PDA

View Full Version : Practice Piece

Old Tex
03-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Maybe I'm not ready for sweeping vistas yet. Decided to move in close and see what I could do. This was a lot more fun.

Comments are welcome.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2007/100938-Practice_Trees.jpg

Sonia
03-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Looking good, Ralph. I should take a leaf out of your book (no pun intended) and practice my trees in more manageable proportions.

Old Tex
03-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Sonia. I'm still learning to mix paint and use brushes, but I'm determined to rise to the challenge. Bit off a bit too much the first time out, so thought I'd back up and try smaller bites.

meglyman
03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Ralph,

That's a nice little study! I find gouache easier to use on smaller supports - just seems to lend itself to smaller areas. I love how you've used the paint thickly, and how you painted the "negative space" of the sky into the tree branches.

The more I work with it, the more I realize how versatile gouache is. You've shown a wonderful range of textures with this one.

Meg

Old Tex
03-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks, Meg! I'm having more fun with the smaller pieces.

meglyman
03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Ralph,

All right, all right, I'll go cut up some of my large pieces of illo board and do some small gouache studies. Geez, if you keep posting such good stuff all the time, the rest of us will have no choice but to paint more often!

;) In other words, you're very inspiring.

Meg

Old Tex
03-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Meg,
You have no idea what a compliment that is. I'm really just stumbling along, trying to figure out all this paint and brushes stuff. I've wanted to do it for years, and figured I'd better get started. I didn't realize how much fun such a challenge would be. Thank you!