PDA

View Full Version : Fence Line

Old Tex
03-15-2007, 11:58 PM
My scanner really loves white. It's not as glaring in the original. Tried adjusting, but can't do any more without screwing up the rest of it.

As always, all comments are welcome.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2007/100938-Fence_Line_500.jpg

meglyman
03-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Ralph,

Another good one! I really like the lighting on this. It looks just like a partly cloudy day where there are bits of sun all around you, but you're in shade for the moment. It makes me happy.

My only suggestion would be to change the fence. The sticks have nice depth near the tree, but near the corner, they're a bit bright (could be the evil scanner, I suppose). And the fence's path into the corner leads my eye off the page. You could also potentially blue-down the distant hills to push them into the distance.

I like the brushwork in the light colored grass and the way you cut out the tree branches with the white. I also like the interesting shapes in the lower right corner - great composition-wise.

Once again, I love the sky! What type of brush(es) did you use on this? I'm wondering if I should try using bristles once in a while.

An aside - does anyone ever feel slightly "fraudulent" when critiquing other people's stuff? As I write all these suggestions, I can't help but think that I'd never see these flaws if it were my painting - at least until someone else pointed them out. I know it's hard to be objective with your own stuff, but still... anyone else feel this way?

Meg

Old Tex
03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
That fence killed me. I need to paint more "structural" objects just to get the brushwork and color going right. And I agree about the fence going into the corner. That didn't really hit me until I was nearly finished, and it's a composition thing I'll have to watch. I use flat bristles entirely, except for little spots like cutting into the foliage.

Yes, I am always hesitant to comment on another person's work, but you know what? I'm finding that it's very helpful to me, because other people are looking at things without the emotional attachment to the picture. So, I figure if it's helpful to me,then it's helpful to others. So don't ever hesitate to point things out on my paintings.

Thanks!

plec
03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice piece of work, good perspective and really like the way you have handled the foliage,
Best wishes, Ken..

MarieMeyer
03-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Very nice, and again, I like your colors. How do you make your greens?

I agree that the fence is the problem, can you just glaze over it with something to make it darker?

Old Tex
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Ken!
Marie, thank you! I'm still using cheap colors, so the greens are a mix of something called "light green", yellow ochre, burnt umber and permanent white. It's real easy to make "mud" out of that combination if I overdo it on the burnt umber. About all I can do with the fence is to tone it down a little. Glazing with gouache is really tricky.