PDA

View Full Version : etching reduced glass

JetAge Studio
03-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi, I know someone out there will just say...."try it", but I was wondering if any of you have chemically etched (dip-n-etch type stuff) glass that has been reduced. I am wondering specifically if the reduction luster is strong enough to withstand the etch. (Dont have the etch stuff yet, so that's why the question :thumbsup: )
Thanks! And if you have picts, would love to see it in action!!
Renee

Plato
03-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Reduction is on the surface and etching removes the surface, so if everything is done as intended, than you can just run in a big circle , but you may achieve the effect you`re looking for if you spend the time playing with the different variables and how they interact.

I see...

Reduction
etching
encasing

Plato

Artwhim
03-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Yep, I've removed that hard worked for luster by etching. And yes, it made me sad. You can however mask off areas that you don't want etched.

J. Cross
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Have you thought about creating patterns on your surface so that selected portions of the finish are all that are affected?
Joan

TheRedhead
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
I've etched beads that have taken off the reduction that I did on it. There is a product out there called etch resist. I bought some but haven't had the opportunity to try it. You place it on spots where you don't want the etch to take off the surface, so that would give you a combo of shiny and matte surfaces on the piece you're etching.

Red

dreambead1
03-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I use nail polish to mask areas that I want to protect. Cheap, and comes off with a swipe of remover when needed. Gina C-P

Tralynjer
03-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I use a small bottle of "Scribbles" 3D fabric paint I bought at Michael's Crafts as a resist, it works great. I had tried Elmer's glue before but the fabric paint is thicker and doesn't spread as much. Plus the tip is small and makes it so much easier to apply to small areas. It peels off easy and the bright color helps me see exactly where it is.

steph1214
04-23-2007, 10:56 PM
if you use the resist do you apply it with a tiny paint brush? do you let it dry before you put it in the etch?

steph in cincinnati