheparks.html

Jabberwockie
04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
My favorite is the first one. It has such bright, rich colors. It reminds me of David Hockney's Grand Canyon painting(s).

idcrisis55
04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for sharing that link, Celeste. It is great to know they are continuing the tradition of Art in the Park. I enjoyed seeing all of the paintings and went through them a couple of times. :) Wishing you much success and hope you get chosen for the Top 100.