PDA

View Full Version : Paper canvas/canvasette - a newbie question?

catjoe
04-22-2002, 04:20 PM
I have just started working in acrylics, switching over from watercolors, it seems to be a better medium for me and the way I like to paint. I have a question about canvas. I am working on paper canvas or canvasette, and I really like it, but I was wondering if the finished paintings will have durability on it, and if they can still be framed without glass...I am using a product from Bienfang, and also have found the same (different brand) on page 119 of the Cheap Joe's catalog. Has anyone had experience with this, and also, what are your personal favorites to paint upon. Thanks!!!

paintergirl
04-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Hi Catjoe
I paint on canvas paper when I want to 'play' at a new technique so I can't tell you about the long term qualities of the paper. One thing I noted though...there can be some degree of arching and rippling with multi layers and you would not want to do much dry-brushing or scrubbing as the paper will 'let go" . I guess it would depend alot on your style of painting and how much paint you like to apply...

I use canvas paper for miniature paintings (2" x3") but beyond that , I do all paintings for show or market on canvas board or stretched canvas.

If you are worried about the durability I would definitely lean to canvas or masonite. As for framing, it would probably frame like watercolor paper...but without glass, I dont know if the paper would be susceptible to damage or not.
Sorry I am not much help...good luck with your painting! :D

*canvas board is very affordable and can be bought in multiples for a good price.

stress
04-25-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm new, too, and I started with paper. I really like it! The only issue is that it tends to 'roll' at the edges on me. Maybe because I'm new or because I use too much paint on it. Don't know.....but I like it. I like using it especially for new ideas or ideas that I'm not so sure will work. I use canvas board too which is really inexpensive. I found a great place on-line for canvas (www.canvasplace.com), so I've been using canvas lately.

Good Luck with acrylics. I'd love to see some of your paintings!