PDA

View Full Version : Painting Water and Sky

Siffer1
03-12-2007, 04:23 PM
In the traditional world the hake brush is used for painting water and sky. What brush is used in the digital painter world to give the same effect?

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

Dee

Jin
03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Dee,

It depends a lot on the software you're using.

I use Corel Painter and artists using that software paint water and skies with many different brush variants. There's no single way to paint water or skies and there's no single style. Often a Painter artist will use multiple brush variants to paint whatever they're painting, including water and skies.

Sorry to be so vague, but that's how digital painting is. There are many says to "skin a cat", some that could not be done using traditional media.

Siffer1
03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Jin,

Thanks for your response.

I am using Painter 1X.

The mediums I am using are Acrylics and Artist Oils.

I will try the different brush varients in each medium.

Dee

LadyAlba
03-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Don't know if this will help but I use the impressionist brush for skys and water then use the soft blender for the sky to soften and the grainy flat and round blender for the water at a very low opacity. :wave:

Siffer1
03-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I will try it out.

If it comes close to any of your beautiful paintings, I will have accomplished alot.

Thanks.

Dee

LadyAlba
03-13-2007, 01:33 AM
Glad to help and that was so sweet of you , Dee and believe me I do have alot of bloopers they just never make it up here. :lol:

Jin
03-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Hi Dee,

You're welcome!

In the February 2007 issue of the Painter X newsletter, the Painter Canvas, there's a tutorial by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis on using the new RealBristle Brushes to paint a beautiful sky and clouds.

Though you don't have the RealBristle Brushes category in Painter IX, you could follow the tutorial (or most of it) using either the Oils variants or Artists' Oils variants. If nothing else, Cher's painting can be an inspiration.

Here's the link:

Sky and Cloud Tutorial by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1172175832666?trkid=tpc0207)

Have fun painting!

Siffer1
03-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi Jin,

Thanks for the tutorial.

I am a big fan of Cher Thereinen-Pendarvis.

The Painter 1X Work book is awesome!!

Dee

Hi Dee,

You're welcome!

In the February 2007 issue of the Painter X newsletter, the Painter Canvas, there's a tutorial by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis on using the new RealBristle Brushes to paint a beautiful sky and clouds.

Though you don't have the RealBristle Brushes category in Painter IX, you could follow the tutorial (or most of it) using either the Oils variants or Artists' Oils variants. If nothing else, Cher's painting can be an inspiration.

Here's the link:

Sky and Cloud Tutorial by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1172175832666?trkid=tpc0207)

Have fun painting![/quote]

jhercilia
03-16-2007, 01:47 AM
You can also just apply some strokes and then with the same brush, you would set Resat to 0. This will make the brush behave like a blender since it won't load the brush with paint.

wrangler
03-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately I use Paint Shop Pro. version 7.

justjean
03-18-2007, 03:55 PM
You are using a great program I use it and Painter.

You can always try and make your own hake brush in PSP7:)