PDA

View Full Version : 'favourite things #2'

skallagrig
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
As i promised in the other favourite things thread, here's the start of the demo/wip.

i'm 'sposed to be packing to go to NZ for two weeks but couldn't resist starting :rolleyes:

the first shot is my setup, the pc screen that i work from, the pencil drawing that i do first, and then trace and transfer to the card.

in the closeup, i have put on the first layer of pastel, this is when i get the likeness/underlying structure of the face. if it's right now it won't get lost as i build up the layers.

i haven't touched the pastel yet, if i do any blending with my fingers it will be later.but mostly the pastels blend themselves as i build up the layers in tiny dabs.

the eye balls will remain pretty much untouched from now on. looks wierd real eyes peering out :eek:

and that's all i've got time for, i reckon i've got about an hour to pack :eek:

see you when i get back :wave:

meglyman
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I really liked the little boy and his train, and this one looks like it'll be just as good! You're excellent with faces. Thanks for the WIP and have fun in NZ!
Meg

Mary Brigid
03-08-2007, 02:13 PM
this is so nice to see. You have a great holiday :wave:
Mary Brigid

Kathryn Day
03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll be watching this one. Have a great holiday!

JON805
03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do a WIP. This one will be fun to watch!

Dougwas
03-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Thank you for sharing with us. It is very interesting seeing the different steps. And those eyes do look like they are peering out.

Doug

skallagrig
03-29-2007, 01:53 PM
well here i am again , back from the hols and bringing myself back to the top :D

Today i did the second pass on the face and have just started blocking in the hair,

not much blending with fingers ( except on the hair under painting) just lots of tiny little strokes, i'm sure there must be a quicker way of working!

the blue looks a little dominant at the moment but i'll leave it for now. she is wearing a turquoise top so it should pull together when thats done.

the only thing i changed on the eyes was to make the highlights a little brighter.

hope i'm not boring you too much :wave:

Donna T
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Carolyn, it is fascinating to watch this progress! She looks so good already and I look forward to seeing what you do next. Awesome work on your website too.

Donna T

skallagrig
04-04-2007, 03:07 AM
Well here I am again, bringing myself up to the top :)

I really haven't had time to take photos and post as we are in the middle of moving house as well as trying to get this finished :eek:

I've worked more on the face and i'm calling that finished, also the hair, which was a real pain to do, trying to get the curls and not losing the softness.

I had a catastrophe on the lower portion where it's sposed to be just pencil but I think I rescued it, would have benn really bad , haven't got time to do it over.

The background is also in which is just loose strokes of the colours i have already used in the face and a green a shade darker than the paper.

The t'shirt and arms are blended using my fingers and for your information i'm attaching a photo of my palette.

You can see that it gets quite extensive as i dot on all the different colours in layers to get the effect i want, i think it works anyway :rolleyes:

I've attached a close up of the face so you can see this, it's taken with a flash though and the lights especially in the hair are a bit sparkly.

you can also see that i'm really organised in how i arrange my pastels :D

there's also my trusty ruler to constantly check my measurements as they get covered up with pastel.

thanks donna for the encouragement,

hope this is of interest to someone :wave:

Constellation
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Carolyn... that is such a sweet fresh looking portrait.... beautifully done and thank you for all of your "creative" comments. Donna Roth

chewie
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
this is a great portrait, it tells me more of the girl than a snapshot would. and yes, its of high interest!! i also love the comments. watching til the end!

JON805
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not bored, I enjoying these WIP, thanks for updating us. She's looking beautiful!