PDA

View Full Version : Gouache Kangaroo

meglyman
03-08-2007, 06:15 PM
So, I have an unexplained fondness for kangaroos, and when I go to the zoo I watch them for hours. My boyfriend never goes to the zoo with me anymore.

I also love soccer and play it all the time, and have for many years. Inevitably, a tiny soccer-playing kangaroo doodle made its way into my sketchbook, and I decided to give him a go with gouache.

I had fun with this one. I especially enjoyed the sky, letting some of the paper show through. (Too bad most of it is a highly fugitive Holbein color called Smalt Blue! I love it!) The paper is tinted Canson pastel paper, which held up fairly well, but is much thinner than watercolor paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2007/89276-meglyman_kingaroo_soccer_vcl.jpg

All C&C welcome! Please! I feel I am improving with each painting, but I'd love to hear *any* suggestions for improvement.

Meg

Old Tex
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I like the color, Meg! I still have an unexplainable hesitation about using strong colors. And I like your treatment of the grass and the trees. I really like the way you painted the feet, head and the light and shadow on the soccer ball. The only comment I might make is about that back hip. I don't know anything about kangaroo anatomy, but it bothers me a little.

It's a fun painting!

meglyman
03-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Ralph,

Thanks for replying! The bold colors are fun to use - all this time I've been working in graphite, so when I switched to color, I wanted to go all the way! I'm glad you like the lighting - I wasn't sure how it was all working together. I only convert it to b&w for a value check once I'm done, so I never know for sure if my colors and values are working together.

Thanks for the anatomy comment. I was also bothered by that back knee/hip area. Unfortunately, none of the roos at the zoo would pose like this for me, so I had to guess at it. Not sure what to do to fix it. Stick with poses that I have reference for, I suppose.

Anyway, you inspired me to try a landscape, which I hate, ;) so I'm off to work on that!

Meg

MarieMeyer
03-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Off topic here: the Australian national team are usually referred to as the Soccaroos. Change it to a green and gold strip and it will sell in a flash down under!!:lol:

meglyman
03-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Really? Cool! Thanks for the tip. I might just do that. ;)
Meg

Sandy K
03-11-2007, 11:27 AM
This is a really nice piece of work. I hope you try the landscape soon and show us that also. I like color in a painting.....wonderful job!!

I don't know anything about kangaroos, so I can't help ya with that hip!! I actually don't see anything wrong with that hip and I don't most people would because we are not too familiar with kangaroo anatomy. I think the piece is well worth framing and hanging.

meglyman
03-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Sandy,

Thanks for your comments! I guess you're right about kangaroo anatomy - most people wouldn't be able to tell if you're fudging it. I still think I could have done better with the lighting on his hip, though. Oh well, practice makes perfect. Guess I have to go to the zoo again! Darn!

Meg