When school budgets are cut, often the first program
to end is a school's art program, yet many students
feel that without art class highschool would be
unbearable. Why do we need art in our schools and in
our lives? Make an argument for retaining the school's
art program.

zarroc
03-14-2007, 05:45 PM
This is all because bush's no child left behind thingy listed art as one of the 10 core subjects, but didn't include any way to test art. Education is all about tests now.

Understanding art is a vital part of understanding the world around. I'm forced to learn math even though I will not need to know any math beyond the basic stuff I learned in elementary school. But math teaches a logical process and forces me to use part of my brain that if I left alone would just wither and die. More and more books come out every day about creative problem solving and business people always talk about the importance of creative thought, but most schools don't really make an effort to encourage creativity. Even in english class there isn't a lot of freedom, you're supposed to follow the 5 paragraph essay template.

RachelFlyer
03-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Sigh. I get so frustrated with the all or nothing approach of some of the school districts. A program doesn't have to be expensive or even extensive to be high in quality and usefullness.

Art programs (knowledge & skills):
- Help people find their voice,
- Enrich lives & diminish stress,
- Increase aesthetic appreciation of the world (less vandalism?),
- Provide a language to speak about visual things,
- Assist in making purchases of (lasting) satisfaction & value,
- Help people know how to make the visual impact they want,
- Supply a useful skill in retail & office jobs (increases customers),
- Provide a basis for vocational art training...
All difficult to measure on tests, but invaluable tools for life.

I'll get off my soapbox, now. ;)
Rachel

mynameserin
03-17-2007, 05:46 PM
NCLB has nothing to do with art funding or not, it has been a question way before Bush! Besides, there are vast ways of implimenting tests in an art curriculum as mandaded by each state. Michigan has a 12 page format for applied/visual arts. Creative problem solving can be measuered per creative process. Vocabulary can be tested. Art History through essays and multiple choice. Color charts, mixing, value, written and sketch journal entries, etc.

Aesthetics is important to all visual learners. Creative problem solving as a left brain activity can help students that have tallent in the area as well as those with learning disabilities find new ways to apply themelves to the core-curriculum.

Throughout history art programs have facilitated cultural moral in societies. Durring the Renneciance art was considered just as scholarly as philosophy. After the Great Depression in America the government provided many jobs to artists to decorate governement buildings and boost moral in our citizens.

If sports are left in school, than absolutely an art program! If they must cut funding, they should at least provide another outlet for our creative children!

ehmansfield
03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
The age old question -- What is art? In high school's, to many students it's an easy A. For those who understand it beyond simply slopping pretty colors on paper to make a pretty picture, it is an expression of emotion, a celebration of what was seen or felt through the eyes that a camera will never capture. In society art is the window for creating emotional response within others, whether creating a soothing, calm atmosphere, or convincing other's to buy a product. Every inventor of every product you use daily to make your lives easier or more pleasant were created by artists, from the architect who designed the buildings we live within, to the engineers who create every machine from the washer and dryer to electric power plants, to the chemists who cure diseases, and so on.
In a nut shell -- Art promotes creativity, which promotes active visualization for the purpose of "thinking ahead", which promotes ingenuity, which promotes problem solving skills, which promotes free thinking beyond that of a robot simply deducing 2+2=4, which promotes self awareness, which promotes world awareness, which creates the true artists no matter what you do for a living who love life and the world around them thus making better people all around, hopefully. Keep art in school, please.

Tusitalo
03-17-2007, 08:17 PM
OK, who said yes! Especially on an artist's site....:rolleyes:
I would think, with a site like WetCanvas that the responce here would be 100% that the Arts program in schools should not be cut.... interesting....:confused:

saralindsey
04-03-2007, 12:44 AM
I had to answer the question "Why is teaching art important in schools?" during my interview for my teaching certificate. I answered because art is the practicial application of things they are taught in core classes, it helps students relate much more abstract ideas into everyday life. You will find science, math, literature even politics in art. The "Da Vinci Code", proportions and ratios, illistrations of famous literature pieces, and current events have always inspired arts.

There are reasons every textbook has illistrations of examples. People need visual context for most ideas, art helps do that for students. Taking art out of school creates a void in students education. Even if the most a high school student takes is ceramics, lets face it reading in a history text book about civilizations had building everything my earthenware takes on a whole new context and reality for them than it ever did before- they learn how hard it is to create clay, build a strong vessel then go through the firing process and it survive into something useable that process is a major learning tool for many students.

I can go on but it is late and I have an early morning and need to stop and head to bed.