PDA

View Full Version : Along Route 1 ~ Revisited

Old Tex
03-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Just to show that I didn't give up.

I listened. I looked. I agonized. And then my wife said "It's about the TREES, dummy!" Well... she was a little kinder than that. So I moved in a bit closer.

I thinking I'm working too wet. When you want it to blend, it doesn't, and when you don't want it to, of course, it does. And I have a lot to learn about painting little trees. It's not the painting syle I'm looking for, but I am learning. Soooooo far to go...

Your comments are welcome.

Gouache 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2007/100938-Along_Route_1_B.jpg

pinkrybns
03-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Just to show that I didn't give up.

I listened. I looked. I agonized. And then my wife said "It's about the TREES, dummy!" Well... she was a little kinder than that. So I moved in a bit closer. And she was right! :D

That's basically what I was trying to say in my first reply in your other thread... albeit poorly stated probably. :rolleyes:

The hill looks more "hilly" in this version as well... has a nice inviting softness to it now.

Old Tex
03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks Judy,

I think I'm not ready for the big views just yet. I'm working on some smaller practice pieces, and just posted one of them.

meglyman
03-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Ralph,

This is a huge improvement over your first try! I really like this one. The composition is great, and the shadows of the trees really do a great job showing the contour of the hill. The sky is wonderful, too.

My only comment, and I'm not sure if it's just the scan/photo, but you could push the darks a little darker.

About working wet-on-wet... I am beginning to think that most of my problems stem from that as well. I am really impatient, so as soon as I see something that needs fixing, I want to do it NOW! But if it's still even a tiny bit wet, I end up either lifting the pigment, or blending it into mud. If I make myself wait 2 minutes until it's dry, then I can fix nearly anything with no lifting or blending.

Gouache is only actually opaque when the paint on the paper is dry. If it's wet, the gouache acts more like a dry-erase marker... you know how if you try to use one dry-erase marker over the top of another, it just erases the one underneath? Wet gouache reminds me of that.

Anyway... great job on this one!

Meg

Old Tex
03-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks, Meg. You're right about the dry-erase marker comparison. And, it doesn't seem to matter if I add a darker value, it just sort of dies into the other paint. I'm trying to use less and less water.

meglyman
03-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Have you tried using it straight out of the tube? I do that sometimes when the water just seems to get in the way...

Old Tex
03-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Thought I'd let you know that I made that step last night on a new piece. And I think that may be the key. We'll see. Don't know if I'll finish it tonight or not, but I hope to. Because of my learning curve, it takes me a little longer than it might take others, but that's okay. I'm really having fun with this.

cmwynn
03-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Definite improvement. I know what you mean about using too much water, but the darks would improve with less.