PDA

View Full Version : Roadside Pines

Old Tex
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Done this afternoon. Trying to loosen up a bit. As always, all comments are welcome.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/100938-Roadside_Pines.jpg

knifepainter
03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
How refreshing to see all that green, summerlike landscape. We still have about 3 feet of snow laying around where we live. Nice job. I have recently discovered casien paints and like them alot, I believe they are somewhat like gouche. Keep up the good work!

meglyman
03-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Ralph,

This is gorgeous. As usual, I love the sky. The composition is wonderful. The perspective on the pine trees makes them look impressive. The light coming though their branches is amazing.

My only suggestion is that bottom right corner - the diagonal line is great, but the green and brown contrast a lot. I know you're supposed to put more contrast in the foreground, but it draws my eye away from the trees just a bit.

Are you selling this one? :D

Meg

Old Tex
03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Darrell, would I be rubbing it in if I told you the reference photo for this was taken a week ago? Thanks for looking. I appreciate your comments!

Meg, thanks! The sky washed out a bit with the scan. You never know where the inspiration is going to come from. The photo for this was taken through a dirty windshield, at 70 mph. It was morning, somewhere in Tennessee, and I had to try to catch that light in the trees, and there was no time to stop. Got a similar comment about the green at the bottom on the landscape forum.

I'll go with prints on my website. I'm still trying to decide what to do with all of my originals. Thanks for asking!

Sonia
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I really love these 5" x 7"s. They're my kind of size. Just a fraction of a vast landscape that catches the eye and you manage to capture the essence so well.

pinkrybns
03-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Nice light in the trees. Great sky.

Old Tex
03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Sonia, thanks! I'm finding it's the right size for me for the learning process.
Judy, thank you. That light was what I was hoping to catch.

meglyman
03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Yay! I want a print!