PDA

View Full Version : Gouache painting

dbclemons
03-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Here's a new gouache painting from me. Haven't worked with the medium for awhile, so I thought it was time to dust off the tubes. It's 12x9."

Old Tex
03-09-2007, 01:15 PM
This is nice, David. I've tried similar, but just never get it right. Good job on the skin tones. I think a little more dramatic lighting would give you some good shadows to work with. Nice job.

meglyman
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM
David,

I like what you've done with the composition, with the colors & shapes in the background and foreground. The lady has a very interesting expression. You've done a great job with the hands. I have never tried to do smooth skin in gouache - I imagine it was tough getting it to look so smooth. The texure in the fabric is lovely.

I do agree with Ralph about the lighting - I find it tough to work on subjects that are lit from several sources. I think you've done a good job with it, but lighting the model from one direction only could add some dynamicism (hmm, is that even a word?) to the painting.

Meg

dbclemons
03-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Thank you both.

Yes, I'm usually all about the drama, but sometimes a more subdued presentation works best. I wanted to emphasize the lines in this more than the forms.

The skin was a bit of a challenge, which was what I was expecting. It is still a bit too "patchy" than I would prefer, but it'll do until the next one. I think I "fussed" with it too much. The bottom fabric I was originally intending to be more opaque, but I liked how the wash came out - it made for a soft, velour-like surface.