PDA

View Full Version : Bluebird

meglyman
03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Hey folks!

I did this little guy in gouache last night. He's 3x4" on really thick illustration board. I like the stuff... it didn't buckle at all!

C&C welcome. I tried the random brushstroke thing in the background, and it turned out OK... but I'm wondering if it's too cluttered or contrasty or somehow taking the focus away from the bird.

Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2007/89276-meglyman_bluebird_sm.jpg

Old Tex
03-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Nice one, Meg. I think I'd bring the dark from the upper left corner down all the way to this fellow's head and back. Right now, you've "haloed" him, and it feels like that light background above him is competing with him. I love a darker background behind a single subject like this.

I'm proud of you for experimenting!

meglyman
03-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks Ralph! Like I said, you're inspiring.

I "haloed" him on purpose, because I wanted to put a dark background behind his light breast and a light background behind his dark head and back. But now that you mention it, I'm thinking that wasn't such a good idea. Or maybe it was, but I made the lights too light. He really fades into the background instead of popping out of it.

There are some other shapes in the background that are distracting me, like the light around the twig in the foreground. I'll try to fix it. I guess I'm going to find out how much punishment this illo board can take!

Meg

meglyman
03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Update!

I'm tired of it, so I'm done. But please let me know whether I made it better or worse, and what else I could have done to improve.

Thanks,
Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2007/89276-meglyman_bluebird_sm.jpg

Old Tex
03-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Sorry, Meg, I just saw the date on this and realized you had updated. I like it so much better now! Good job!

meglyman
03-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Ralph. I thought it was a bit better but I'd been staring at it for so long...

AriadneArts
03-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Much better now, Meg. I know what you mean about "staring at it for so long." I usually hate what I've done after I've finished a piece. After I set it aside for a few days, then have a fresh look, I usually like it a lot better, LOL.

meglyman
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Eileen, I know the feeling! There's also the reverse, when I've been staring at one spot on the painting for half an hour, think it looks great... but when I take a step back, I'm rudely awakened. ;)