PDA

View Full Version : Junco

meglyman
03-24-2007, 03:48 PM
The birds have all gone crazy around here. Makes me want to paint them! Here's a slate-sided junco from my backyard.

Still trying to figure a good balance of washes and opaque. The illo board I'm using sure can handle a lot of abuse & rework.

C&C requested!
Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2007/89276-meglyman_junco_sm.jpg

Old Tex
03-25-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm still working on that balance as well, Meg. I like your use of color here. Letting the branches serve as "dividers" is kind of a cool effect.

I do have to ask: what is the vertical blue stripe? It doesn't seem to fit into the rest of the image.

pinkrybns
03-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Overall, these are pleasing colors, to me anyway. I think if that large purple form in the bg is a distant tree, then perhaps a value or two lower would set it back further and not compete with your foreground. Just a thought.
Junco? How do you pronounce that..phonetically?

meglyman
03-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Ralph and Judy - thanks for the compliments! Judy got it - the purple stripe is a background tree trunk. I posted it in Wildlife and they mentioned that tree's value problem too. I definitely shouldn't have made it so dark, but I didn't even notice until someone said something. Doh! Live and learn...

Ralph - I liked the photo and wanted to paint it because of the branch placement. I fudged a little, but it was fun to do.

Judy, it's pronounced like "junk" with an "o" on the end. Accent on the first syllable. Hope that helps! They're beautiful little birds - dark grey on top and peach underneath.

Meg