PDA

View Full Version : The Path To The Overlook

Old Tex
03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
The learning process continues...

Comments welcome.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2007/100938-The_Path_to_the_Overlook_500.jpg

meglyman
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Ralph,

Cool!

I like all the textures you created. I can see the paper texture in some places, and the dry brush strokes in others, which is a neat effect. The color choices are interesting, and remind me of early afternoon on a bright summer day on top of the hill behind my Grandmother's ranch.

I really like how you do skies. So many people just do smooth blue... I love how you texture them instead. It could be clouds... it could be just sky... either way, I like.

And excellent job for working so small!! What kind of paper did you use?

Meg

Old Tex
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Meg!

Where the sky is concerned, I generally just mix up some paint and start slapping it on, and let the brush strokes do their own thing. I won't always get away with that, but I kind of like the effect, and glad you do, too.

I'm sort of stuck in my ways when it comes to paper. With a few exceptions, I've always worked on Crescent cold press illustration board. I always liked the texture for my drawings, and find that I like it for my gouache work as well. If it gets too wet, it does want to warp, but I've learned to tape it down on all four sides on a piece of masonite, and it stays pretty flat. It means I'm always working on a white surface, but I'm used to that.

I'm glad you like the painting!

Sonia
03-08-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't know about the learning process - I could definitely take some lessons from you. I too like the "loose" looking brush strokes.

Old Tex
03-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks, Sonia! When I decided I wanted to paint, I wanted it to be in a loose "painterly" style, brush strokes and all. I really appreciate your comments.

cmwynn
03-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I really like this painting in so many ways that I hesitate to critize. However, the tree "kissing" the top of the image is distracting. Your style and use of color make an excellent combination.

Old Tex
03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the observation, Connie. And for the kind words. I really appreciate it.