PDA

View Full Version : PRINTS??? and TIME???

arlene
04-23-2002, 09:45 AM
I've heard that prints don't sell as well on ebay...what are everyone's thoughts on it.

second question: how much time do you spend on each of your auctions...i'm sure part of it is the learning curve for me, but it seems to take forever.

cagathoc
04-23-2002, 10:22 AM
I think it depends on the price. Even Jeff Cohen, a well known artist who pulls in hundreds of $ for each original he posts, does not sell his $75 prints. Who wants to pay $75 for a print when you can get a nice original painting (albeit from an emerging artist) at eBay? I think the key for prints is low price and quanity with a gradual increase in prices over time as you get known.

Your AboutMe page and listings are first rate! Very professional and just right. Now that you have that, just use them as a template and the next round of listings will be very quick.

Knock them dead, Lady! :D

cagathoc
04-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Your original should be a featured plus listing - you get 10 times the hits. You can't sell what people don't see... For the price range it's listed in, it's well worth the $20 for the advertising both for the piece and for your own website which will receive more traffic.

timelady
04-23-2002, 03:16 PM
I tend to list in batches. So I probably spent about an hour getting the beginning description for all the items, maybe up to 10 (size, description, medium, title). I then have an hour to do all the images. I do two, one large one for the page on my site that my listing links to and one medium size one for the listing itself on ebay, large enough to get a good idea of the painting but to tempt them to click on the "more details here" link (perfectly legal, as it's just to information about the item being auctioned). Then I usually spend an hour or so actually listing all those items. I have found the new "Sell Your Item" form to be very useful, as all I have to change for each item is the title, first few lines of the desc, and the image URL.

So I guess for 10 items it takes me 3 hours total for photographing, typing and listing. I hardly ever do these all at the same time, usually taking photos one afternoon, typing descriptions another evening, and then spending the hour listing on the right day. :) If you have a look at one of my auctions the linked web page is a standard template and all of the listing starting with "you are buying directly from the artist" is standard.

Paying for featured listings has never sold a painting for me, a waste of money so far. I have tried the Buy It Now option on my latest bunch, because I didn't realise the fee was only 5c. I'm sure it used to be higher when they first made us start paying for it.

Tina.

arlene
04-24-2002, 12:30 PM
thanks tina and cindy.

That's why i put the seconds on the prints up for now, with the exception of the rose and orchid...those are signed prints...(a glorified way of saying I signed my repro...yes i do know the different...lol)

As for the featured listing, for now i need to say no...only cause I have to count pennies at this time of the year...today i'm going to put up some of my paper sculpture flowers...to see if i can sell them.