PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Shrub

Old Tex
03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Now that it's up here, I can see some things that need work, but thought I'd put it up at this point and see what you think. All comments are welcome.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/100938-Cactus_500.jpg

Celeste McCall
03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
HI, Old Tex. I just had to comment here for a fellow Texan.

This reminds me of the cacti near Uvalde and also in West Texas. I can't wait to get down there during may to see some of them blooming again.

First, I like your paintings a lot.

This painting has a good diagonal flow to it. And they do grow just like that. :D :D :D

Anyway, you should think about coming to the WC get together at the end of the first week of September. It's going to be fun AND it may be in McKinney.

Old Tex
03-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks, Celeste! I've only recently started painting, and figured an old Texas boy ought to learn to paint a cactus while he's at it. I do appreciate your comments.

I saw the notice recently about the get together. I just may try to make it.

I just looked at your watercolors. Beautiful work!!

Celeste McCall
03-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks. And hope to see you there. :D :D :D

meglyman
03-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Ralph,

Another good one! I like the colors and the diagonal composition. I really love the textures you're getting! Are you doing some dry-brushing?

My only suggestion would be to add a bit of detail to the cactus itself, to bring it out more as the focus, and to give it more volume. The leaves (what do you call that part of a cactus??) look a little flat.

How much time do you typically spend on these? Do you work outside? I love how spontaneous these landscapes look - they have an excellent "plein air" feeling about them.

Meg

MarieMeyer
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Its great. I particularly like the color scheme - plenty of variety, but yet they harmonize together in a nice mellow way.

Old Tex
03-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Meg, I worked almost straight from the tube in most cases (little or no water) on this one. The gouache dries so fast that I get texture even when I don't want it. (Still working on the consistency thing for the way I want to paint.) Timewise, I'm probably spending about 3-4 hours or so, kind of slow to my mind for something so small, but I haven't developed a good starting method yet, and I probably waste a lot time in trial and error. And I usually have 2 or 3 going at once, so maybe it's not that bad. So far, everything has been from photographs, primarily from the image gallery here.

Hi Marie! The colors are probably my favorite part of this one. Thanks!

meglyman
03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the info, Ralph! You do such nice Texas scenes, just wondered if all you had to do was step out your door to see big ol' cacti. I spent part of my childhood in TX and have been missing it ever since.

I'm slow too, painfully so... I just hope I speed up with experience. Having 2 or 3 going at once is an excellent idea.

Meg