PDA

View Full Version : 3 New Gouaches

Old Tex
03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
These were done as a project in the Landscape Forum. Lots of attempts at some new stuff here: manmade objects, water, etc. There is so much to learn about painting, and boy, did I learn a lot doing these. I can tell that weeping willows and reeds growing out of the water are not going to be my favorite subjects.

Comments, as always, are welcome.
These are all gouache, 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2007/100938-Project_Fall_Tree.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2007/100938-Project_Boat.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2007/100938-Project_Bridge.jpg

pinkrybns
03-26-2007, 11:39 AM
You're doing well with capturing the light in those trees and the overall views in all 3. (Love that tree in the first one).

Something too bright about the rose/pink colors in the bottom on...but that's probably a personal thing (so bascially, nevermind me! lol) The reeds, alas, do look stuck on..but you'll be getting that right soon, I suspect.

Good going on all 3.

Old Tex
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Judy. Every painting presents new challenges, and there's just so darned much to think about and try. It's a lot of fun, but boy, it can be frustrating. I'm still fighting the tightness of drawing as well, but I know it will come along. I really appreciate your comments and your encouragement.

pinkrybns
03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Judy. Every painting presents new challenges, and there's just so darned much to think about and try. It's a lot of fun, but boy, it can be frustrating. I'm still fighting the tightness of drawing as well, but I know it will come along. I really appreciate your comments and your encouragement.What's more challenging is deciphering my typos! :lol:

meglyman
03-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Ralph,

Wonderful little paintings! I know how you feel about having so much to think about and remember while painting. I nearly tear my hair out at least once for each painting. :D

First one - the tree is great and I like the reddish area under it. Composition-wise, you could move the gate a tad more towards center. As usual, the texture of the foliage and sky are excellent.

Second one - I love the colors in this, especially in the water. Don't know if it's good or bad, just a comment, the tree really divides the background into two areas, since its right curve is continued with the yellow foliage.

Third one - love the trees in the background. I can tell you didn't like the willow and reeds as much. ;) I agree with Jody about the bright bridge - maybe doesn't match the lighting of the foliage. Again, the colors in the water are beautiful. The painting reminds me a bit of a Monet.

I would love to sit and watch you paint!
Meg

Old Tex
03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks, Meg. I think all of your comments fall into that category of so much to think about and watch for. I get too engrossed in details and lose sight of the whole composition.

No... you wouldn't. It would be like watching grass grow. But thanks!

meglyman
03-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Yes, I would! :D

Gouache is so versatile - I know how *I* use it, but it's obvious from all the different styles here that other people use it in many different ways. I really like your style and want to see how you make the gouache do that!

Old Tex
03-27-2007, 06:14 PM
I know you paint, in either oils or acrylics. And you're good at it. I use the gouache much like you would use one of those, minus the glazes, of course. But the brush work is very similar, I think. I'm working with a slightly damp flat bristle brush with the paint pretty much straight from the tube. I work a bit wetter in the sky, but it's really just brush strokes rather than washes. I should probably be painting in oils or acrylics, but for now, the gouache works well for my very limited "studio" environment.

pati123
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
the series of cherries are wonderful. as an artist who has used gouache for 25 yrs,, it's exciting to see how you pulled out all the great qualities of this paint. i was going to post my paintings but forgot this is a new computer and they're not on here. they can be seen in the forum "why gouache" i also use casein, gouache, crayon

pati123

DAN197
04-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Hi Ralph, I like all three of your paintings, but I do agree with Judy and Meg about the gate in painting #1 and the bridge and the reeds in painting # 2 But I also know that this is probably due to being a pencil and ink person. It’s hard to make that transition I know because I am doing the same move, only with oils.

Old Tex
04-21-2007, 12:16 AM
It's tough! About every third painting, I'm tempted to hold the brush in my left hand just to quit trying to detail everything! But I just went to your website, and you don't seem to be having any trouble at all. Nice stuff! Thanks for looking, Dan.

PCool
05-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Ralph or to anyone of the forum,

Do you use some kind of final varnish or fixative for your gouache works?

Peg.

meglyman
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Peg,

The only thing I've tried is Claybord-brand spray fixative on gouache pieces on Gessobord, and it works fine. Doesn't change the color or do anything bad that I can see. Haven't had it long enough to see if it yellows.

Meg

Old Tex
05-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Peg,

I don't use anything on mine. Others have tried some things, and if Meg has had a good result, then so far she's been the most successful that I'm aware of. The general opinion seems to be to leave them alone. I've got some rejects I may try the spray fixative on, but I'm not taking any chances with the keepers.

paintchristina
05-16-2007, 01:18 PM
These are all lovely landscape pieces. my favorite is the one in the middle. it has a peaceful and serene feeling that is very appealing to me.

Dale Ziegler
05-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Tex, I really like these little gems. My only comment. #3. I would like to see a little movement in the reflections-- to make it a llttle more "watery"--- especially under the bridge.
So far I've done only still life in guoache. I'll have to try some landscapes.
DALE