PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned

Old Tex
03-27-2007, 12:01 AM
I hope I'm not posting too much, but I'm having a lot of fun, and just figured I'd share what I'm doing. Did this one tonight. Just started slinging paint, and after about an hour and a half, this is what I ended up with.

Comments, as always, are welcome.

Gouache 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2007/100938-Abandoned.jpg

meglyman
03-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Interesting. You do such a great job with leaves & foliage! Are those grain bins?
Meg

Old Tex
03-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Quick reply here, Meg, because I should be working. I think that's what those are. This was another one of thos 70mph road shots, so I'm not sure.
Thanks!

friesin
03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
That's the best one of yours I' ve seen so far !

Luminous and loose, really my great compliments !!!!

Old Tex
03-27-2007, 01:22 PM
friesin, thank you so much! This is all a learning process for me, and hopefully I'll gain some kind of consistency eventually. Thanks for looking, and for your comments!

meglyman
03-28-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree with friesin about the looseness, which makes it really dynamic and alive! And I don't mean that I could tell you were speeding by as you took the ref photo. ;) That in itself is an amazing feat.

Meg

Old Tex
03-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks!

On the highway, you've got to have a driver, and you've got to have the camera ready to shoot. Kills the battery, but it's kind of fun. Here's the reference photo, and the part I used. I actually got two shots, so you may see these grain bins again. Problem is, I didn't want to try all those leafless tree branches yet, so I sort of changed the time of year. Didn't do a great job of faking the trees, but I was working pretty fast.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2007/100938-DSC03218_at_500.jpg

meglyman
03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Holy cow, that's awesome! You recoginzed the potential of an ugly set of abandoned farm buildings in just a few seconds, took the shot (fairly ugly in itself, hope you don't mind me saying so), and cropped it for a great composition. Then you took out the pole and made up all the greenery, and the end result is a great painting.

Teaches me that I don't need a good ref photo, just a good eye. Thanks very much for the lesson!

Meg

Old Tex
03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Do NOT try this without a driver, please. I don't want to read about some crazy lady who wrecked on a highway trying to take a picture! :o)

I just watch for telltale clumps of trees. I raise the camera a lot without ever taking a shot. Also, a line of trees will often indicate a creek or interesting gully, but was never quick enough to catch one of those. Never really know if I got anything interesting until I get home. On that trip, I probably got maybe 8 usable shots out of over 80.

By the way, check your private messages. Up at the top, on the right.

Dueck
04-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I really like your use of artistic lisence. Your depiction is so incredibly engaging. :cool:
This thread's going in my favourites...

Old Tex
04-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Thank you, Dueck! A piano teacher! Cool! I have a Yamaha keyboard that I set up occasionally and noodle a little blues (a lot of right hand improv with left hand chords... not very good, but I have fun with it). I envy you that talent. Keep coming back. Meg and I are both learning from each other here, and we generally post something a couple of times a week.

Dueck
04-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Neat, Ralph! Sounds like you are very multi-faceted!
I'll keep checking back... I was about to start gouache, after looking at some of the work that's been posted in this forum, but then I went to the local art outlet and looked at the price of Grumbaucher gouache, which is the only one they sell...

RedEquus
04-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Great job of slinging paint! How your found the place and cropped your photo to make it a very engaging colorful painting is an inspiration to me. So off I go to look at photographs.

Janice

Old Tex
04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Dueck, I do understand about the cost. Up until about a week ago, I was using a cheap set of gouache colors that I bought for another purpose. I finally bit the bullet and bought several tubes of Windsor & Newton, then went home and felt guilty about spending the money. In the future, I'll buy one tube at a time. Since I work small, I can make it stretch a bit.

Janice, thank you! Sometimes you don't know what's in a photo until you get it up to a larger size and start sliding it around on the screen. Lots of cool images hidden in the big picture.