PDA

View Full Version : Spring Walk

Fagan
04-26-2002, 11:06 AM
I also posted this in the critique section....did not get much response at all! Please critique this painting...I would appreciate the help!

paintergirl
04-26-2002, 11:25 AM
I love the mood in this, feels warm and 'summer-ish' to me, I am sure there is a scent of the flowers on a gentle breeze...Makes me want to go lay under the trees in the background and read a book...
I cant find anything here to critique except maybe the path running horizontal behind the pillars/fence. I am not sure how wide you are wanting this path, but it is just far enough away ( and level) you could probably narrow it slightly, maybe lower your grass line.

This is really superb though, I really enjoyed viewing it so Im sorry, dont have much of a critique to offer!:D

Fagan
04-26-2002, 11:29 AM
paintergirl...thank you for the response! Does this come off more of a summer painting rather than spring? Is it the colors I used? or color saturation? thanks for looking.

paintergirl
04-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Fagan, it feels like the warmest days of spring when you are sure summer is almost here. I love the colors, the trees in bloom, they seem to really add to the mood and temperature of the picture! I meant to mention I liked your shadows too, the cool blue tones set off against the pinkish tones...really effective!I want to lay in your picture...maybe you could add me in at the back by the trees? LOL Beautiful work Fagan!!!

mf.sutton
04-26-2002, 12:11 PM
Fagan, the colours and standard of painting is such that it is outstanding, I love this and the lovely ambience of a warm spring day - Mike:clap: :clap:

Fagan
04-26-2002, 12:26 PM
paintergirl and mfsutton...thank you both for your comments. I have "skinnied" the pathway and extended the tree shadows into the other side of the pathway. I had left it out of the original.

KarenU
04-26-2002, 04:36 PM
Fagan...I think your painting is wonderful! I love the composition and the colors that you've chosen for the path and the walls. I agree with paintergirl that I get the feeling of a warm, late spring day.

The only critique I would have is that my eyes want to wander down the path and into the background, however, they are continuously drawn up to the blooming trees. Don't know why, maybe the colors you've choosen are just a bit too bright or something......

Otherwise, a fabulous painting and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Karen

surreal
04-26-2002, 07:47 PM
How positively Springlike -
I like the colors and pink path.

surreal:)

Caron
04-27-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi there Fagan, lovely acrylic!!! Nice to see you over here...:)
I love this composition! I think the feeling of warmth is coming from the warm reds you have in the wall-at least they appear warm on my monitor. I dont think it is necessarily a bad thing-it is a very inviting painting as Paintergirl has said...lol I think to make it have more a cooler springlike day you would have use cooler shades. The blossom trees are very delicate and beautiful...:) This is definately a Fagan trademark painting...:D

dianashaffner
04-27-2002, 11:23 AM
Hi Fagan,

wonderful painting ... your choice of color gives a very fresh feel to the painting. The flowering trees in spring/early summer have something so positive and hopeful about them ... like a new beginning of something wonderful is right behind that gate. Your painting invites for a slow walk down that path through nature as it just awoke from its winter rest. The fact, that the path behind the gate is horizontal kind of cuts this "wandering around mood" off. The only thing I could suggest is to remove this harsh horizontal path and let the path smoothly curve back into the woods.

Cheers Diana

boo
04-27-2002, 04:40 PM
This is definately spring. Here we have a street with blossom filled trees, just like the ones in your painting.

I like how you have managed to capture the light.

boo

Bendaini
04-29-2002, 12:52 AM
I really think this is beautiful. I like the pink "sunset tint" to the concreet.

Only thing is it is a bit unbalanced. I really think you should just lop off the bottom couple inches to make that fence further down the painting and less centered....

Chelle
04-29-2002, 06:33 AM
This is gorgeous! It "feels" like early spring to me. (It's kind of interesting that, to me, who comes from a very warm climate, it reminds me of early spring, and to Painter Girl, who comes from a much cooler climate, it reminds her of late spring/summer.)

BRIDGES
04-29-2002, 06:20 PM
so you really want critique? it is a nice pleasing painting /subject etc.as most have said here. BUT...My eyes went right to the all white blossoms and they seem to dominate the painting. I know spring trees have lots of white as do my dogwoods here in back but I studied them and they have lots of shadows also on the white and green under each branch. so maybe toning down the white,less blossoms . some would look nice. don't know would have t ry and see why My eyes go there and not through the picture. Bridges