PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Peas - loose flowers

AlaskaBarb
03-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Hey strangers :waving:

This is a near-duplicate thread which was posted on another forum about an hour ago, but I'm not sure how much cross-pollination there is of readership, so I'm posting here as well.

I'm rarely on the computer these days, and so dreadfully out of the loop. I want to see what everyone has been doing. Hopefully I'll have time to catch up soon.:wink2:
---------------------------------------

So, the way I work is usually to stick with the upcoming season for inspiration -- which would be, of course, spring. It's a method to stay focused and not start ten different projects at once.

But the seed and plant catalogs have been arriving in the mail, with gorgeous pictures of summer flowers. Thompson and Morgan's cover featured pink, lavender, and cream sweet peas, with more varieties inside, in their pastel frilly-ness, under the heading, "the fragrant garden." (Hmm. I think they should have scratch and sniff patches, like perfume ads.....)

I tried to back and focus on fritillaries and crocuses, but it was no use. I kept looking at those darned sweet peas, and decided to break my own rule. "It's dark, it's cold, it's WINTER, dammit."

Let me just say that sweet peas are difficult -- they want to crack wherever there's a complete fold, so I gave up trying to make an anatomically-correct sweet pea -- i.e., the pea pod hood is missing, because I couldn't get it to work. Still in pea pod R&D.

These are loose, not made up into anything yet, having just come out of the annealer this morning. But I think they would make a dainty summer necklace.

Hugs, :heart:
B

AlaskaBarb
03-01-2007, 06:22 AM
By the way, the hole goes down the flower and through the stem.

calisto
03-01-2007, 07:10 AM
oh, Barbara Im so in love with these - I can just smell them...

gingery
03-01-2007, 07:19 AM
These are just beautiful!:clap: They look real!:thumbsup: Holy cow!:cool:
ginger:wave:

Barbara Barteau
03-01-2007, 07:34 AM
They are so beautiful!!

oldejunque
03-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Barb,
As always you do the most delicate, lovely work.
Tomi

Juls
03-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Beautiful, Barb! You have such a gift for capturing the life in flowers. :heart:

lpi
03-01-2007, 11:09 AM
ooooh very pretty!

bousky
03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Do you ever make anything ugly? Your creations are just drop dead, drool mopping gorgeous!

Elegance_1
03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
A woman on a mission.... and mission accomplished! I love your work! They are so delecate and sweet :)

AlaskaBarb
03-01-2007, 06:20 PM
oh, Barbara Im so in love with these - I can just smell them...
Angelika, I think these need to have tiny absorbent pom-poms strung inside the flowers, so I can spray some essential oil or single-note perfume in them. The necklace could be sort of a modern day pomander. Sort of criminal to have flowers like this, without any smell!! I wonder if anyone makes sweet pea cologne?

Ekkie
03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
These are so beautiful Barb they almost made me cry!!! And I'm not kidding.

Gee, I wish you taught and I could come to Alaska for a class with you.

My garden and the seasons are my inspiration and I must admit to trying to imitate you to learn the technique. No luck so far - I could never get near.

No-one sees my imitation/practice flowers but if it offends you, please say so. I am trying to learn the technique to use for Australian native flowers.

Regards and thanks for the inspiration.
Jenn

AlaskaBarb
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
These are so beautiful Barb they almost made me cry!!! And I'm not kidding.

Gee, I wish you taught and I could come to Alaska for a class with you.

My garden and the seasons are my inspiration and I must admit to trying to imitate you to learn the technique. No luck so far - I could never get near.

No-one sees my imitation/practice flowers but if it offends you, please say so. I am trying to learn the technique to use for Australian native flowers.

Regards and thanks for the inspiration.
Jenn

That's a wonderful compliment. Had to laugh about wanting to come to Alaska -- right now the wind is so ripping cold that it stings -- but the sun is brilliant!

Touching on the other, here's some sisterly advice. Rather than trying to imitate me, look at nature, and then develop your own style -- it's always the best way to approach a subject, to keep from being derivative. There is so much real inspiration out there -- especially in your native Australia -- just get in tune with it, and let nature itself guide you -- you'll never be at a loss for ideas.

Realize, too, that the work I do isn't always practical -- I do it just for the love of the thing itself. Some of the pieces can be very fragile, too fragile to sell, really, and that's probably why you don't see a lot of others doing this sort of stuff -- doesn't pay. I just do the crazy delicate stuff as an exercise in flameworking. Others have translated the idea and then applied the flowers to beads -- bas-relief cameos, if you will, which are more durable -- this might work for you, if you're having trouble with the purely sculptural work.

Having said all that, if you choose to use my work for copying or inspiration, at least mention that fact on your website -- it would be the best compliment.

Thanks again!

Hugs,:heart:
B

BeadTowne
03-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh so gorgeous! They would make a beautiful lei.

Ekkie
03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Barb

Guess I used the wrong words. I should have said that I am using your "Tube Flowers" tutorial as a lot of Aussie wildflowers have a tubular shape.

I would not directly copy your work, as great as it is. I would just look stupid because mine could not compare. And yes, I would indeed acknowledge my "inspiration" if my blooms are ever good enough to show.

Thanks
Jenn

suzanneMI
05-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Let me just say that sweet peas are difficult -- they want to crack wherever there's a complete fold, so I gave up trying to make an anatomically-correct sweet pea -- i.e., the pea pod hood is missing, because I couldn't get it to work. Still in pea pod R&D.

These are loose, not made up into anything yet, having just come out of the annealer this morning. But I think they would make a dainty summer necklace.

No words ... should have sent a poet ... LOL
Seriously, absolutely, incredibly and stunningly BEAUTIFUL!
Like Jenn, moisture accumulated in me left eye. :angel:
I'm like that; beauty can make me cry ... music, art, nature, spiritual

Nalynn
05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Barb - try Bath & Body Works. They used to have a Sweet Pea line of lotions and bath gels.

Angelika, I think these need to have tiny absorbent pom-poms strung inside the flowers, so I can spray some essential oil or single-note perfume in them. The necklace could be sort of a modern day pomander. Sort of criminal to have flowers like this, without any smell!! I wonder if anyone makes sweet pea cologne?

Gayle_Herring
05-06-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm glad this thread popped back up. These are absolutely stunning, Barb. Just beautiful.

Gayle

Sharyl
05-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Barb - try Bath & Body Works. They used to have a Sweet Pea line of lotions and bath gels.

I acutally have some. PM me and i will see about getting it to you.

I love these flowers. It was a OMG moment when I clicked on those flowers.

You do wonderful work.

Katiefl
05-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Wow these are beautiful... I would love to see them in a finished piece!