PDA

View Full Version : Wet Camera Question

jfsart7
03-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Went out on a lake Friday fishing. My friend said that my Kodak cameras string would be strong enough to old on to. The darn things snapped. In to the lake. Have been trying to dry it up. There is still some in the lens. Any hope? How do you dry it out comepleting? When they are wet are they done for? Thought I should touch bases with the wetcanvas group. Someone might have some feedback. Would love to buy one now but not the funds yet. Help someone?
Jfsart7 Jim

Kallistos
03-11-2007, 04:55 AM
I would leave it for a few weeks somewhere dry and warm, and only then try to turn it back on again.

Would doubt it will survive though.

meriadoc
03-11-2007, 10:54 AM
well i've heard of a few ways :

1. bake in oven on a VERY low heat
2. attach to windshield wiper and drive 60mph (on a dry sunny day of course) -- SERIOUS!!

Honestly, i'd just be looking at a new one. Kodak cameras are cheap and aren't known for their hardiness - I've seen many a break - some even stop working after being in humid weather for a day.

I'd honestly write it off as a bad experience. Your card should still be ok though.

damar
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Sorry about your mishap.
Film or digital camera?
Open any part that can be opened and if you have a blow dryer with a "No Heat" setting, use that. "Low Heat" setting from a distance will help.
Let it sit for a day or so and clean.
Hope you are able to restore the camera to full operation.

emogirl
03-11-2007, 01:50 PM
first off...what a bummer!! BEEN THERE!
My first camera was a minolta x-370 I bought new in highschool. In college, while working at a remote fishing camp, the camera went in the lake in a fluke accident involving luggage and a rickety dock. My heart was sunk. I dried it out thoroughly, left it for a long while, fresh batteries, etc...didnt work. (this was an early automatic camera...required batteries for the shutter to fire & light meter, but manual focus) I couldnt afford a new camera, but I also just could never bear to get rid of that camera.

2 years later, I had a dream, yes, i had a dream (sounds cheesy, i know) that my camera worked and I started taking pix again. Well....I got out my camera, (that I could not bear to part with)....played with it...NO GO, still didnt work. Well, I just couldnt let that dream go....so I took the camera to a local camera shop....get this, he put in new batteries....IT WORKED! no problems...no nothing...it worked!!! It was the weirdest thing. Later that year I started my wedding photography busines...with that camera as the main body....adn I still have it to this day. I have replaced shutters in a few times since...but works like a charm. I retired it from weddings a couple of years ago....adn now retired forever i think, having moved to digital.

That's my story....bizarre as it is... so the moral is, dont give up hope...however, I will say this, had my camera been a fully automatic camera or digital, I doubt the electronics would have survived....however, the small amount of electronics in that camera did...so maybe, just maybe yours will too.

Good luck!

Windy
03-11-2007, 06:48 PM
It will take quite some time for it to totally dry out, but as long as there is no corrosion it may work.

jfsart7
03-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Everyone-
Want to thank everyone for the comments. I laughed at the camera going 60 miles fly around!! The pain is still there. The hope is still there too. Mean while, I am going to talk with some artists and other friends. Maybe I can trade for some of my artwork for a digital camera. I traded one of my miniature paintings for a mountain bike the other day. Always some hope. Thanks so much photo friends!! My brother is a photographer and he thought it would be a good idea to buy a water protected type of digital camera. I agree!!
Jim

Windy
03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Everyone-
Want to thank everyone for the comments. I laughed at the camera going 60 miles fly around!! The pain is still there. The hope is still there too. Mean while, I am going to talk with some artists and other friends. Maybe I can trade for some of my artwork for a digital camera. I traded one of my miniature paintings for a mountain bike the other day. Always some hope. Thanks so much photo friends!! My brother is a photographer and he thought it would be a good idea to buy a water protected type of digital camera. I agree!!
Jim
Jim if you are going to be around water much then yes! The little Olympus waterproof cameras are said to be terrific. A trade sounds like an excellent idea.

jfsart7
03-11-2007, 07:16 PM
My brother has used a Pentax optio w20 7mp with a 3x optical 200m I am not a photographer but I heard of the price at this time $247.99 at Amazon.
I still like the trading thing!! Thanks.

jfsart7
03-11-2007, 08:40 PM
GOOD NEWS!!!!!!! I put the camera back together. It is working!!! Thanks for all comments. Emogirl- I did not have a dream put the prayers were working!!
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/21877-100_4116ss.jpg

Windy
03-11-2007, 09:09 PM
:clap: Lucky fella!

Oldthumbs
03-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Looks like this problem was solved. I moved the thread over to the main Photography forum where we discuss equipment and software issues in the event that someone else might benefit from the information in this post.

Ray

jfsart7
03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks Ray. That's a good idea.
Jim

emogirl
03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Jim....thats fantastic...i knew there was hope!!!

LWaterfield
03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Sorry to be late, but I just found this-

I have an Olympus C-7000 digital camera that I LOVE, but that's not waterproof in the least.....and I'm an avid flyfisher who carries it in her vest!
I have "dunked" it twice (big trout can make you lose your mind a little), and thought it finally dead after a canoe mishap where it, and I, went under in the 45 degree Edisto River.....
and just last night found it working just fine!:clap:

Just give it a good three days to dry out, with the memory card & battery out and door open. I accidentally left the memory card in and it got damaged (thankfully it was the little 512k one), but otherwise it's survived again.
While it was drying I bought a Dicapac Waterproof case for it on ebay for $35- should help!

I'm glad yours seems to be fine too- they're hard to live without!

Windy
03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Excellent tip on the Dicapac. You are right they are hard to love without.

Oldthumbs
03-14-2007, 04:26 PM
You are right they are hard to love without.
Hmmm, I don't think I'm even going to ask what the heck you do with your camera. :evil:

Ray

Windy
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh phooey Ray, I have only just woken up and the eyes and fingers are not co-ordinating!
It should read ....
'HARD TO LIVE WITHOUT!' But I do love my camera and maybe the other statement fits sometimes :evil:

LWaterfield
03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the laugh- I love typos!

Windy
03-14-2007, 07:35 PM
You get plenty of them from me, and I cop a bit of flack :D I have thick skin ... glad to make anyone smile :D

jfsart7
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Emogirl-
Yes, there is always hope!! Thanks.

Lwaterfield-

How did you lose yours? My put in a strong string on mine. It will work this time. It could break the camera part but this string will last. My pontoon could blow up!! There was a guy that went with us. He was new and we had told him to check out the firmness of pontoon. OVER KILL!!!

Do you fish on the lakes or the rivers or both? We love the lakes.
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2007/21877-DS093017s1.jpg

LWaterfield
03-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Aw Windy, we were laughing with you!
And I'm a two-finger typist, so I'm too slow for too many typos...
and just to make you smile- I'm wearing my brand-new Blundstones right now-soooo comfortable. I've wanted a pair for years...spot on!

Jim, I swear- that looks like a perch in one hand and a trout in the other- now THAT'S fishin'!
I'm an avid flyfisher myself- guided for 7 years in NC- and it has crept into my artwork as well (my web site is under construction at the moment), so a working digital camera is a necessity. So I was beyond thrilled when my Olympus revived! Got the velcro camera case from Dicapac and it looks like a good solution- even has a metal clip at the top to clip into a strap. Look on ebay- I got mine for $35.

Here's a side note- the other time my Olympus got dunked was upon landing a 20" Snake River Fine Spot Cutthroat this summer in WY (Jim, you should understand all that), and thinking it beyond hope, I decided I couldn't be without a camera- after all, this was a fishing/painting trip! So, I went to *gulp* Walmart, told the clerk my sob story and she directed me to another Olympus which used the same XD card and battery....while telling me that Walmart has a "no questions asked return policy". I saved all the packaging and babied that camera for two days while my other one dried out. Then returned it to Walmart! It was a lifesaver!!

Windy
03-16-2007, 05:33 PM
LW I never suggested that anyone was not laughing "with" me. The majority of WC membershave been and continue to be very supportive. Especially here in the Photography forum :).
There is nothing wrong with being a two finger typist if it gets the job done. I mean to say better to be two fingered and accurate than many fingered and no-one can read it (like mine sometimes :lol: )
I'm wearing my brand-new Blundstones right now-soooo comfortable. I've wanted a pair for years...spot on!
Now there is an Aussie boot and an Aussie saying! As for the boot we are very disappointed that they have made the decision to take manufacturing to Asia, this invariably means that shoes will end up narrower etc ....
Your poor camera sounds like it has copped a bit of a hard time .... and the Walmart lady went over and above the call of duty.
(you will have to give us a link to your web site when done ... mine is still under construction too)

Oldthumbs
03-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I never suggested that anyone was not laughing "with" me. The majority of WC membershave been and continue to be very supportive. Especially here in the Photography forum :).
Besides, Wendy knows that I was just giving her a bit of a ribbing. Normally I let her typos go by, but every once in a while I can't resist. ;) Wendy's my bud, so no worries. If she ever gets upset over something I say, I'm sure she will grace me with a whack upside the head. :D

Ray

Windy
03-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Besides, Wendy knows that I was just giving her a bit of a ribbing. Normally I let her typos go by, but every once in a while I can't resist. ;) Wendy's my bud, so no worries. If she ever gets upset over something I say, I'm sure she will grace me with a whack upside the head. :D

Ray

YUP :evil:

Paulafv
03-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, you look happy as a clam. Glad the camera works and you don't need a new one now. Keep an eye out for a great sale or trade on Craig's List for a new camera and your beautiful art. Maybe you can trade with your brother...what are they for anyways.

drippingred
09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I know this is a older thread I came across, but if you need to dry anything out or simply need moisture protection what you need is Silica Gel Packets. Silica Gel absorbs moisture and dries things. You find these in dry food packaging, shoe boxes, shipping boxes, shipping containers, etc. They are used because they keep the items dry and free from moisture damage.

Silica Gel Packets would be great to keep in your camera bag or if you have a wet camera you can just put the camera in a zip lock bag with several Silica Gel Packets and these will pull all the moisture out of your camera and keep it very dry.

If you need some just Google - Silica Gel Packets - there are several suppliers out there.

Windy
09-25-2008, 04:18 PM
I know this is a older thread I came across, but if you need to dry anything out or simply need moisture protection what you need is Silica Gel Packets. Silica Gel absorbs moisture and dries things. You find these in dry food packaging, shoe boxes, shipping boxes, shipping containers, etc. They are used because they keep the items dry and free from moisture damage.

Silica Gel Packets would be great to keep in your camera bag or if you have a wet camera you can just put the camera in a zip lock bag with several Silica Gel Packets and these will pull all the moisture out of your camera and keep it very dry.

If you need some just Google - Silica Gel Packets - there are several suppliers out there.
Good suggestion and do not forget you can dry silica gel out in the oven to make it reusable. (learned that in the tropics). Welcome to the forum.