PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Printmaking

Meldy
04-24-2002, 09:09 PM
Hi Everyone! I am new here! I have been highly referred by another member and I am excited about the community here. I graduated with a BFA in Painting and Graphic Design (including Printmaking) and have spent the last two years establishing myself as a Web and Print Designer to bring in the money to establish my habit! Now I am starving to get back into Printmaking. Below are two examples of my work... I absolutely am in love with Intaglio but don't have the set up for it currently. I have just set up an area of my (small) apt for linoleum and woodcuts...and if anyone has any advice for a person who is jumping back in cold let me know!!! Thank you!!

Meldy
04-24-2002, 09:10 PM
here is the linoleum... wasn't sure how to add more than one file..

chris 97
04-25-2002, 11:41 AM
nice work. glad to see you have jumped back in to printmaking with both feet! looking forward to seeing more of your work. oh, and by the way, WELCOME!

Meldy
04-25-2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks Chris! Super glad to be here! Hopefully I will have some more stuff soon, it is crunch time at work! Nice to meet you!

sassybird
04-25-2002, 01:34 PM
I like both of these pieces. The lino is clean and well balanced in composition. Nice eye catcher. The intaglio is my favorite though. Can you tell us a bit about how you developed the image?

I have a very small studio in my home which is crammed beyond reason because I work in a variety of mediums, but printmaking is my favorite medium. I have a small Griffin press 13x24" which allows me to do intaglio as well as other printmaking techniques.

You can buy ferric cloride through several online/mail order companies, but if you can get it locally it will save you a great deal in hazardous chemical fees. I use a small rubbermaid container 9x14x4" to keep my acid mix in. It has an air tight lid which keeps it from evaporating. I have another container that I use to soak my paper in.

For rolling my ink I use my light table, but a piece of tempered glass or even plexiglass works well. You really don't need a lot of space to do intaglio, just a well organized area.

Aquatint is one of my favorite techniques. My husband is going to build me an aqua tint box, but at this time I use an old pair of hose which I cut, filled with aquatint, and shake evenly over my plates.

For heating my plates I bought a second hand appliance something like an electric griddle that goes from 150 to 450 degrees which is enough heat for any ground to spread on the plate. I paid $6 for it.

Simple shelves and 1 or 2 drawer carts from Wal Mart hold all my supplies. The carts run about $18 for 3 drawers that hold a lot. You can also take an old door or 1" thick plywood to place across the carts or tall concrete blocks for a work area. That is what I use, and my roll carts fit right under with ease.

Well, I hope that gives you some ideas. I know what it is like to jump back in. I was unable to do any printmaking for about 2 yrs, and I am just getting back into it myself.

Meldy
04-25-2002, 01:54 PM
Wow! You are awesome! Thanks! All of the information you just gave me just flooded me with memories of studio! You know how when you don't do something for two years you begin to forget terminology and processes? You have given me some ground to stand on.

How much do Griffen Presses run? That would probably be my biggest setback to doing an Intaglio.

I actually used the Auatint technique for most of that print. I used a drawing I had done from a photo of myself and transferred it by scratching into the ground and etching. After that I actually used a spray paint can for aqua tint. We had a cardboard box set up on its side to catch the stray paint and sprayed the can over our plates at an angle so that the mist would settle evenly. That is pretty much all I did to build up the values.

Again thanks so much for the detailed description of your studio!

sassybird
05-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Meldy, My small Griffin Press ran a bit over $2400 with shipping. I waited 7 months for it to come to me. They had promised shipment within 2 to 3 months then 9/11 happened. Even with things settling down after that they still didn't ship right away. I got it right before Christmas after many emails and phone calls to them. Their presses are some of the best on the planet, but I would not go through that again. Gisela bought a press from Dick Blick, and it was about $2200 less than what I paid...lol and she got it in about 3 weeks. So, I would suggest you check Dick Blick if you want to buy a press that is reasonable.