PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

stastn
03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
I am an art student at university and I recently had to do a 3ft x 5ft painting as an assignment based on the cultural landscape. I decided to paint the landscape using the axiom of landscape as a clue to culture.
With this in mind, i considered the routine, and customs of everyday life. I considered what was taking place in my country at the moment and i thought what is really the Reality? Presently, what is the routine, is not very pleasing. There is a lot of crime, violence, kidnapping, inflation... among many other issues. This is what i see. And i wanted to present this, not by painting someone shooting another person .. etc.. because that is very literal. I decided then to do this in a representational way. After much thought i painted a $100 tt bill on my 3ft x 5ft canvas. the currency of my country.
I did this with the thought of representing all these issues, not in any obvious way.. but because of the fact that, the money is the reason behind so many issues that are taking place i thought it was relevant.
I looked a bit into Andy Warhol's pop art, in terms of reference.

I thought that i had done a good job, but when my lecturer saw it she was very displeased, and said there was no validity, and i cannot Just paint a $100tt. She also said that "WHO WANTS TO LOOK AT A $100????" and she also said, "its not creative, because it was someone else's design"
She was not at all receptive to my ideas, and when trying to explain, she did not listen to me. :S

What do you think of this?
Are there any other artists beside Andy Warhol that i may make references to that worked in this way?
How do you think i may be able to convince her that there is validity in what i have done, and it is not Just a painting of a bill, but,the thought processes as well as meaning behind what is represented?

Charlie's Mum
03-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Hi Stastn - as a former teacher, if you'd presented me with a piece like this I'd have appreciated seeing - in sketches and work-outs - your thoughts in arriving at your conclusion .... including refs to whichever painters you had in mind.

Of course your work has validity - but your tutor doesn't know how you arrived at it ... you could simply have copied the bill without any thinking along the way:D

If you were presenting this as a piece of art to the world in general, how would you have explained, through your painting, why you chose that image? This is what you have to try to convey. Without seeing your work, it may be that you need a 'setting' for the bill showing how money influences, for good or ill, your country.

I hope this may be of some help to you :D

tarpalsfan
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I think the $100. was a very novel idea. And what's more, I get your point. Perhaps your art teacher was a bit unfair.:(

stastn
03-15-2007, 07:09 PM
i think it was a pretty good idea myself. I should post a pic of it.
maybe i will.
She still doesn't buy the idea. I even wrote a proposal letter and justified it in all the ways i could think of. I included references like jasper johns etc.
but, in the end, she wins, and i suppose its what SHE wants to see. So i have to re do it.
its unfair

Yorkshireartist
03-31-2007, 06:19 AM
If this had been my work I might have put 'Tree Roots' at the bottom of the bill to show that 'Money is the root of all evil'. Then perhaps go on to support that with a bit of a write up of my thoughts at arriving at that conclusion.

I think your idea is a novel one and she should have explained more to you what she was after. Don't know what she would have made of the work of Scaatchi and Scaatchi then if she didn't like this! They are now multi-millionairs so don't be discouraged!

saralindsey
04-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I hate to break it to you but there will always be professors who will disagree with you, especially in art it is subjective unlike math. I see your point of the idea but I can understand your professors point to. I'd be thankful for the chance to redo the assignment, so aren't so kind- mine never was, even when the entire class did the assignment the same "wrong" way because she failed to explain it.

Have you considered adding those things, that money buys that contribute to the evils of culture right now. You don't have to show people or violence but imply some of it. There are ways to expand on what you have done thus far, as a way to appease your professor.