PDA

View Full Version : Re: Layer Order Painting

Siffer1
03-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Tried to follow a step-by-step painting from Joel called "A Fresh Face." It's beautiful!!

I would like my photo reference as the canvas, the sketch as the second layer and painting layer on top.

Any and all support will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dee

LadyAlba
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Go to selections select all of the ref photo then go to copy then back to edit and select paste into a new image...then add a layer to that for your sketch then add another layer on top of that for your painting layer. Hope this helps. :wave:

Elvira
03-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I like to have my sketch or drawing as the top layer, but then I don't use the photo as part of the painting.
Edie

LadyAlba
03-13-2007, 10:57 AM
As do I Edie :) I will use this process (without the painting layer) for a trace when I have something with alot of detail or a portrait then I lift the canvas layer to wc and delete it leaving the canvas blank and my sketch is on top. :wave:

barryt
03-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Why not make a clone and use the tracing paper, making a sketch and then a painting, sketch on top, which you can make disapear using the 'eye'

LadyAlba
03-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I had never tried it like that Barry had to go into painter and try it out before answering here just to be sure I knew what you meant. :lol: That is a good way to do it also and when you close your original pic you are just left with the trace on the canvas or layer (if you remember to add a layer to sketch on :evil: ) as well as being able to toggle off and on (when the original is there). Thank you! :wave:

Siffer1
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi Barry,

I made a clone from the reference photo and turned on tracing paper. After the sketching, I want to paint from the referenced photo onto my sketch.

Having difficulty making my sketch into a layer.

Is it possible to see a step-by-step visual.

Thank you kindly.

Dee

Why not make a clone and use the tracing paper, making a sketch and then a painting, sketch on top, which you can make disapear using the 'eye'

barryt
03-13-2007, 02:32 PM
It would be better if you made a layer first, then sketch on it. Then create another layer for the painting. You can change the order of layers by moving them with the mouse.
This shows my layers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/70662-layers.jpeg

I label the layer with the name I want Having made the sketch I click on th etracing paper to hide the image, then proceed from there. I try to get rid of the sketch as soon as possible by clicking on the eye.

Siffer1
03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Barry,

Great!!!!

I will try that tonight.

Off to a Photo Shoot.

Thanks.

Dee

Siffer1
03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the visual. It worked!!!

Dee

It would be better if you made a layer first, then sketch on it. Then create another layer for the painting. You can change the order of layers by moving them with the mouse.
This shows my layers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/70662-layers.jpeg

I label the layer with the name I want Having made the sketch I click on th etracing paper to hide the image, then proceed from there. I try to get rid of the sketch as soon as possible by clicking on the eye.

justjean
03-15-2007, 03:42 PM
If I'm tracing I clone the image , add a layer on top, trace the parts that I want, add a layer under the trace, delete the clone , then having the image beside I start to paint and as soon as I get my base colours in turn of the trace and then just eyeball it from there :wave:

jhercilia
03-16-2007, 01:03 AM
don't forget to show us your masterpiece!