PDA

View Full Version : Sennelier D'artigny in Canada?

ElleZee
03-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Anyone know of a Canadian supplier for this fixative? I'd like to try it. I tried ordering from Blick, but it is a hazardous product and they cannot ship it into Canada.

LJW
03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi Lori. I haven't seen it and trying to find it via google and the Canadian art stores on-line that I use came up empty. Sorry. If you find it, let us know as I would be interested in trying it too. Jane

Pat Isaac
03-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I also tried a web search and came up blank..

Pat

LJW
03-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Lori, I was in Ottawa today and I was able to buy the Sennelier D'artigny fixative for OPs at the Loomis Art Store. I re-checked the website and it doesn't appear on it. But I should note that I can buy Holbein Artist OPs at the local store but not Senneliers, while on the website it is exactly the opposite. I don't know why this is the case. You might give a call to them at the number listed on the website 1-800-363-0318 to inquire whether they would send you some. I think the mail order operates out of Montreal, but they do have stores in Vancouver and Ontario as well. Let us know how you get on. Jane

Leo1903
03-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Although I havenít bought the Sennelier fixative as yet, Iíve seen it on the shelf at my local Loomis store in Toronto as well. You might try going to their website and see if you can order it through them.

http://www.loomisartstore.com/

ElleZee
03-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Awesome! Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted to my results.

I called Dakota Art Pastels yesterday (Dick Blick says, when I try to place my order, that they won't ship it to Canada.....hazardous product) and a wonderful man was telling me about the new Sennelier and that it has just arrived from overseas and they are expecting it any day but noone has it on their shelf yet. He also mentioned the Caran d'arch product and told me of an artist in New Mexico (I think, he told me about quite a few :lol: ) who REALLY likes that product. He said it is made with synthetic oil as the base and so are their pastels. I asked about how the synthetic product would do with non-synthetic and he didn't think there would be any issues. It is specifically for op's as well. He also spoke about a couple artists from Washington that work only in OP's and sell their work like oil paintings. I guess this means no glass? So they must use some type of clear coat.

I also called my art store here and have them checking into how much and how long and if they can get a hold of it.

I will definately try Loomis today, too. :D

I have no idea how this will work, but I'd like to give it a try. I am starting to use the canvas and it'd be really nice to not have to frame it or to, at least, elimiate the glass.

pati123
04-12-2007, 01:32 PM
hi

is it hazardous because of it's aerosol can? here in the us it's also hard to find but i got it from jerry's artarama and there's no warning on the can.

pati123

pati123
04-12-2007, 01:39 PM
hi blu ize,

robert doak makes a substance that cn be brushed or poured over a picture that's a substitute. his phone# is 718-237-1210.

pati123

pati123
04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
i don't get this site. i tried to edit and it went through wrong anyway. for blu ize: the substance that robert doak makes is a substitute for glass. i ordered a litre and will report back. before sealing ops, they're supposed to be allowed to dry out as much as they can, which is about 6 months. rg ops dry faster.

pati123
susan

ElleZee
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Just to let anyone in Canada know that might be interested, I purchased this product from the Loomis in Montreal. I received great service and would definately purchase from them again! It is the Sennelier OP fixative new product. I have used it on a couple op paintings so far and I LOVE it!!! It does, however, give quite a shine to the painting, but it definately is protecting it. I would recommend keeping the coatings light and doing more. I did one thick coat on a painting and it was still tacky after a day. Otherwise, with light coats (3-4 coats) I find it to be a nice dry finish, just a bit glossy.

AngelaF
10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Lori, do you find it strong enough that you don't need glass? Are you putting a ground on your canvases before doing OP? This subject is often discussed, but understanding what really works, if anything, seems elusive. Do you use Sennelier OP? How ling had your painting dried before you fixed?

Susan, looking forward to your information about the Robert Doak product, also. Angela

ColorMyWorld
10-14-2007, 11:04 PM
He also spoke about a couple artists from Washington that work only in OP's and sell their work like oil paintings. I guess this means no glass? So they must use some type of clear coat.
I have no idea how this will work, but I'd like to give it a try. I am starting to use the canvas and it'd be really nice to not have to frame it or to, at least, elimiate the glass.

One of the Washington artists that he was probably talking about was Susan Bennerstrom. If your go to the Oil Pastel Society site and look in the Oil Pastel Primer, Marilynn Brandenburger look classes with her and wrote an article on how they are both framing without glass.
http://www.oilpastelsociety.com/pdfarchives.htm