PDA

View Full Version : Week 62 Classical Art Journey

tyree
03-11-2007, 12:53 PM
HI AND WELCOME TO CLASSICAL ART JOURNEY!!! Our Ms. Nickel is still under the weather this week..so im posting the new thread for the week..Please post some of your new work or thoughts that you have been working on...Dont forget the March challenge of material and folds!!! Share your art with us!!!! Post a photo or work that you think might get our Nickel happy and well again...Thanks Everyone!!!! Tyree:wave:

tyree
03-11-2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/65063-leaves_1.jpg This is a work ive been working on for the drawing and sketching thread..i used staedtler pencils on bristol with graphite...i have been trying very hard for some realism in my drawings by adding values ...but it just doesnt seem to be happening:confused: this is a 3x3 wip...8 hours into it...your c and c's would be welcomed...tyree:wave:

tyree
03-11-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/65063-horse_fountain.jpg This is a picture i took in Florence..Ive been wanting to sketch it for a long time..and just today got it out!!! I Think...it might have been Michelangelo..I Think..will check with my brother to make sure...Tyree:wave:

tyree
03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/65063-caravaggio.jpg I saw this painting in the National Gallery of Ireland...The Taking of Christ..1602..Michelangelo Merisi Da Caravaggio ..1571-1610..tyree

tyree
03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/65063-waterfall_4.jpg This is my finish of my water fall..its my happy drawing for Nickel...Thats all i have for today everyone...except this quote from Oscar Wilde.."Women love men for their defects; if men have enough of them women will forgive them everything...":smug: ...Get Well Nickel...:heart: and everyone have a good week!!! Tyree:wave:

Nickel
03-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Such a beautiful start to our week Susan. :D Thanks you so much, it has made me smile with delight to see all the beautiful pieces you selected. And you made me giggle at the Oscar Wilde quote. :D They are a sweet sort of mammal, lol. Fuxxy! I know I spelt that wrong. :) It's our friendship here in our journey that is the best, the places we've seen and the places we will go. I don't know exactly how an illness caught me, but I appreciate your get better wishes. All these pieces make me feel better. I like the waterfall. It has a very clamming effect. And I hadn't seen this painting by Caravaggio before. It is different, more forceful for him in this painting. He was a good painter I think. I'm going to try and work some tomorrow on challenge 3. It's interesting about more realistic pieces too. They take more time. I'm not sure when I'll finish the Ingres. Nickel

tyree
03-13-2007, 01:33 AM
nickel...im glad it cheered you up some...hows the lime jello coming along:p Hey...someones selling phones in this thread:lol: thats a pretty desperate gimmick id say!!! Ive been looking for about one hour tonight in the arc museum and in our own photo ref library for a still life to do with a material fold...ive not been successful:( will try again tomorrow..tired now...everyone take care...tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
03-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Oh Tyree - what a lovely pencil piece - The Taking of Christ - Christ's facial expression up against the soldier's ...or is that supposed to be Judas about to kiss him......what a beautiful work, I bet it is well nigh overwhelming to see . Well, I too have been meaning to look for a fold picture to copy, hard to find one eh?

Nickel, I hope you are well. When I had/have digestion track ills I was surprised how it messed with my emotions. Plus it is hard having to be sooo careful about what you eat when everyone else is just simply "throwing down" any ole thing. :eek:

Here is a poem for you my friends here. :heart: :heart: :heart:

A POEM BY EMILY DICKINSON

ALTER? When the hills do.
Falter? When the sun
Question if his glory
Be the perfect one.

Surfeit? When the daffodil
'Doth of the dew:
Even as herself, O friend!
I will of you!

Nickel
03-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey you want to buy a phone, :) maybe they want to buy me some lime jello :D I doubt it. Any way it's spam, just hit the report post button, it the little i in the triangle next to the thread number on the top right. Reminds me of this guy that came by and wanted to sell me windows and when I told him no he called me a name. Lol, he best not come back here. Hope you are perky and peppy today. It's been almost 80 here, hot to early.
Azulparsnip, the poems are lovely, and they make me smile, both of them. Here and in the studiolo. Isn't that a neat place we have. We can put some of our art work in there too. The orginal studiolo has no windows. Most likely why it was jeweled to reflect light~ for some strange reason it has me remembering the 70's, orange shag carpet, dark paneling, a basement turned play room kind of oddity. I really like poems. Maybe I should locate an Elvis impersonator. Nickel

tyree
03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
azul...thanks for your kind comments:heart: and for the beautiful poem!!! nickel...you must be feelin' better...:p orange shag carpet:lol: ...wow...i did have a shag haircut..hippie beads...halter top...wide wide hip hugger bell bottoms..and those thick clog shoes...yikes..what a neat outfit:smug: now that image should make ya giggle!!!:p :evil: tyree...ps ...still lookin' for my still life with material folds today..may have to go with a statue...

tyree
03-14-2007, 01:19 AM
http://drawsketch.about.com/b/a/257566.htm.... nickel...please (http://drawsketch.about.com/b/a/257566.htm.... nickel...please)let me know if ive done this correctly!!! its a great site..check it out if you have not already....tyree:D

azulparsnip
03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I checked it out Tyree and it is right up my alley and the links are good . I liked this one particularly

http://wandererseye.com/

Yes, Nick, I really like the studiolo. I find myself slipping away from the sink to flip thru some literature book for a scrap to post.
That is funny, that guy called you a name:lol: I have had telemarketers call me back after my refusal just to hang up on me. whatever

I found a funny thing happens when I answer the phone Buenos dias - the telemarketers go quiet and then say can you speak English. I say Ingeles?
then most of the time they are quiet or else I just repeat buenos dias and either they hang up or I do.:lol:

Gotta go - hope to work on linoleum cut today.

Nickel
03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Great link Susan! :D
Hi ya Azulparsnip!
Have a good day :) Nickel

tyree
03-14-2007, 11:26 PM
azul..that is a terrific link..some great b/w shots of italy..i love the ones in florence...i hope Barb sees this thread!!! tyree:wave:

LanK
03-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Tyree...your waterfall is magical!

azulparsnip
03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi ya'll

Nickel - remember talking about doing script ?? well I got a chance to do some last night......Here is an alphabet etc by Arthur Baker and my attempt -

There are no tips about what he uses here but by experimenting I found a squared brush works good. Here I used a wash brush which is too soft but was the closest thing I had. The soft brush made doing the small a almost impossible.

Nickel
03-15-2007, 02:04 PM
That's very good Azulparsnip. Did you use watercolor?
You did this all free hand, that's really good.

Thank you for showing us :) I'm still playing catch up

tyree
03-16-2007, 10:50 PM
laurie...thank you...i kind of like this piece too!!! azul..really terrific work on this script...do you do other types also??? ive alway enjoyed trying to duplicate different script types...kind of a lost art it seems??? or am i wrong??? have a good weekend everyone!!! nickel...are you feelin' better???? tyree:wink2:

Nickel
03-17-2007, 12:13 AM
What's up Kiddos :D It's been raining here, turned cold, just when I was ready to pull out some shorts and a t and pretend it was Spring :0)

I'm feeling better, off and on, it's killing me b/c I'm not suppose to do anything physical for awhile, not normal, and hey, what if I got use to this royal
treatment, I'll have to order some gold dust;) and a tall handsome man to wave a gentle breeze from a fern :) feed me grapes, call me Cleo, pet my pet lion.
Happy Saint Pat's Day tomorrow. I cooked a cornbeef & cabbage for a Lucky Irishman. While he's eating going to steal his pot of gold. ;)