PDA

View Full Version : This week in Art Class....

amaranth
03-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey all. Over in Western Michigan U. in Painting 1 we're doing Alla Prima paintings of models. We get two days to paint, and one for touch ups, and we're not allowed to use paint brushes. I've been using a pallette knife, and I'm having a blast! It's a lot like spreading butter, if the butter was a little runny and full of pigment.

What are you all doing in class this week?

dreamingtree
03-24-2007, 01:32 AM
You can't use paint brushes the whole semester or just for this first painting? I understand taking a different approach but for a painting I class I think there should be fundamentals as well. Maybe that is just the painting gospel according to David though, I don't know. I'm glad you are having fun with it, though.

For my Illustration class this week, the guys are supposed to take a Wizard of Oz theme and put together an Illustration that would be girly, something you might see in a teenage magazine or appeal to that kind of audience. The girls in the class were supposed to take the Wizard of Oz theme and make a tattoo that a Harley Biker dude would like. The assignment was geared to take us out of our comfort zone and make us do something that we don't normally do. I went for a Paris Hilton as Dorothy with her little Chihuahua as Toto on the yellow brick road with emerald city in the background. I'm still working on it but I have my comp worked up. Pretty fun.

dreamingtree
03-24-2007, 01:32 AM
I actually hope we get more people responding on this thread, because I think it is interesting to hear what other people are doing in their classes. So, if you are lurking don't be afraid to speak up.

Anuran
03-26-2007, 02:04 PM
My 3D design professor is crazy about foam and we needed to design a 5 stage metamorphosis from an organic form to a machine or geometric from out of blocks of foam. I am working from a hand into a handgun. We will only actually carve three of the steps. They will be sealed, primed, spackeled smooth and painted. This will be our 5th project in foam.
2D- I am painting a sort of collaged design clipped from a sketch I made of a butterfly wing. I am allowed three colors adjacent to each other on the color wheel which I am allowed to alter by tinting or shading.
Drawing- We are just starting to work on drawing the figure.
Illustration- I am working on a 5 panel sequence of my own design. I consistently pass the same shoeless, blanket-covered homeless man everyday on my way to school. The other day he was gone and I haven't seen him since. Where he normally sits though, was an empty box of shoes and the wrappers from some socks. I am using that story for the strip. I will have final sketches by Wednesday.
My other classes are liberal arts and they're much less exciting.
Cheers,
Dave

Yorkshireartist
03-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Wow! What an interesting subject. Your Art teacher certainly stretches your imagination. I think your little old homeless man would have made a great subject for a painting. If he comes back ask if you could paint his portrait!

The empty box sounds interesting too. I am painting a packet of sweets at the moment. Trying to get that translucent look is very hard.

Koi
03-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Well, this is just a short post because I really should be finishing my government paper, but I'm working on an artist's bio and to go with the bio, we have to make something in our artist's main style and the theme is the human hand. Our proff made us pick out the artist's name out of an envelope, and who did I end up picking? David Smith.

I'm having a hard time with this, because I'm not a metal worker and need help coming up with something that looks metallic. I'm learning towards dowels and metalic spray paint. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anuran
03-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I posted up the initial sketches and the previous two assignments for Illustration in this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5552157#post5552157

I should have final versions up rather soon too.

russell44
04-19-2007, 05:22 PM
For the person who is trying Alla Prima with a palette knife only because the Nazi Professor will not let them use brushes... TRANSFER. Also look up Richard Schmid, Sherri McGraw and Scott Burdick, Susan Lyon if you want to see some great Alla Prima work

Koi
04-21-2007, 11:36 AM
:heart: The professor chose my art work to be in the student art show! It was a wooden hand spray painted in silver chrome in the style of David Smith. It didn't win anything, but I'm so proud. It's my first very tiny show!