PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Balcony Scene in Gouache..

peintureuse
03-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I havn't worked in gouache in so long! I need to get 'em out. Here's one I did a while ago on top of the 9th balcony of my university.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/67484-9thfloor.jpg

I need to practice more...

meglyman
03-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi! Glad you stopped by!

This is an interesting style you have. I hope you don't mind, but I will make a few suggestions in the case that you practice your gouache again soon. If you don't want C&C, sorry!!, and just let me know.

One is composition - the rooftop wall heads straight into the corner and draws the eye off the page. Another is perspective - the water tower looks a bit odd. It's above the horizon on the top, and below the horizon on the bottom, so the curves of the cylinder should arc up slightly at the top and arc down slightly at the bottom. You've got the top curves going the right way, but the "lid" curves the opposite way.

I like the way you've used the characteristics of gouache in this painting, and how you have things outlined. I hope you post some more gouaches here!

Meg

Old Tex
03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Dana!

Sorry it took so long for us to respond. There are not many of us on this site, and we hope it will grow, so we're glad you're here! I went to your website, and it's obvious, especially from "La Seine" and "Gates" that you do understand perspective, so I'm guessing that it's been quite a while since you did this one. Looking at all of your work, it's obvious you love color, and it shows in this balcony scene. (By the way, I really like your "Still Life with Grapes".) Keep it up!

peintureuse
03-19-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah the perspective is quite off, bad me, if it was perfect this piece would be so much better.. plus i didn't get to finish. thanks SO MUCH for the responses. you guys rock. xoxooxxo

JamieWG
03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
This is a really fun scene! I can tell what a good time you had up there on the balcony. Congratulations for taking on such a challenging scene. I like your style. I'll bet the folks in the Plein Air forum would love to see this too, being that you did it outside from life. (You can find that forum by going to the Artwork from Life forum. Plein Air is a subforum of AFL.)

Jamie

friesin
03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I like the loose style ! Besides for the roof, as was already said, everything looks just generous !

Sonia
03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
I like the immediacy of this.

pinkrybns
03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I like the immediacy of this.Me too!
And the colors.

meglyman
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I finally checked out your website and I just wanted to say that I really like "La Seine!"
Meg