PDA

View Full Version : Vincent

Donna T
03-03-2007, 02:58 PM
This is my neighbor, Vincent Van Goat. I pass him on my way into town and took several photos of him last summer. There is one small rock in his field and he likes to stand on it - maybe he has some mountain goat in him. C&C welcome. I especially need to know if the background works because this is new for me. He's 14x18 on paper with pumice and gesso. Thanks!
Donna T

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2007/97763-goat_crop.jpg

K Taylor-Green
03-03-2007, 03:12 PM
This is very well done, Donna!

Marc Hanson
03-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi Donna,

This is a delightful piece of ole Vincent! Like all goats, you caught that look of half mischief, half comedian in him. Good work.

Two comments about the aritistic elments. One is about the background. It might be a little too organized, too repetitive. Some larger and medium shapes, some less round might feel more natural. Variety is what I'm getting at. It looks good, but if you're looking for input, that would be mine.

Also, there's an old addage: "Detail in the light, no detail in the shadow...Detail in the shadow, no detail in the light." Meaning that for variety's sake not having detail in both light and shadow, helps separate the two and keep the viewer understanding that there is a separation.

In this case, softening the strength of the strokes in the shadow area would allow the hair in the light to really sing as 'lit'. The detail in the shadow conflicts with the drawing of the detailed hair in the light.

Dark_Shades
03-03-2007, 03:26 PM
you have done a super job on the goat, and love his name lol - really like the texture you have achieved, the red collar sets it off a treat

Good colour and sense of light though out ........ like this alot

Donna T
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the comments, Kate and Marc. Marc, thanks for the advice about the background - I see what you mean about it lacking variety. I was so concerned with trying to get the values right that I overlooked the repetitive thing completely. When you say to soften the strength of the strokes in the shadow do you mean I should blend what I have? I'm afraid of making mud so I won't use my finger - should I add more strokes to unify the value, so that each stroke won't be as obvious? I really appreciate your comments - they help a lot!

Donna T

Marc Hanson
03-03-2007, 03:50 PM
When you say to soften the strength of the strokes in the shadow do you mean I should blend what I have? I'm afraid of making mud so I won't use my finger - should I add more strokes to unify the value, so that each stroke won't be as obvious? I really appreciate your comments - they help a lot!

Donna T
Donna try picking a color and value that is close to the overall average of the area and lightly, on it's side, stroke over the area to just slightly knock back some of the detail.
It won't take much because you aren't that far off, go slow. And yes, I wouldn't want to see you use a finger as that would be such a different texture that I'm afraid it would create imbalance.

Donna T
03-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks Marc, I REALLY appreciate your help!

Donna T

Sunflwr1
03-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Awwww, I just love this one and really enjoyed your little story about, Vincent. I too appreciate Marc's comments and feel I learned a little something.

He's 14x18 on paper with pumice and gesso.

I didn't think you could use a pumice and gesso mix on paper. What kind of paper?:confused:

NothingButPencils
03-03-2007, 04:31 PM
The goat is fantastic! I was going to suggest knocking back the background-- but then saw Marc said it much better than I was going to! I have now memorized his old adage as well ;-)
-RB

Donna T
03-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the comments Dark Shades, Marcia and RB. I hesitated to post this but I'm glad I did so we could all learn something from Marc. Marcia, I put my gesso and pumice on Rives BFK paper. I use gesso from Daniel Smith because it comes in several colors. I don't add much water to the mix to cut down on the warping. I basically just dry brush it on. If the paper warps a little I let it dry and then press it between two boards with all my heavy dictionaries and art books on top for a day or two. I'm so high tech.:)

Kathryn Wilson
03-03-2007, 07:59 PM
I hope we'll see the revised painting - so we can all see what Marc was talking about. I agree with his assessment - the background was fighting the strokes in the goat hair.

Donna T
03-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Ok, I made the changes that Marc suggested and I hope it looks better. I want the look of leaves but not leaf, leaf, leaf. I also unified the shadow on his back as best as I could so the individual hairs aren't as visible. Does this look better? C&C always welcome( and much appreciated ).

Donna T

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/97763-goat_crop_2.jpg

Artistammy
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Much better! Great job.
Tammy

Donna T
03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Tammy!

Donna T

Jean270
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Definately a winner now that you have toned down the background! :clap: Vincent could become a series if you have more pictures that you could use! I like his cheeky look!:D
Jean :wave:

Karen Margulis
03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I love it!!! You've definitely captured that goat look in his eyes. I like the changes you mad as well. Great job and hope to see more!
Karen

BlackHorseDesign
03-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Vincent Van Goat? Gee, would you happen to live near Elin Pendleton? :)

Lovely piece!

Artaholic
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Hee Hee , I love the title and the goat. I'll bet you got a lot of laughs seeing him standing on that rock day after day. Great painting.

alicat
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
love it, I think he looks great and what a character! The softened bg makes him stand out more and I like what you've done with the shadow on his back. He does look like he's about to get up to some mischief! you've done a great job, and I love the color as well. :clap: :clap:

Terry Wynn
03-06-2007, 04:47 AM
This is wonderful, Donna. The change Marc suggested was right on. Hope to see more of your work. You really captured his "goatness"!

Terry

Donna T
03-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks so much for the positive feedback, everyone!!! It's really good for me to know that I can make changes and improve my work. Jean, I'll think about a series...not sure if there is a demand for goat portraits but I did this one because I like him so much. Maybe there are others who appreciate their quirky quality too, or as Terry called it, their "goatness". :)

Donna T

Snowbound
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Vincent is wonderful. I really like the way you did him-- you really captured not only the goatness, but the personality of this particular goat. You got the hair just right. The composition is perfect, and the toning down of the background and shadows really brings him out.

I have several friends who are passionate about their goats. They GUSH about their goats. So I wouldn't be surprised if you find buyers for your goat paintings. Imagine, you could specialize in goat portraits for goat people!

Dayle Ann

Donna T
03-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Dayle Ann, for your encouragement and for letting me know that there are goat people out there. Gosh, maybe I'm a goat person and never even knew it!

Donna T

bnoonan
10-31-2009, 04:48 PM
I never knew you had such a famous neighbor?

Punky2
10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for bringing this back up Barb, you gave me a laugh!

Wonderful goat Donna! What a sly smile he has on his face!

Terri

saramathewson
10-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Donna,

i just love this! And I have learned a lot from Marc's comment as well--yay!

Sara